Star rating for guests

Darcia0
Level 4
Umeå, Sweden

Star rating for guests

For each guest review, a host is asked to give a star rating for the guest's cleanliness and communication.

However, when looking at a guest's profile, the star rating for these aspects is not visible.

How can I as a host see these ratings prior to accepting a booking?

If it is not visible, than what is the value of completing these questions?

110 Replies 110

this cannot be true... i just had 4 guests check in and sneak in 6 more and trash my house..

i have time stamped before and after pictures.. they lied and wrote a 1 star review

saying that the house was trashed when they arrived even though it has 30 4-5 star reviews... and i sent documented proof.. air b n b let them post the review 

and now have suspended me 

because of a 1 star false review

i didn't receive a dime so far...!!  air b n b asked me to resolve this with the frat boys who snunk in and trashed it

they told me to f... off.

i have been managing this property for 11 years  and air b n b has empowered this underage 1st time frat boy to damage my house, my property and now my bank account..

i despise these corrupt policies that always favor the guest... air b n b doesn't take a deposit therefore attracking the lowest of the low 

I disagree. I’ve had a few times where Airbnb came through for me (the host) instead of the guests.

One incident is still clear in my mind....

I had a horrid guests that came and then said she didn’t like my unit (98% 5 star unit). She had also received a discount as well and tips to do in the area. I should’ve known because from the moment she booked she wasn’t extremely high maintenance and self entitled like no other. Anyway...

She knew I was out of town so she claimed she didn’t stay and left to a hotel. Thus demanded a partial refund or cleaning fee refunded. She also hinted at leaving a bad review. 

I told her I would give her a partial refund from the cleaning fee as long as the unit wasn’t used as she mentioned. 

I didnt return until the day after her initial check out day and the unit was completely used. There was even milk and cereal left behind which clearly showed proof that she had stayed there. 

In the coming weeks (yes weeks) she continued to pester me demanding a refund and threatening me about the review, so I told her I would refund her partially in 16 days. (After the review period) 

Fast forward and I refunded her $15 in good faith, not because she deserved it but because I said I would. (My cleaning fee is $45) 

This girl was crazy and then sends me a money request for more then half of her stay demanding I pay her and threatening me.... again. Except this time she couldn’t try to extort me by dangling a “bad review threat” over my head. 

When airbnb contacted me I simply had them read the messages. It was clear that she was shady and I never mentioned “how much” I’d actually refund her. I told her partial cleaning fee and that’s exactly what I did. 

She’s lucky she she got that, because the unit was completely used and had to be recleaned as normal per use. 

So, as long as you watch what you say, remain professional, and have your facts straight Airbnb will definitely come through for us Hosts. Super host even more I feel. 

Loulou1
Level 4
Los Angeles, CA

In light of the fact that almost no one posts bad reviews--(probably because they are not anonymous)--I think being able to see the guest's rating is vital. In fact, I think as hosts we should be able to leave a star rating without adding anything else to the review. I may not want to embarrass someone by writing "they were absolute pigs", but I would be willing to leave an appropriate number of stars and a "no I wouldn't host them again" to inform other prospective hosts.

Like many of you, when choosing to accept a reservation I use a potential guests past reviews as one of the primary factors (along with the message and information they send me). Since this is one of my primary factors, I do leave negative reviews on a person's profile. I don't flat out write "these people are high maintenance" but I've written things like "This guest caused damage to my unit, but agreed to cover the costs of the damages." or "The guest was very communicative and had many questions and needs during his stay".

Another option is to use Instant Book, and select the option to only accept guests who have been recommended by other hosts.

As a community of hosts, we need to band together to provide accurate reviews so that we're well informed before we accept a reservation. I would hate for the guest who caused damages to my unit to rent from someone else.

Hi!  I'm a host also, and I have a question for you.  You said ' I use a potential guests past reviews as one of the primary factors...'  so how do you see the guest's past reviews?  I can't find reviews or star ratings until after I've hosted the guest but I'd like to use this rating when choosing between 2 potential guests with overlapping travel dates.

Thank You!

It was a fatal mistake for me to accept a guest and her friend who stayed for 4 months. They messed up the kitchen on a daily basis which resulted in the breeding of cockroaches. Sent them notices several times to make sure that the kitchen is always clean after use but fell into the deft ear. Complaint about the mold fixed it immediately and no complaints after. BUT a day before they left, she filed a complaint to Airbnb and requested a REFUND. I sent all the pictures and the chronology of the event but Airbnb was more favorable to them. 

I guess AirBnb should also publish the ratings of the guests for the protection of the HOSTS.

I agree with your approach. I recently had two guests back to back with issues. The first arrived with a completely different profile pic. Some white guy on a table at a bar. I do not discriminate and just went with it. The young man arrived and he was  Persian. I contacted support and they said he was obligated to provide an ID to confirm who he was. This was done on the message and he sent a photo ID. For his review I mentioned his profile photo was of someone else and he changed it to himself while at my home. 

#2 A young girl arrived with two other girls and they would leave the house at midnight to arrive back at 4:00 am, sleep until noon. The review- The young women and 2 friends enjoyed the Colorado night life. “Just read between the lines.”

I changed my rules to no smoking/vaping or  marijuana in home or property. 

Letting us see the ratings might lead to more declines - not in the interest of airbnb.  Business is business, they want the maximum amount of bookings and ditto profit.

@Marit-Anne0   Uber manage having rider and driver stars visible and they are incredibly successful.

Star ratings . Please say what's wrong with a property, tell the truth about an experience. Say what is wrong with a place. only then will the hosts renovate accommodation to a better standard. 

Adrian17
Level 2
Plymouth, United Kingdom

What I find exasperating are the guests who ask questions and you give approval to never to hear from them again. My property is then left reserved until it times out. We are marked on response, so should the guests be. I believe some use a shotgun approach of multiple properties but dont have the curtesy to let you know they have booked elsewhere.

I completely agree!

@Adrian17. You dont have to reserve your place for a looky lou.  I never block the space before they actually book.   If they book after writing, great; if they dont book, the place has remained open for other potential guests.

Adrian17
Level 2
Plymouth, United Kingdom

Thanks Amy, I guess I was a little hissed after I put a lot of time answering various questions about my 'lovely apartment' (their words) and giving advice on Montenegro. I did this on a mobile phone while away camping and with little signal dropping in and out. They did'nt have the curtesy to reply, if only to say no. If I don't reply my ratings are knocked. It seems to be a growing trend. If clients were also rated on response we could see which ones are timewasters.

@Adrian17 , yes, there seems to be this group out there that loves to keep hosts busy, then never reply again. pooof, gone! a bit disheartening, yes... has happened to me as well.

so now, since my listing truly answers just about everything, I extend the curtesy of a short, friendly response, and don't expect anything.

You don't even have to pre-approve, just sending one reply does count as "reply" and your response rate will remain in tact. Airbnb seemeingly pressures you to either pre-approve or decline, but I just

went through it myself, not using either of these buttons - and my response rate remined perfect!

I don't like pre-approving people,who are high maintenance, then rudely never even acknowledge that one went the extra mile. Your calendar is NOT blocked out, that only happens when you truly accept someone, or a guest accepts a pre-approval.

Good luck, don't despair!