Stolen Lockbox

Vivian34
Level 2
Toorak, Australia

Stolen Lockbox

We use a lockbox for letting guests in. It has happened twice now, but sometimes guests leave the lockbox open after they take the keys out. Then the lockbox thief comes along and finds an easy-to-take lockbox and then our lockbox is stolen. Obviously the lockbox thief is a problem but combine that with guests leaving it open and then we have a problem. Then I have to buy a new lockbox. The worst case would be if the guest put the keys back in, left it open and then the thief came along. Fortunately, so far, the lock box has been empty.

Besides asking the guest to pay for a new lockbox, what else can I do to prevent this happening?

I need to be able to provide unattended check in.

Ideas?

15 Replies 15
Rebecca181
Level 10
Florence, OR

You can write on the Lock Box itself that guests need to close it with a silver or white indelible marker; or add a water-proofed note of some kind near the Lock Box where the guest will see it. You can also include this  reminder in our House Rules. My latest thing is to provide a one page 'Cheat Sheet' that includes my most important House Rules / Operational Procedures (septic system, hot tub, etc) - And I put the most critical reminders there (because we know that many guests do not read our House Rules on ABB or the ones in our Welcome Binders). I also have a chalkboard in the kitchen where I write down what to do with the keys and garage remote at check-out. Never had a lock-box left open, so that's not on my list yet!

It is a portable lockbox, like a big padlock. We do not have the option to secure it to a wall or anything. Once you get into it, you can detach it. So if a guest checks in an leaves it open (either actually open or unlocked), it can be taken, intact and reused by anyone.

Hi Vivian,

I realize this thread is a year old now.  I had many issues with this lockbox as well.  It kept getting jammed and the buttons would lock if keys were not put back in properly.  I've had it damaged by people trying to get in, etc.  I didn't have it stolen, but i'm sure it was only a matter of time.  I ended up switching to the masterlock Bluetooth version.  I don't use the bluetooth feature on it.  It allows you to enter secondary codes, so I enter 5 different codes and give them to the guests.  I now use 2 of them for really busy days.  I've had a few minor issues, but nothing like before.  It is so much better of a design and is much more tamperproof.  It also can't be stolen if the door is open.  You need the code or app to open the shackle.

Master Lock 5440D

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

I am guessing this is a lockbox mounted on a wall, or door? If so, then it could be mounted in a manner (type of bolts used) that are impossible to unscrew, unless the thief has a grinder in their back pocket (unlikely).  Have a picture of it, or a url of the type?

Presumably the thief is hoping to find keys/tokens/remotes so they can access the building. It just so happens that the lockbox is unlocked (and empty) so they get a bonus free lockbox.

Hello Vivian, you could also consider using locks that open with security code, if that fits your budget and is available in your area. Thats way you dont have to worry about keys. You can change the entry code after every guest leaves.

I agree with @Fred13. May be you haven't securely fixed your lock box.

Unfortunately you can't get into the apartment building at all unless you have a token to swipe with. That is what we put in the lockbox.

I'm having he exact same problem. I have now lost 4 lockboxes. I'm now buying a lockbox which can only be open with blue tooth. Cost $159 from Bunnings. 

I'll let you know if that works

Unfortunately its not the method of opening the lock box that is the problem. It is the method of closing it and locking it. If a person has to close it and lock it then it can be left open. If it can be left open and if leaving it open is also how the latch it removed, then the lockbox can be stolen.

We have ended up disabling the latch removal mechanism and leaving the lockbox permanently attached to a chain. The chain is then secured by another lock that the guest never touches. We have had the lockbox left open a couple of times already but now the lockbox can only be removed by grinding or cutting which then makes the lock box useless to anyone and hence a low value target for theft.

Pete69
Level 10
Los Angeles, CA

Victoria567
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

You are lucky that it’s only the lock box that’s been nicked!

They could enter your home and go on a real spree!

Natalia84
Level 3
Milan, Italy

Happened to us  that guests left it open, left it open with the key inside, but the worse thing that happen to us, is that lock box failed to open, luckily the key wasn't in it at that moment. Now we are stuck with a lock box inside our post box (to hide it). Even if the guarantee is 10 years the company wants to have it back (Sterling) for an examination. To take it off the wall we will need to ruine the post box and the wall. They suggested we cut it in half somehow to take it off. What are they going to examine after that? Not happy neither with the product nor service. Looking for other options for key delivery. 

Hello Natalia, I see this post is from a year ago, so I hope that you have solved the issue.

I had my box stolen from the entrance of the building with the key inside. I am choked and didn’t know that was possible. 

Btw, if you have the same type of locker as Vivian34, you can reset the locker by pressing the letter (C) that is on the bottom of the box.

So, every time you type a wrong code it locks, so press the (C) to re-set and type the code again. 

Good luck!

Pete69
Level 10
Los Angeles, CA

I use 2 metal hooks (screwed into the outside wall) to hold the lock box. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-8-Zinc-Plated-Steel-Screw-Eye-50-Piece-per-Pack-803682/20427386...