Stained Sheets, angry guests.

Stained Sheets, angry guests.

I am fairly new to Airbnb..
I am aware this could be a touchy subject for some, however, I need to ask.

I had 2 guests recently that engaged in sexual activity while staying in my home. ( private bedroom shared house ) and ruined a set of sheets, with bodily fluids and lubricant. ( yes I am aware seamen comes out of sheets but the lube did not ).

Now that being said, I knew coming into this that there would be some of this going on. However, I would have expected they try to clean it up, or let me know so I could soak the sheets and try to salvage them..

I checked the posts on this page to see how to handle the situation ( writing the review). Everything I wrote said " be honest if they ruined something say they ruined it " so that is what I did.

Well the guests have since messaged me directly expressing how bothered they are with my honesty. I'm not sure if they are mad because it was honest and showed them in a bad light or if they thought I wouldn't notice?? I really don't know.

What I do know is I would be absolutely mortified if I left sheets like that in someone's home..

So I guess I'm asking, how would you have handled the situation?
40 Replies 40
Jill69
Level 3
Granger, IN

I would not have mentioned that. It's embarrassing. I wouldn't have wanted someone to write that about me. You can buy an acceptable set of sheets at Goodwill for $5.

I disagree. You cannot buy a good set of sheets at Goodwill. I try to use only high count 100% cotton sheet sets. If a guest stains one sheet, the set is ruined. I shouldn't have to hunt around for replacements.

can i place my order with you for sheets, I can only find matching sheets if i buy a package. Best price i have though Amazon @ 25 fior full

Cheryl13
Level 2
Tasmania, Australia

Hi Hannah, I'm also fairly new to Air BnB and I understand how you feel, especially when we provide good quality linen.  Perhaps a private comment to those guests stating that you would have preferred them mentioning the stains with an apology.  It's a delicate matter but there are bound to be upsets along the way, it's all part of the experience.  I wish you all the best for future hosting and hope you don't feel too upset by this incident.

Staining is staining. There is nothing "delicate" about ruining a set of sheets, a tablecloth or a rug. I don't care what the substance is - I am going to report it if the damage is serious. I throw out pillowcases all the time because inconsiderate guests with greasy heads don't have sense enough to wash their hair before using my linens. I am not going to try and pay for a complete sheet set.

After reading all the comments on the cost of sheets, and trying to figure out a solution.. I think that Hannah did the right thing, and hopefully she'll be the only one out the cost of sheets, I am guessing the guests are truly embarassed and hopefully will be more careful next time! Thats the only solution, give a review or the guests won't know, or think they got away with it.   Good Job!  When you give someone a review they know who its from, and thats what makes it hard to give someone a bad review.  Guests think they hold all the cards, because they're "favored" with Airbnb.. it shouldn't be that way. Just as Lizzie said in a different post, Airbnb  accepts  reviews from hosts on guests, but will not remove the retailiation reviews for the host... thats just illogical and bad management.  

Lois-and-Darryl0
Level 10
Rochester, WA

I am a relatively new Host as well, and knew this "activity" would be going on.  Here is what I have done to prepare for this.  (I would not have said anything either; they may not have known they badly stained the sheets.  And they definitely now won't return for another visit.)  Initially, I purchased an extra set of sheets and undersheets for each of our bedrooms as a backup.  I inspect the sheets and the undersheet when I strip the bed.  So I don't ask anyone to strip the beds because I want to see if the sheets are stained.  I've recently purchased a 2nd backup set of sheets, so that I'm always covered if there's either ruined sheets, or an excessively dirty house so that I don't have time to do all the laundry, or even if both these things happen.  BTW:  I would NEVER ever put second-hand or cheap sheets on our bed.  What a turn-off to Guests.  Good luck.  We've had Guests who really did some damage to our beautiful, clean, newly remodeled home.  But by far the majority are respectful of our home.  After a LOT of thought and discussions, we've decided that we need to accept that these things will happen, and we have not said anything.  It's going to happen.  Those people will not step inside our home again.  That's our comfort.

Guests are sleeping on the same laundered sheets that other guests have slept on. New sheets become second hand the minute a stranger sleeps on them. Guests would never know otherwise. Cleanliness is the key. My comment about buying $5 sheets from Goodwill was more to express that spending a little money buying second hand sheets is a better option than humiliation.

I don't think I would've put that in a review -- or I at least wouldn't have given any details about what was ruined. You could've just filed a claim with AirBNB and tried to get the sheets replaced. It sounds like you were being a little petty. 

I don't think Air BNB would replace sheets as that's considered one of the wear & tear items that we all have to replace at one time or another (some sooner than others), right? I could be wrong, please correct me if I am. I assume guests have a sex life, as much as I don't want to know about it, I think it's just one of those things you have to expect is going to go on in your place, so mentioning it in a review is going too far IMO. I understand your frustration though. Lube stains can be a killer to get out, but they do come out. Do a google search & you'll find lots of products out there work on these types of stains.

PS - NO ONE is going to tell you they left sex stains on your sheets, ever. 

BTW- **bleep** BLEACHES colored fabric and can leave yellow stains on white fabric. They DON'T wash out. Recent guests ruined my best set of sheets because they couldn't bother to use the tissue box next to their bed. Seriously! What is wrong with some people??

I just had a guest who took the sheets and blankets!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now I took a laundry marker and put my name on the edges of all my sheets

Sorry, I’m new to Airbnb and reading up on past posts to expand my knowledge. What did you do when they stole your sheets and blankets? Did you include that in your review of them? Did you seek compensation from them or Airbnb?