Star Ratings v Number Rating - Why it is deceiving and not good for hosts

Star Ratings v Number Rating - Why it is deceiving and not good for hosts

Hi everyone,

Airbnb now uses a new number rating out of 10 (ex. 9.17) to translate guest's reviews from a 5-star rating. I find this troubling, especially because the NUMBER RATING does not necessarily reflect the hosts' current status/rating. For example, the number rating is based on the lifetime of ALL the reviews, so for guests with more than 1 year hosting or over 100 reviews, the is a good chance that OLDER REVIEWS might impact and drop the overall number rating heavily. If Airbnb would like hosts to modify and make changes to their homes/units, to help increase guest comfort and stay, then very OLD REVIEWS should not affect the OVERALL rating. Airbnb should recognize that guests are putting an effort into creating a more positive experience for their guests. NEWER REVIEWS should be rewarded and recognized.

We refurbished one of our units with new floors, all new furniture, paint, and some other cosmetic upgrades and our new ratings have been very high! Unfortunately, since we have over 150 reviews - NEWER RATINGS do not really affect the overall rating that much. OLD REVIEWS is not representative to the changes and upgrades that have been made, especially with customer comfort, cleanliness, and support.

At this point, I am considering DELETING MY ACCOUNT and creating the same one exact one again, WITHOUT any reviews. A fresh start. The one huge disadvantage to this is that I will not have the 155 reviews and the customer confidence, along with the Airbnb algorithm on my side. Competition is tough and this is affecting my current bookings dramatically. New listings with only 5 reviews can have a 9.98% compared to someone like me with over 155 reviews and a 7.89%. The last 75 reviews that I have had have been up in the range of 9.95%.  Unfortunately, guests have NO WAY of understanding this!

So, what I suggest -

1) Review number score based on the LAST 100 reviews and/or

2) Review number score based on the last 365 days

3) Either use a Number Rating or use a Star Rating

4) No Number rating to hosts with less than 50 guests

Anyone else agrees??? Please discuss...

Airbnb.com/h/carolina-beach-oceanfront-serenity

Airbnb.com/h/carolina-beach-seaside-sanctuary
Airbnb.com/h/carolina-beach-beachfront-bliss

10 Replies 10
Jim472
Level 10
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Where is that number located? I don't see it on my profile, perhaps airbnb is market testing that feature regionally. 

Take a look at my listing - the number is just underneath the price per night and above the check-in/check-out dialogue box.

Airbnb.com/h/carolina-beach-oceanfront-serenity

Also, it appears on a laptop and usually, it does not appear on the mobile phone. Strange how its not consistent. Awful planning and execution.

@Alia-and-Paul0 Can you take a picture of the rating out of 10 and post it here?

Jim472
Level 10
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Hmm. Yeah I don't see it. All I get is the *4.78 158 reviews (158 reviews) no percentages at all. Oh well, I agree with your limits and they makes sense.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Alia-and-Paul0  I have never seen what you are talking about. Maybe you are part of a new "test" Airbnb is trying out. When I look at that listing, no rating number at all shows up in that box. And in your first listing, it shows up as 4.9. I didn't look at the others.

Amanda1324
Level 1
Farrants Hill, AU

I don't get ratings at all.

It seems like I have full 5 stars for guests and great reviews but some come up as a total 4 rating. What am I missing? 

Piotr48
Level 10
Wrocław, Poland

There's no such rating.

Alon1
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Alia-and-Paul0 

RE: '2) Review number score based on the last 365 days.'

It's called SuperHost program:

Type in SEARCH: 'Superhost'.

Superhost Evaluations

Qualification is automatically evaluated every 3 months (“qualification period”) on the first day of every calendar quarter (“review date”). If a host satisfies the performance standards and other qualifications for the most recent 12 months from the review date, then the host is automatically eligible to become a Superhost for the qualification period. (For example, if the review date is on July 1, 2014, then a host’s performance from the most recent previous 12 months from July 1, 2014 is measured.)

Alon1
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Alia-and-Paul0 

ps. To qualify for this already existing criteria it requires an average of 4.8 (out of 5).

Otherwise, like everyone who has responded to your thread, I've yet to see the ' new number rating out of 10'.