Star rating for guests

Darcia0
Level 4
Umeå, Sweden

Star rating for guests

For each guest review, a host is asked to give a star rating for the guest's cleanliness and communication.

However, when looking at a guest's profile, the star rating for these aspects is not visible.

How can I as a host see these ratings prior to accepting a booking?

If it is not visible, than what is the value of completing these questions?

110 Replies 110

@Annette33, good to know about a message being an acceptable response.

I usually write to the guest and give them a time frame to answer with an explanation that I will be penalized if I don't accept or decline their request within 24 hours and if I haven't heard back from them that I will decline and they are can send another request if they are still interested.

Re: keeping hosts busy.  My god!  I spend SO MUCH TIME doing administrative stuff for my listings (i.e. on my computer - reviewing requests, responding to questions, sending confirmations on arrival times the day before arrivals, sending an email the day after check in, sending an email the day before check out, sending an email after they've checked out to ask them what they want me to do with the things they left behind ....) it never ends!  I knew there would be a big time commitment cleaning the apartment and doing laundry, but I hadn't counted on so many hours on my computer staying on top of everything.

Its not like we don't have lives: families, jobs, sports teams, social lives, etc.

@Chad-and-Char0 , careful: if you have an "inquiry" that comes with pre-approve or decline, that is the case where "just" writing a message is good enough, contrary to Airbnb pressuring  you that  you need to use one of those buttons... you don't, it has no influence over your response rate.

But , if you have a true "booking request",  that comes with either approve or decline, then you do need to use one of those buttons, or your response rate suffers.

Yes, thanks @Annette33. I did understand that distinction.

I know we have to reply to booking requests within 24 hours.

I didn't realize that we could message a reply to a pre-approval request and that would count as a response.

@Chad-and-Char0 , ok, great! we're on the same  page:)

I totally agree. I asked if there was a way to notify prospective hosts that I had decided on a place. Airbnb just said to not worry about it. I really appreciate answers to my questions from hosts before I rent. Previously, after I decided to rent a place Airbnb would ask something like "Would you like to notify other hosts that you have rented?" and I could simply check "yes". I haven't seen that option recently, asked about it, and was told to just not worry about it.

Louise204
Level 1
Port Kembla, Australia

While I'm not a host on Airbnb, I accommodate uni students, lecturers and 457 visa workers at my boarding house. Maybe hosts need to find their own way of meeting up online and communicating, especially in the case of particularly nasty, or filthy, 'guests', for their own safety and peace of mind. A closed Facebook group comes to mind. 

Hi I am new to Airbnb as a host, and I left a damming review of a guest because she deserved it. I can only hope that I did right in doing so, but in my humble experience call a spade a spade.

Momi0
Level 10
Honolulu, HI

@Darcia0   Maybe you want to try this?   On the helpful suggestion of another Superhost, I have now added the Stars for each category into the review.  The most recent guests (20 year old Swedish girls) were given 3 Stars in their review for Clealiness with some details.  And I went into much further detail as to why they got that 3 stars in the private feedback so they could be aware of how to improve for their future hosts.  But in other categories I gave them 4 and 5 stars.  I have also added my own category since people do stay in our home, titled"  How Much Fun This Guest Is to Have Around"  and my last 2 bookings both received 5 Stars for that.  I later received emails from both bookings thanking me for writing such detailed reviews as they were all first time users of Airbnb.  I'm sure they will have no problem getting accepted again by future hosts.  🙂 

If you feel that me or another host have helped you, feel free to click on the "thumbs up" button at the end of any post. Thank you so much.

Aloha, Momi

Great way to contact Airbnb or via Twitter at AirbnbHelp / Facebook

I have seen this as a recurrent subjets for hosts all over the world, in   blogs, groups, community centers, whatsapp groups, facabook groupS, well all over. And in a way I am surprised Airbnb did not do it yet.

I insist the same way as hosts are compeled to answer as quicky as possible,  having a time lapse to respect. ALSO SHOULD GUESTS.

Stars or some other form of simple and direct evaluation should be in the guest profile. This is because as I read in various comments here, most of hosts DO NOT publish sincere reviews, leaving to the next host the sad task of finding out he has hosted a "high maintenence" by him/her self...

and moreover because I belive that it is fair to do so, same rules for everybody, so when they have to star hosts, they'll do it more serously too!!!, and not just comparing with a hotel.... which AIRBNB is not!

Please to who ever reads this: if you agree , share it and eventualy AIRBNB  will do something about it.

Thanks

@Analisa0

I think being allowed to see Guests stars is a great idea.

I never thought about how it might impact guests responses to hosts and possibly even the guests behavior.

I am sure most guests do not want to see 3 or less stars next to their names especially if they plan to use Airbnb more than once, so it might actually make them better guests and more thoughful about how they rate hosts knowing that their stars will be public.

But I do think Airbnb need to give some guidance for ratings, some clarity.

Many people think 5 is for perfection alone and only applies to their dream.

I had someone tell me that although everything was amazing and they had a wonderful time and would recommend me to all their friends they reserved 5 for the Ritz alone.

I agree, it's too bad that hosts are not able to see any rating, neither text nor stars, of guests asking to book! Airbnb should make this possible, otherwise the ratings are useless.

Kristy0
Level 2
Colorado, United States

Curious how do you see the guests reviews before accepting their reservation? I do not seem to have that option when I am notified that they would like to stay.

@Kristy0

If they have any reviews at all, you will find them under their profile.

Yes @Kristy0. Click on their photo and you can reach their profile, where you'll find not only any reviews they've been given but also what sort of verifications they've received.

Nina36
Level 2
Dubai, United Arab Emirates

Hi Kristy,

If you click their profile, you will see reviews in it.

Cheers,

Nina