Star rating for guests

Darcia0
Level 4
Umeå, Sweden

Star rating for guests

For each guest review, a host is asked to give a star rating for the guest's cleanliness and communication.

However, when looking at a guest's profile, the star rating for these aspects is not visible.

How can I as a host see these ratings prior to accepting a booking?

If it is not visible, than what is the value of completing these questions?

110 Replies 110

Good point. But,  being clean, following rules, good communication does not sum up the experience. There should also be a star rating for overall experience of hosting the guest.  I have had 5 star guests for the rating system allowed, but they have been an absolute pain to host and there is nowhere to indicate that they are a high maintenence nightmare. If stars are important for hosts they should be as important for the guests and included in their profiles.

Hi Ange,

Just curious...when you say they were 5 star guests but they were high maintenance, what made them 5 star, in your opinion.

I'm trying to compose a review for some guests who, on the one hand, communicated very well before their stay, and when they were leaving but, they spilled something on the rug in the bedroom and never mentioned it...also they backed into my neighbor's car when they were pulling out of my driveway and never mentioned that either (I had to hear about it from my neighbor)...

So, I'm torn between 5 stars for communication and 1 star, if you know what I mean...

Thanks!

@Marilynn4   Five because they were clean, respected the rules and communicated well.  Super high maintenance because their expectations and entitled attitude was off the charts.  If we hosts had the Overall rating I would have given them one for that.   If I were in your shoes I would definitely  give your guests less than 5 stars for not communicating that they backed into your neigbors car.

I do agree. I get guests all the time that we’re super rude and entitled but followed check out and kept unit clean. I usually just give them a 3 star. 

@Genoveva2    Better would be if Airbnb added, as ratings to give guests, 'check-in/check-out' and 'overall', it gives a more complete picture.

I agree.

And, how about a star rating for them for "check in"?  Half of my guests over the last few years have come late without giving me any warning.  Hosts need to know if that is likely, because that might affect their whole schedule.

I bet most of us only do airbnb as a source of income on the side.  We have other commitments; jobs, families, sports, lives ...

The check in and out is in the House Rules rating.

yes, we need a rating for "check-in" and "check-out". I have had guests who did not arrive at the agreed time so I wasted hours waiting for them.  Other guests tell me at the last minute that they will check-in "outside" the schedule check-in on my listing. Other guests check-out late despite being told I needed to clean the room for the incoming guests.

That is SO inconsiderate!

Airbnb should add those 2 ratings for the convenience of the hosts. Too many guests abuse our welcome!

That’s why self check in is the best. This way you don’t have to worry about meeting them or checking them in. 

Dede0
Level 10
Austin, TX

While I, too, would strongly like to see guests' individual (averaged, of course) ratings (especially the Cleanliness level and the final Thumbs-Up/Down), I can imagine that AirBnB itself has uses for the information. I'm sure they use it during disputes or when making decisions about security deposit claims. For example, if a host claims a guest totally trashed a space like a rock-star, requiring an extra-expensive professional cleaning, a guest who's gotten nothing but 5-star cleanliness ratings will probably be given more of the benefit of the doubt than a perpetual 1-star guest. And so on...

Trust me, @Dede0.  Based on what I've read in these discussion rooms, airbnb never gives the host the benefit of the doubt.  All disputes are always resolved in favour of the guests.

Bela5
Level 2
San Cristóbal de las Casas, Mexico

Sounds like Trip Advisor who doesn't even have the option of rating a guest. Sheesh

Not true. I had a dispute with a guest who showed up expecting 2 beds instead of 1. He and his buddy smoked cigars and left ashes and cigar wrappers in my apartment, spilled drinks, then left in the middle of the night (betwen 1 am and 2 am), literally leaving every light on in the apartment and both doors wide open during a heat wave. They also turned the AC down to 60 so the unit ran until it froze. I filed a claim with AirBNB for the full amount of my security deposit and received it. Of course, I photo-documented everything when I filed my claim.

How much do you typically claim for a security deposit? Things can add up quickly!