Stained Sheets + Security Deposit

Traci1
Level 7
York, ME

Stained Sheets + Security Deposit

What are other host's thoughts on charging against the security deposit for stained sheets (and making them unusable)? I've tried getting a stain (maybe blood, not sure) out of a fitted sheet for three days without success. The guests only stayed two nights. Thank you in advance for your advice!

42 Replies 42
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I would 

Jennifer19
Level 4
Windham, CT

Sheets are expensive, and it is frustrating to lose one half of a good pair of sheets, but I do consider this the cost of doing business.  I do not charge for stains to sheets.

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Traci1  Many hosts realize that stains can occur on sheets and towels even with the  most respectful of guests.  Therefore the stains are part of doing business and replacement of linens would be expected.  If stains appear to be related to activity that is against the house rules, like cleaning up a mess created by partying, the security deposit is ofen claimed.

Some hosts will tell you it's "wear and tear" on the sheets and an unrecoverable expense. 

Some hosts will tell you to charge them for a new, full set since the set is now ruined.  

Both extremes.  I sit in the middle - ask the guest for the cost of trying to launder it 3 times to remove the stain - be reasonable and use any monies collected to go toward replacing the fitted sheet.  You can write off the sheets on your taxes as an expense albiet, they are supposed to be amoritized over a few years.  Post pictures of how the stain won't come out even now.  3 times to wash, soap and spray cleaner comes to about $10 and I would go through the Resolution Center but not necessarily asking from the security deposit. 

I think there is a certain amount/level of stain which is "bearable".  Once I had a guest who left the sheets covered in feces... That was a bit out of my comfort zone 😄

Traci1
Level 7
York, ME

Thanks all. I guess I consider Airbnb to be a more personal experience than staying in a hotel (you're literally staying in someone's home) and would have appreciated the guest mentioning it. Being a woman, I understand that accidents can happen however it would have been nice to receive a note about it. And I guess I'm struggling with what constitiutes damage serious enough to charge against the security deposit and what doesn't.

Roz4
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

I agree, I think guests should mention it. I have had this happen twice this month- both incidents were nose bleeds. I was thinking of telling guests staying longer than a night or two to let me know if things get stained so I can soak them straight away and provide fresh linen. Otherwise it will set in. I was fortunate, it was on white linen so I bleached it. I have other linen that I could not have bleached. I was wondering if white is the way to go for this very reason. 

Karen-and-Will0
Level 10
Maryland, United States

@Roz4: I use white sheets too due to concerns about getting out stains but also colored sheets fade over time. Quality white ones don’t fade and usually look good longer.

Can you tell me what type of sheets you buy? Just had someone leave a stain I couldn't get out and need to buy a new pair.

@Roz0, I also had such accident and the good thing that the guest came to me immediately. Cold water and quick wash saved things and my nerves. But those women that are going to bed with their make up on... make me wonder. In this case I’d ask for compensation because it is not an accident 

Vindhya1
Level 2
Niagara Falls, Canada

My question is would you leave stained sheet as a guest?? I wouldn't so why is it acceptable as a host. I think it is only courteous and respectful to let the host know that there is a stained sheet/ towel. I have cotton rounds for make up removal and my towels are still stained with mascara and make up. 

My only answer is bleach and this is the cost of doing business.  

Adrienne1
Level 3
Queenstown, New Zealand

Hi

I wouldn't charge.  I've thought I've had bedding/towels ruined a couple of times over the past year - but used Vanish Stain Remover gel - left on for longer than recommended and then done an anti-stain 40 degree C cycle in my washing machine and everything has come out fine [blood/curry stains].

Adrienne

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/8496045

Thanks for the tip! I've tried stain remover, then hydrogen peroxide and, at last resort, bleach without success.

have you tried Softscrub? Wet the sheets and let soft scrub sit in them. works for me.