Still looking for a recommendation after scouring every thread on here about Smart Locks

Sean95
Level 10
Toronto, Canada

Still looking for a recommendation after scouring every thread on here about Smart Locks

I need a system that accomplishes the following:

a) Send me an alert if door is left open (or ajar) more than X amount of time.

b) Automatically lock if and only if the door is closed. 

c) Option to control with a keypad (so not everyone is forced to download an app)

d) Most economic option possible.

The only setup I've come up with is very expensive and involves way more features than I want so I'm hoping someone else can provide a more minimalistic recommendation that satisfies the 4 conditions above. 

In my Amazon cart right now: Ring Alarm 5-piece (only really want the hub and door sensor), Schlage Connect, Alexa (so that I can create a routine telling the door to lock 30 seconds after being closed).

I don't care about AirBnB integration, automatic code generation, or the rest of the bells and whistles out there. I also have zero interest in home automation, as I live in a 500sqft budget apt. I'm looking for a solution that minimizes the amount of home automation purchases since those devices won't be used with anything other than the lock.

Sorting out my door has been an ongoing nightmare for the last several months. First I started with Kwikset, but it locks while guests are holding the door open and then the deadbolt slams into the doorframe when the door is closed. Then I invested $400 into August Wifi Smart Lock + Keypad. The lock itself is everything I've ever dreamt of, but the keypad is utter trash. Every few days, it randomly deactivates itself and needs to go through a factory reset and the result is guests being locked out if I can't be home to deal with it.

28 Replies 28
Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

No suggestions but have been looking into this too. Especially when dosy guests leave the door open!! Do report back with how you decide to go and good luck with it. Would value hearing the otcome  xxxxxxxxxxxxx

John5097
Level 10
Charleston, SC

@Sean95 I was impressed you were able to cobble together a system that would do what you want, using the Ring for the Z wave base station. I've had a Schlage Connect for about 4 years but don't use it for the ABB apartment anymore. It looks like you can create individual key code for each guest, however it doesn't give you the option of setting the time frame access. Another issue to consider is that you will be relying on three different devices to play nice with each other. If the hub gets a firmware update it could cause a bug for example. Wifi is taking over but Z wave will likely always be used for home security sensors because of the extended battery life. You also will be limited with any other integration for key code management but you said that's not important to you. The door sensor for an alarm system is the only device I'm aware of that lets you know if the door is open or closed. You could check out other alarm systems but those would be more expensive. I hope that works for you. I ended up trying and returning a bunch of stuff to find what would work for what I wanted. The Schlage Connect is still going strong but the hub was issue for me. I  also don't plan on smart locks holding up more than a few years so that's a pretty big commitment into Z wave hub system for just a lock. At least you will know if its working or not and I'm glad to see this hub and security option for Z wave lock. So nice work there! Good luck! 

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

I have this one from Yale. https://www.yalehome.co.nz/en/products/products-categories/keyless-entry/electronic-digital-door-loc...  The alarm is set off if the door is not properly closed. It can't be controlled by me remotely but my locksmith said this option can be purchased optionally and I am thinking about it bc it would be useful.  I installed this model 2 or 3 years ago . They now have other, newer models as well

@Branka-and-Silvia0  Does the auto-lock feature take into account whether door is open or closed? For example, if you set it to "auto lock after 30 seconds" but then someone holds the door open for 30 seconds, will the deadbolt extend or will it stay put until the door has been closed?

I don't set anything, when you close the door it will lock after 2 seconds. If you keep the door open then it will not lock until you close it.

Jennifer1897
Level 10
Irvine, CA

@Sean95 

I use the Wyze locks on all my doors. They are very reasonably priced at around $120.  They meet all of your four requirements.

-It will alert you both by alarm and via the app if the door is left ajar for more than X amount of time. 

-It auto locks itself every time the door is shut

-It has a keypad that comes separately and connects to the lock via wifi. The guest or anyone else using the lock never has to download anything. You simply set a code for them on the app and they are set. 

The feature I like most with this lock is that you can set individual codes for multiple people that activate and deactivate down to the minute. For example my check in time is 3pm, so my incoming guests code will not work until then. 

Here is a link 

https://wyze.com/wyze-lock

@Jennifer1897 Is it reliable? I've been using the Wyze Cam V3 for the last 1.5 years and it has been mostly disappointing due to all the false motion detections caused by sunrise/sunset and other weird non-existant lights the camera sometimes picks up (paranormal activity?) even though I'm looking at the same spot and see that nothing is happening.

Just did some research and it seems like my ideal option. Dammit the only issue is that nobody sells it in Canada other than Amazon and then there's a 35% markup vs USA.... time to swim across the border and go to my UPS drop zone

@Sean95  I have had it for a little over a year on multiple doors in my home and I have never had any issues, and I have yet to replace the battery which is nice.

I have not used any other products from them, but overall these seem great.

Hopefully you are able to find them without the huge markup. 

Sean95
Level 10
Toronto, Canada

Just ordered the Wyze instead of the Yale Because I could find the desired features more explicitly stated on their website, will update once installed

Sean95
Level 10
Toronto, Canada

Ok so @Jennifer1897 's experience sold me on WyzeLock. Then I saw these reviews:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VSUdG7zZ1o&ab_channel=SmartHomeSolver

https://www.reddit.com/r/wyzecam/comments/eq2cco/hows_the_lock_working_for_you/

https://www.reddit.com/r/Wyze/comments/fd046b/is_wyze_lock_worth_the_money/

And the experiences of the masses spooked me so I cancelled my order.

I then saw this comparison https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6FmhgNj1sA&t=464s&ab_channel=CamSecore and he sold me @Branka-and-Silvia0 's system, however I really do want a key, so I got a variant of the system from here: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07GQ372JP/ref=twister_dp_update?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

What a ride this has been. I hope this ends up being the solution that can free up my life so I can move onto other things. I really love and trust the August software but the hardware is garbage. The Yale hardware is much more compelling and if behaves like an August lock with the accompanying AI Module, then this will probably hit the spot.

I'll update you all (& @Mary996 ) after a few weeks of use when I see how it performs in the field, as it were.

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

Fantastic... and thank you so much for all your diligent research xx

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Sean95  Good luck with your lock dilemma. I just wanted to say that I appreciate your attitude that you don't want guests to be required to download an app in order to open the door. So many hosts who are into high tech stuff seem to expect that their guests are, too and that this will make things easy for both them and the guests. If I were a guest, I'd be annoyed at having to download an app, and the possibility that my phone would be out of charge, leaving me without access to the listing.