Star-gazing

Cor3
Level 10
Langerak, South Holland, Netherlands

Star-gazing

Hi Community,

A couple of weeks ago, I witnessed a very ‘odd thing’ with regards to reviews and the ratings.

As I met an acquaintance of mine, and we were having a chat about Airbnb.

She told me, that she was an infrequent user of Airbnb (like once a year, to fill in the summer holidays – as a guest). And last year she had been a guest, while staying at another property in ‘our’ town (this was actually the reason for starting the conversation). For this year’s summer, she already booked another property in the same area.

The main motivator for her using Airbnb, is obviously price (what else is new).

So we came to discuss our property. And as she was interested, she immediately looked up our property on her phone, via the App (on basis of my directions).

While she was busy, I was watching her a little – as in a little behavioral study experiment 🙂

So, when she found our listing. The first thing she did was scrolling through a couple of photos. And then moving on to the reviews. On top of the reviews there are the 7 averages of our total star-score. She stopped for a moment to let these sink in (this surprised me actually a little, as she gave these that much attention). And then she went on to glance through a couple of reviews.

Nothing wrong with this of course. As I suppose this is exactly what most potential guests will do (before reading the actual listing text itself).

But then, and to my complete and shocking surprise. She could see next to the profile picture of each former reviewing guest. The actual star-rating each guest gave me in the category: Overall experience!

I would never ever have thought, that this was even possible!

Personally I keep a very close eye on our reviews and associated ratings. And in dealing with reviews, as they come in. My strategy is: Always reply to every review. Whether it is excellent, or less excellent.

As sometimes, when I look at other listings. I notice some hosts only reply publicly to the lesser reviews. Which – according to my opinion – acts like a huge signpost. I.e.: Before you go any further, you have to read this first!

Normally-spoken , I rest a little assured, knowing that your average score is always rounded to the closest half star. I.e. Score in any category of 4.75 stars, will show as 5 stars. And a score of 4.749 stars, will show as 4.5 stars. And whenever you have gathered sufficient reviews. The mathematical law of large numbers start to kick in.

But now with certain people being able to see individual guest ratings, I'm not that relaxed anymore!

We all most likely know, that you just cannot please everyone, all of the time. As what some consider to be a big plus, will be considered by others as a minus.

And we all know what the destructive effect can be, of that single “cannot be pleased, no matter what you do” horror-guest, heading your way – sooner or later.

Obviously, once you have gathered 3 reviews – or more. The average of the associated individual star-ratings do become visible in your listing (Overall experience and the other 6 categories).

When I look up my listing (or any listing that is). I can only see the 7 star-averages on top of the complete list of reviews. I’ve never been a guest myself (I know: On my bucket-list). So maybe this has got something to do with the difference in system behavior.

Most guests are likely not really interested in tons of very good reviews. But they might be more interested in reading those few reviews, that were less good. As these might be considered to be more factual or even the truth. At least, I would like to be aware as soon as possible. Without having to read dozens of pages with reviews. Of course while reading a lesser review, usually it is pretty easy to pick-out either a revenge-review or a review left by a guest, whom cannot be pleased, no matter what.

I’m really wondering, whether anyone out here, has either witnessed the same or has an explanation for this particular system behavior. As I would really like to understand the cause of this. And what the effect of this could be.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance for your reply!

28 Replies 28
Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Cor3 I do not see this when viewing your listing on my laptop or phone app.

Cor3
Level 10

Hi @Lisa723,

Thanks for checking. As you have been a guest before on Airbnb.

It must be 1 of these vague undocumented functionalities of Airbnb.

Because when I met her some time later, I did double-check this with her. And it was still as mentioned before.

I.e. In theory weeding out the possibility of a temporary glitch. And just to make sure, I’ve seen it right.

So I suppose it only happens, under a number of conditions or something (She is for sure not working for Airbnb or something).

When I meet her again (and I suppose I will). I will ask her to check a number of other properties worldwide. To see whether that makes a difference.

@Cor3  I use to be able to see them, but this stopped a while ago for me. I do not see them on the phone or the computer now. Maybe it's a bonus perk for frequent travelers now. I haven't been anywhere on AirBnB for a while now. 

Cor3
Level 10

Hi @Letti0,

Thanks for your input. The software of Airbnb is constantly changing. So every explanation to Airbnb features on this Community, might be outdated at some time. I will continue to investigate this.

Your reply could be a lead on this functionality. I.e. Anybody with an upcoming trip, or something.

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

@Cor3 "Most guests are likely not really interested in tons of very good reviews. But they might be more interested in reading those few reviews, that were less good. As these might be considered to be more factual or even the truth..."

I do the same thing myself,  after the first few, I zoom in on negative reviews to see IF there is anything truly informative that I should know. In most cases where it concerns an overall good 'product', bad reviews are written by incompetent, entitled or outright stupid people, and this is not hard to discern.

In hosting however, the response of the host always catches my attention. If it is well-written the 'bad' review I dismiss as coming from someone I have no identity with.

And Hi @Cor3 .

Cor3
Level 10

Hi @Fred13,

Indeed, we're on the same line here.

@Fred13 I too think the negative reviews can tell you more than the ill temper of the guest. But also like you, I believe the owner response is the most informative. A host who makes excuses is not going to get my business, but those who acknowledge the problem and state their intended solution are showing good communication skills. I was reading a negative review on one property where the guest said the place was nice but the neighborhood was very dodgey. The host argued that it wasn't, that his neighborhood association worked to keep problems to a minimum and that everyone enjoyed living there. The very next review bosted 4 stars. Since it was not 5, I read it. This guest said that the stay was very nice and the apartment was nicely furnished with wonderful amenities, but said the one negative was all the blood on the front steps as she was exiting the building. As I recall, the host didn't respond to that review.

Cor3
Level 10

Hi @Donna240,

I fully agree, never argue with the guest in the public reply. But it is not always easy to come up with the right reply.

were you able to see the 4-star overall rating the next guest gave to this host?

Thanks.

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

No it is not @Cor0, but certainly easier if one allows time to let things gain a wiser perspective.  What do we always say to ourselves? "I wish I would have thought of this or that" during an argument. With reviews people do have time.

@Cor3 All I saw was the guest review with 4 stars; isn't that the overall review? I seldom see specific ratings for location, cleanliness etc. Could I be reading older reviews?

Cor3
Level 10

Hi @Donna240,

Maybe I should make my question a bit more clear: Could you see the overall star-rating for that particular stay, next to the profile picture of that guest?

I'm not talking about your own listing, but anybody else's listing.

I tried to illustrate below, what my acquaintance actually saw on her mobile in the App. In the red circle. So the illustration below is not real. But this is what it looked like.

When I look at a listing of somebody else, then I don't see individual star scores on any review.

This is how it looked like (more or less).This is how it looked like (more or less).

@Cor3 My answer is no, but I only use a computer and don't own a cell phone, so I can't view the app.

Cor3
Level 10

Hi @Donna240,

Thanks for checking anyway.

Thank you, @Cor3 It was actually helpful for me to learn my limitations as a non cell phone user. <]:O)