Star ratings from guests are subjective?

Star ratings from guests are subjective?

Hi, just started hosting and have hosted 10 parties thus far.  I recently looked at my star ratings, and I received 4 stars for "location".  My place is a great location to a small downtown street of a very small town.  Everyone who visits this town loves to stay close and it is just that.  Although I understand that the location convenience is completely subjective, but then why will AirBnB restrict me from Superhost status based on someone else's subjectivity?  Does not seem fair (not saying it should be) but a way to contest or leave a comment on the stars would be helpful.

is anyone else noticing the lack of customer service from AirBnB? Lack of ability to contact them, ask questions, etc.  It truly is a strictly community based platform, huh?

thanks,

James

11 Replies 11
Louise47
Level 10
Maroochydore, Australia

I have received only one or two 4 star ratings but over all they still give me a 5 star rating so I don't really care about the other ratings just as long as the over all ones are 5 star.  I think the super host badge is rated on the over all ratings. I wouldn't be to worried about it.  You can't please everyone.

1. I agree. Just do your best. Some folk do not give five stars just out of principal
David126
Level 10
Como, CO

Of course they are subjective, even if ABB issued guides, they do not, say your opinion would be different to mine.

An evil but not sure how it could be different.

Do not get too focussed on them, they will be what they will be.

David
Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

@James51 The category I have to worry about is location too.  What I do when I get a reservation request (I don't have Instant Book for this reason) is to tell the guest that I would be delighted to have them stay at my place, but before I confirm, I ask them to take a second (probably first!) look at the map to be sure where I am located serves their plans.  That puts the burden on them to determine my location is a good fit.  Haven't had any problems since.  

My listing photos are so great (thankyou, Airbnb!) that oftentimes people want to book based on the pictures and they don't realize where I'm located. 

Perhaps you could be proactive in that way too!

@James51 Oh, and click on the link I provide with all my answers to see all the ways to get in touch with Airbnb.  The guys and gals answering really have a tough job and I think they do it well despite the many criticisms.  Maybe I'm biased.  🙂

Thanks Clare... I guess I shouldn't judge the availability of AirBnB based on the 2 times i wanted an answer on something.  i will try again!

thank you

@James51 Most of the time we can answer your questions here, but if you need Airbnb support, I suggest using twitter @airbnbhelp. That's where I go when I need help.  They are very good at replying.  🙂

Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Any review is subjective - that's the point. It's what each guest thinks and feels about their stay. Some will love your place others will like it and they use the star system to reflect that. It's not perfect by any means and location is probably one of the ones that people feel is trickiest and less accurate than others. Does it mean the neighbourhood and what are they comparing it against, does it mean distance from where they really want to be, does it mean how it compares with their own neighbourhood. Overall, as long as you have described your location and maybe included a few photos too, then people will have a good idea of what to expect when they arrive in your area.

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@James51

I've noticed that when I proactively praise the neighborhood, its lively cafe scene, nd how happy it's not as hectic as the "center" I seem to get regular 5 stars. Try it out.

But true, comments on how they loved the neighborhood and then a 4 because it wasn't nextdoor to Anne Frank house. Go figure...

I don't see airbnb gettting involved in how well you play with others and if you got some unfair reviews.    At least we get to write a public response to our reviews - it's kind of exhausting the personal interaction aspect for frankly not a lot of money.    Other hosts in worse locations get better feedback and more praise than we do for the same or much less efforts and their flaws are overlooked but get five star ratings  - I think these hosts many of whom are operating illegally are more glamorous than we are as hosts and we have a very sparsely furnished apartment with no clutter but hopefully exactly what is needed and no more - it's been paid for from my brother's salary and my own things so we really can't afford things like armchairs.       I am lucky to get the guests that I do who generally are kind but some are a bit ... peculiar - sometimes I feel like they are testing us or sending us a message.   I have no idea how much longer we can keep going. We put in very stringent checkin times and checkout times and some instant bookings seem to ignore that which means Airbnb will cancel us if we cancel the instant bookings but the neighbors in the building may object and my brother is incredibly exhausted from work and can't handle late night checkins.     We actually want to stop doing it but we need the money. 

Despite damaging "micro" aggressions, I have to keep hosting becuase my mother personally guaranteed a monthly payment of $6000 and growing and  other ongoing expenses that are too much for her - she is spending her social security on these expenses and can't afford a dentist. 

I'm super tired from a medical issue and right now if we got bad reviews, I wouldn't even care. I am so exhausted and my mother has disintegrated in the last few days when I talk to her on the phone for having to step in for me and my brother which she should not do. She is so completely tired that she gave her only key to a guest for an apartment that needs to be fixed up.   Astonishing.    She once signed a lease without reading it so this is just ....  

Sarah4430
Level 2
Onsdorf, Germany

I'm also wondering how people judge my location (beautiful if somewhat remote). Surely they look on the map before booking ??