Still looking for a recommendation after scouring every thread on here about Smart Locks

Sean95
Level 10
Toronto, Canada

Still looking for a recommendation after scouring every thread on here about Smart Locks

I need a system that accomplishes the following:

a) Send me an alert if door is left open (or ajar) more than X amount of time.

b) Automatically lock if and only if the door is closed. 

c) Option to control with a keypad (so not everyone is forced to download an app)

d) Most economic option possible.

The only setup I've come up with is very expensive and involves way more features than I want so I'm hoping someone else can provide a more minimalistic recommendation that satisfies the 4 conditions above. 

In my Amazon cart right now: Ring Alarm 5-piece (only really want the hub and door sensor), Schlage Connect, Alexa (so that I can create a routine telling the door to lock 30 seconds after being closed).

I don't care about AirBnB integration, automatic code generation, or the rest of the bells and whistles out there. I also have zero interest in home automation, as I live in a 500sqft budget apt. I'm looking for a solution that minimizes the amount of home automation purchases since those devices won't be used with anything other than the lock.

Sorting out my door has been an ongoing nightmare for the last several months. First I started with Kwikset, but it locks while guests are holding the door open and then the deadbolt slams into the doorframe when the door is closed. Then I invested $400 into August Wifi Smart Lock + Keypad. The lock itself is everything I've ever dreamt of, but the keypad is utter trash. Every few days, it randomly deactivates itself and needs to go through a factory reset and the result is guests being locked out if I can't be home to deal with it.

28 Replies 28
Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Sean95,

We use the Schlage Encode for my Airbnb apartment in Atlanta, and it meets all of your criteria: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HXFKMYR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1.  We are very pleased with it except the batteries need to be replaced 1-2 times per year.

@Debra300  You're 100% sure that the Encode can detect if the door is open and will only lock if the door is actually closed?

This article claims that the Encode lacks "door open detection", but maybe it's incorrect:

https://www.androidcentral.com/august-wi-fi-smart-lock-vs-schlage-encode-smart-deadbolt

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Sean95,

You're correct, by itself the Schlage Encode doesn't have open door detection capability, but if paired with Amazon Key, you can set rules to notify you if the door is left open for XX minutes.  I chose the Encode over the Connect, because it can functionality independently, and doesn't require a Z-wave compatible security system to function.

@Debra300 I see... I was just reading up on Amazon Key and from what I can tell, you must have set up a camera that faces your door and whose visual feed provides the Schlage system cues for sending you notifications about door open/closed status and, presumably, also for making sure that auto-lock deploys only if the door is actually closed.

Is this correct?

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Sean95,

We have a Ring at the entrance of our apartment, and I am unsure about the specific requirements stated by Amazon Key, because my husband did the set up (he doesn't remember, either).

I looked at your listing, and you may have some logistical and privacy issues with installing a camera since you have a storefront entrance, and it looks like the entryway leads to two separate apartments.

Dimitar27
Level 10
Sofia, Bulgaria

Option (a) is the most problematic, because it requires some kind of sensor and  communication protocol-mobile network or internet.

Sami459
Level 3
Denver, CO

@Sean95 

I have a Yale Assure SL Deadbolt with August Connect. Mine does not have the key option but there are other versions that have it. If you're thinking about Auguest, I definitely recommend going with an established Lock manufacturer with the August Connect module versus buying one of August's Locks. Here is how mine fulfills your criteria.

a) Send me an alert if door is left open (or ajar) more than X amount of time.

I can setup Smart Alerts within the August App to notify me if the door is left ajar any time it occurs or within a time range. There doesn’t seem to be an option to alert me if it’s left ajar for X minutes, however I can always look in the August app manually and see how long the door has been left open.

b) Automatically lock if and only if the door is closed.

I haven’t set this up but according to this article, it can be done with the Doorsense - https://support.august.com/intelligent-auto-lock-with-doorsensetm-S1mg1DI1A_f - However, I'm not clear on whether or not that requires a bluetooth connection and/or if that's only for the August Lock or also an option in the Yale. I can check for you later today when I'm at my AirBnb. Will report back.

c) Option to control with a keypad (so not everyone is forced to download an app)

Absolutely necessary and my lock automatically sends each guest a code which activates/deactivates at check-in / check-out.  I can also manually adjust these times.My cleaner has her own permanent code as well. I have a backup, emergency key on the property as well, if they get locked out, which will open the other door and can also unlock the doorknob on this door. There is absolutely no way a guest can get locked out. Guests can also download the app but that's optional and not necessary.

d) Most economic option possible. - It’s not the cheapest but you can find good deals on eBay, OfferUp or FB Marketplace. I waited until I found a good deal and then pulled the trigger. You just have to check often because they don’t last long.

I've been mostly happy with the lock other than a few minor hiccups. It does require a hub and my only complaint is having to replace the batteries every few months. The lock doesn't work right with rechargeable batteries either, so keep that in mind. My plan was to use rechargeable batteries but that's not an option, unfortunately. The rechargeable ones don't last as long and you don't get the notification when they are running low. So you have to use regular alkaline batteries.

I know you don't care about home automation but there may also be another option to ONLY lock the door if it's closed, by using Homekit if you have an iPad or AppleTV in there. I'd have to do some additional research.

In any case, I will check about number 2 and post back here later this evening.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Sean95 

The lock Yale YDM3109 which I have also have a mechanical key, it is hidden under the bottom silver part. You can see it on this video at 2:08 min

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yrm3n8bQ5I0&feature=youtu.be

They are all fairly intimidating but this one looks quite good!! Thanks  @Branka-and-Silvia0 

Sean95
Level 10
Toronto, Canada

The winner ended up being this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Wyze-Lock-and-Keypad-Bundle/dp/B08FSBXT99/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1S001N1YQB1F4&dchil...

It is much cheaper than all the other options and it provides all the functionality specified in my original post.

The only issue with it so far is:

1. The door open/close awareness tends to require recalibration every now and then. A little annoying but worth it for the cheaper price.

2. The auto-unlock feature seems to work only 60% of the time, which doesn't bother me since that wasn't even one of my requirements.

It is admittedly less sexy than most of the other options mentioned in this thread but I am very happy with its functionality, reliability and price.

@Mary996 

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

Thanks so much @Sean95 

Am going to check this out xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

@Sean95 thanks for posting this info! I’m looking to replace my August Home locks after months of frustration with programming errors their development team has not fixed. Super helpful thank you!!! 

@Sean95 How have they performed after a year? Still going strong? Batteries?

Calvin92
Level 2
Gulfport, MS

We should pay you for all the research! LOL. I am buying the Wyze per your suggestion.  I rent two rooms in my home, so I am buying this just for the entry door first to see how it works!