Special Offers

Jennifer71
Level 1
San Francisco, CA

Special Offers

My guest has a flat budget for a certain number of nights. I thought that I was sending her the right special offer based on the "guest pays" box in the special offer section, but she said the demand was 20% higher. I know we pay Airbnb and SF Hotel tax but how can I figure out what to charge so that we meet her budget? She is getting annoyed at what she perceives as my raising the rates without telling her, and I cannot find any helpful information to work this calculation. 

1 Reply 1
Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

@Jennifer71 Yes, figuring this out may require some math!  You'll need to start out with what the guest can pay then subtract the Airbnb fee, occupancy tax (I assume Airbnb collects it for you as an add-on) and cleaning fee. You'll need to reverse engineer the starting price which is not easy to do and near impossible to get to an exact number.  

But here's an example.  Assuming a guest can only pay $1,000 total here's the type of calculation you'd need to do.  Note that I am assuming a 10% occupancy tax and a 12% Airbnb fee which is on a sliding scale based on the amount of the nightly fee.

$1,000

-    250  cleaning fee

-      74   Airbnb service fee @12%

-     62   Occupancy tax on new price @10%

_________

$  620  Special Offer rate.  

So if your special offer is $620, here's how it will be calculated: 

$620

+   74  Airbnb Fee

+250  Cleaning Fee

+  62   Occupancy Tax

_______

$1,006

Your payout would be $620 plus the cleaning fee of $250 to equal $870. 

The total amount actually comes out to $1,006 but close enough.  You can play around with these numbers to try to fit your guest's budget.  Between the Airbnb fee and the occupancy tax,  guests pay quite a bit more than the nightly price.  

Hope this helps....off to get another cup of coffee!