Special requests that make it impossible to accept a reservation

Kelly0
Level 3
Washington, DC

Special requests that make it impossible to accept a reservation

Hi everyone,

I'm a SuperHost in Washington, DC with 330+ reviews. I'm starting to see more "strange requests" with reservation requests that often are making it impossible to accept. For example:

*"We're going to be clean so I can only accept if you waive the cleaning fee."

*"I know your check-in is 4pm or later but my flight arrives at 9am so I need to check-in early." (Note that I often allow early check-in if I don't have a guest the night before."

*"I know that you have a 2-night minimum on your WV property but we can only stay one night."

*"I have a late flight so I need check-out in the early evening instead of 11am."

Most of these are outside the realm of possibility because I usually have same-day check-ins and check-outs. Regarding the 2-minimum for WV that's because I have to pay so much for my housecleaner to drive nearly an hour to get there so one-night just doesn't cut it financially.

Another example: "I need to only pay a maximum of $x for me to stay." Often this is too low for me to consider.

The problem for me is that these funny requests are coming in with "reservation requests" and not "reservation inquiries". Thus, I have to "decline" which ultimately doesn't look good for me.

Thanks,

Kelly

2 Replies 2
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Kelly0

😄 lool , unbelievable...

but I totally understand your frustration and worry . You could put in your house rules or description that you don't allow discounts but those people don't read anyway so it is useless 😞

Similar happens to me all the time when people with children sends requests or they instant book for children as adults despite our no-children house rules. 

Air b n b actually sent us an email saying we declined too many, and we were going to lose our super host status.  I know exactly what you are saying.  Someone else said to ignore some of them, so your numbers for declining aren't so high... or to keep asking questions until they finally go away....