Stolen personal items

Stolen personal items

Hi so i'm a fairly new host I've been doing this for about a year and his is my first space. I have one bin with personal items, nothing thats worth much just some clothing items, hair items and maybe shoes. This bin is way up high in the closet and very heavy so I wouldn't expect guest to worry about that but for some reason they touch **bleep** they're not supposed to even when they have a whole place to themselves and should be enjoying their trip.

I mean this item is way up and out of the way with tape on it and everything anyone with common sense would no "hmm maybe we should not touch this item" it's so frustrating and I know some ppl might say, "well if you don't want them touching anything take it with you". well, i'm still living in this space.

So the bin was placed back on top of the closet without the tape on it and  items are missing from the bin. I'm very strict and don't tolerate any stealing of any kind that inducing towels, things cost money.

So please what should  I do. I see a few people saying  to make file a police report along with getting the security deposit for airbnb. I just feel very upset, like just enjoy your trip leave personal stuff alone.   

2 Replies 2
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Chris15376  If you are going to leave personal items in the unit, you should really have a locked closet which is off-limits to guests. 

Even if they don't steal anything, some people are just nosy and will rifle through whatever is there.

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Chris15376   @Sarah977 is correct; guests are nosy and will check out everything that they can lay their hands on.  They will think that it is for them, or things left behind by other people, so they will help themselves.  If you want to leave personal property in the apartment for your use, you have to lock it up in a closet or cabinet.   Does your building allocate a storage space for you to use?  If so, put your stuff there.  Inconvenient maybe, but safer than left in the unit.