Stop asking me to lower my price

Dallas1
Level 10
Durban, South Africa

Stop asking me to lower my price

Every now and then I get these emails from Airbnb telling me to "Turn lookers into bookers" and they provide examples of places nearby that got guests for X amount less per night than I charge. That X amount is usually considerably lower than my very reasonable price, sometimes up to 40% lower. 

Honestly, I don't want to be compared to places that are so cheap, because the reality is that cheap guests come at a price that is not worth my efforts. Whemever I have lowered my price to suit the Airbnb search algorithm I end up getting less than stellar guests and I really don't want them. Almost every guest I have had with any Airbnb experience tells me that our place is the best value they have ever found. Why can't Airbnb see that? 

64 Replies 64
Bryan10
Level 10
Feltham, United Kingdom

I get the same messages, and after trying it once, I decided it's not worth it. The message is worded ".... you could get 10% more bookings" (they can't say "you will get more bookings..." because of course that depends on the guests). More guests at a cheaper rate would mean more work for you, and in my experience, guests who look for the cheapest place are often guests you wouldn't want to welcome. I think it's better to keep to your original price, raise the price by inflation every year, don't compromise on price, keep the quality of the system. Happy hosting! 

I agree. I have no idea where the AirBnB is getting prices from. When I tried  to book room that was presumly cheeper I ended with more expensive price. I think people using some trick posting lower price but when you try to book it real price is deferent. I do not like tricks. I"m from Europe and I do not like cheep tactiks to trick guests. I guess I should be in any bussiness in nowadays. 

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

"Why can't Airbnb see that?" It is not Airbnb, meaning  people sending you those messages, but a computer 'trying to help'. Since it could only read mathematically, it detects your price in comparicon to others and the difference in bookings, and then it makes the suggestion, albeit annoying.

Many hosts do not take such messages seriously since some are outright funny; i.e. someone charging $85 and the suggestion was to lower it by $81 = $4 dollars a night, though Airbnb has a $10 minimum.

Dallas1
Level 10
Durban, South Africa

I suspect that Airbnb are pushing down the places in search that don't use their price suggestions or smart pricing, so the algorithm appears to be influenced by that, for sure. 

Really? 

@Dallas1- this is not my experience. I've repeatedly ignored their pricing suggestions and I'm still popping up top 5 for my area.  Granted, my area is small, lol.  

Robyn126
Level 1
Auckland, New Zealand

Airbnb is not working for you, its working for itself and it wants as much commission as it can get. I never lower my price.  Agree with all the other comments.  Quality people keep looking for quality.  Same with instant book.  Now you are penalised if you dont have instant book.  When im looking for accom on airbnb i have learnt to take off this filter.  Wonderful treasures lie beyond the instant book button 🙂 Work for yourself, not airbnb. 

I agree with you, Robyn.

At the moment, I am fighting with Airbnb... for 17 €. Because of a July bug on my calendar (kept my 2018 prices).

Airbnb does not want to admit. And reduce my fees consequently. Worst, on the platform, I was first treated very badly.  Pretty bad image.

Say hello to Wellington, where I stayed in 1992/93. For 6 months.

Joy332
Level 2
Edinburgh, United Kingdom

Hi Etienne-Marie,

I had my prices for July set at £145 and then I received a request from someone asking to book but the price is £128 per night.  I know it's not a big drop but how could this have happened?  

I don't want to accept the booking because I don't know how this happened AND the person has zero reviews.  But I also don't want to lose my superhost status by declining a booking...

does anyone have any suggesttions?  I've emailed AIrbnb twice and been on hold with no answer for over 30 minutes.  I didn't realise their CS was so bad.

Thanks, Joy

Dallas1
Level 10
Durban, South Africa

I don't think you can lose SH status by declining an inquiry. If I understand it, it's only if you cancel a booking that they strip you of the Noddy Badge. I've declined many booking inquiries and haven't lost my status (not that it means anything - they still put me at the back of the queue because of my price and minimum requirements). 

Joy332
Level 2
Edinburgh, United Kingdom

I FINALLY got in touch with someone in ABNB Customer Services.  She kept saying that my smart pricing was on and it is...but I keep smart pricing on and still change my summer prices automatically.  So somehow they moved my summer pricing back to smart pricing.  Needless to say SMart pricing is now OFF and will remain off.  I also declined the booking because the guest was a first time guest AND hadn't provdied government ID, which is one of my requirements.  Seriously, how did they pass me a booking that didn't meet my requirements?!?!

I emailed the guest and said if they update their details they are welcome to book....I just like the ID thing as it makes me feel a bit more protected.

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

If I have the time, I will be entering a feedback ticket tell ABB to cut it out with the nonsense price suggestions every time they send me one of these meaningless emails.

Perhaps if we blast them with our opinion as they often as they offer us theirs then we could get them to create a better price suggestions tool

Yes, I don't need suggestions from a low-ball averaging computer algorithem. 

My pricing decision mix is only 10% when it comes to what the lowest prices is out there I'm competing againgst.  I'm not in that space and never will be.  There is no value in letting that room out and getting it filled every day, cleaning and still come out short on rent for that room... 

ABB's messages is generated from the perspecrive of wanting to increase bookings for the company, it's not sophisticated, targeted or helpful in anyway.

ABB please get rid of them.  It's like having a scalper telling you to sell your box seats for bench seat prices because that's what people are buying and you PAID for the bench seasts...

Kimberly178
Level 3
Oklahoma, United States

And when you lower your price and get less than stellar guests you also get people who tend to review lower.