Stir Crazy for my private home!

Tammy91
Level 5
Missouri City, TX

Stir Crazy for my private home!

I have been fortunate with my first few months of Airbnb bookings. I rent 2 rooms out and each one has had bookings, sometimes at the same time. 

I currently have a guest that has booked for 20 days at 2 ten day increments. He is supposed to checkout on Wednesday. 

I am looking forward to checkout because I suddenly find myself craving my own private space at this time. He is not a bad guest.....although I do find that men are a little bit more messy than women (sorry men). He is quiet but I'm tired of all the tip toeing around the house. I have been off from work so I really notice any slight movement. Suddenly......I just want him gone....I want that checkout asap! I'm craving my privacy.

Do any of you get this way with frequent bookings? I can do 2-4 nights but these long term bookings when people extend are starting to get to me. I enjoy the money but I do not have to host. And.....the guest just informed me that he may have to extend a few more weeks. Sigh......I'm thinking about blocking the days so he can't extend. Maybe when I start back to work,  I won't notice as much.

Am I the only host who goes thru this? 

32 Replies 32
Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Tammy91 A year and a half ago I hosted a lady who came to do some research in criminology - she was a great guest. I could even have her as a permanent tenant.

Then a year ago, more or less, I hosted some young guy for two weeks. The bathroom was all wet, that was the worst of the experience. Then I said to myself: never ever any booking longer than a week. 

So you see - you never know. Now I don't host for longer. If someone desperately wants to stay at my place, they will have to make multiple bookings - each for one week. Then at least it will be obvious that the cleaning fee is well deserved.

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"
David126
Level 10
Como, CO

I avoid long term bookngs, so far not an issue, I do not offer a long term discount and that seems to do the trick.

David
Tammy91
Level 5
Missouri City, TX

@Marzena4, if your guest decides to extend, do you ever block the dates so they can't if you do want them to stay? I don't want to be rude to them but I do realize that I am the host and this is my home, so I have control. The other side of me feels for the gust because he hasn't been that bad. I just want some privacy. To be honest, I am just feeling a little creeped out by the guest. Maybe it is because I am at home all the time.....and he never goes out except for work, otherwise he is here all the time.

Tammy91
Level 5
Missouri City, TX

@David126, yes, I think I will take off the long term booking discount and keep the maximum booking to 7 days or 10 days. If they want to extend, at least I then have some control over it. I personally like the 4 night stays....

You don't have to agree to any extents, @Tammy91. True - it's your home after all and you can't be a slave to your guests. Even if they request an extent, you don't have to agree. So blocking the calendar is not necessary. 🙂

@Marzena4, I have IB, tho. I don't want to turn that off. Wouldn't my only option be to block dates? I am learning so much here! Thank you. You described how I'm feeling right now..."slave to the guest"

Tammy91
Level 5
Missouri City, TX

@Marzena4 @David126, y'all gave some good advice. I went back to my listings and took away discounts and decreased length of stay to 7 nights. I think I realize what might be bothering me, other than I just crave running around my house, doing my own thing for a few days. The current guest is going on day 16 and he showers twice a day, walking to bathroom without a shirt and in my view. I have nothing against a clean guest but this costs me more money in utilities. I also had to enter his room to get clean sheets for my other guest room. His room is a mess...you can't even walk around in it, closet s full of his belongings and he leaves the fan on all day. He has gone thru 2 sets of sheets....I refuse to be his housekeeper during his stay. So, I don't feel bad any longer about not extending to him.

Grow a bit thicker skin, @Tammy91. I've just said goodnight to my guest spread on the bed playing a game on his console - something I hate in men... Cmon, who cares... He's kind, anywayanyway Sunday he's gone. Hosting requires distance.

@Marzena4, haha, you're funny. Yes, my skin a little thin. I'm a nurse so it's in my nature to be overly caring. I remind myself that this is a business for me. I try not to get close to guests or make friends of them for that reason. I got a visial of your guest.....I know you will be doing the hapy dance at check out!

I'm a teacher, same sort...

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

I've never understood these people who are personally immaculate (like shower twice a day, even if they haven't done anything to get dirty or sweaty) yet their living space looks like a pigsty.

@Sarah977, yes, me too. I was shocked to see the room. How did I not see him dragging in all of his belongings??? And now I will be washing 2 set of sheets and linen instead of one set. I should have just told him that he was welcome to wash the sheets on his bed but I have extra linen on my listing. Double the work after check out. I think he has become too comfortabe here......I'm a little creeped out by him.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Tammy91  Just a thought- you could always block days on your calendar, like 4 days in a row, or even a week, once a month, or whatever you feel you need, for your whole advance booking window to give yourself some guest-free time where you can enjoy having the place to yourself.

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

^^ Was going to say what @Sarah0 just said. I limit the guests to stay 4-5 days max and take a day off in between guests, max 24 days a month rented. I also block off one summer month, rejuvenates the enthusiasm. Time for ourselves - the most elusive aspect of life.