Strict Cancellation Policy - two (2) definitions for same policy ?

Strict Cancellation Policy - two (2) definitions for same policy ?

Hi, Anyone esle seeing this. I am getting two (2) entirely different definitions for the same policy.

1. The Airbnb article says : 

Strict - 50% refund up until 1 week prior to check in.

- If the guest cancels less than 7 days in advance, the nights not spent are not refunded.

- If the guest arrives and decides to leave early, the nights not spent are not refunded.

2. But on guests reservations it says:

-  Strict =  100% refund more than 30 days notice. 
-  50% refund if the guest cancels less than 30 days in advance
14 Replies 14
Helga0
Level 10
Quimper, France

This policy changed a few tumes. Your post made me aware that it changed again. 

According to the definition in my listings, host side and guest side, it’s your first version: after the booking, 50 % are non refundable anyway. And if the cancellation arrives less than a week out, the whole rent is due. Cleaning fees are refunded, if the booking is cancelled before arrival. Airbnb fees are refunded under certain circumstances, up to thrice a year. (That’s relatively new too)

You can get the valid definition, when you go into your listing and click on preview. (Or in any listing as a guest). Then scroll to cancellation and click on details. On a phone, you get more details as a guest or in preview mode than in edit mode.

@Helga0   Thanks. But the guest is seeing #2. so, I assume it over-rides #1 my policy on my listing. My confusion is why are Airbnb giving the guest information that contradicts my policy? It has the makings of a needless conflict.

That’s strange, if both sides differ. Are you speaking about the same booking, @Ange2, or is that what you see now for future bookings and what a guest sees, who booked some time ago. I believe the 30 days out full refund is not the actual version. When they brought that up, I too my apartment offline. It’s just not worth the risk, when I have to buy non-refundable tickets to leave. 

I take it, It was no great succes and we are back to at least 50 %. Which is still not good enough. 

The terms at the day of the booking would stay valid even if the terms change for bew bookings. 

If it’s not that, it must be a glitch. 

@Helga0   Yes same bookings. I see it on bookings made very recently with future dates, looks to be retroactive because it didn't appear on their reservation details until today and they booked a week or so ago.

It is on the reservation details for the guest and what the guest receives.  So, which is it I wonder,  what my listing and Airbnb Policy say or what has been inserted into the guests reservation details?   Screenshots below

Screenshot seen on guest reservation details:

Screen Shot 2017-10-02 at 6.05.00 PM.png

BUT, on my listing it says this below.

Screen Shot 2017-10-02 at 6.05.44 PM.png

a-cancel.jpg

Sorry, I see now, that you already said , it’s the same booking. In this case, I would ask customer service for clarification.

Maybe they gamble, that not many cancellations will occur and if they gave one, they can still push the host to give more refund and otherwise they come up with the difference, if necessary or pocket it, if it’s in their favour. Maybe that is easier, to switch a whole market at once. - is the guest from your country?

Jeff158
Level 10
Caernarfon, United Kingdom

Hi @Ange2

Well well well, It looks like airbnb are sneaking in the new policy, the Italians have had to put up with it for about a year.

new-cancellation-policies-and-increased-host-fees

@Jeff158   I don't see an increase in fees –  yet!

Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Jeff158 @Ange2 ...which is why I like booking.com - no sneaking, no guinea-pigging.

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"
Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

This is why I have switched to moderate policy. I don’t believe the policy will be upheld anyway so either policy is a gamble. 

ast It actually IS upheld. At least it was for me.  I had my settings to "moderate".  Got a reservation (btw from a woman who turned out to be completely berserk) who cancelled less than 5 days prior.  Airbnb backed me up & paid out, no problem.

Helga0
Level 10
Quimper, France

@Ange2, is this for the same guest? You can’t compare it with your listing, which shows today ‘s policy interpretation. You have to look up the booking of that guest and click on to get your booking confirmation. That should be the same; even if you may have bookings with 3 different policies now, as the terms changed twice in less than a year. 

@Helga0  

There is no comparing to do, my listing and Airbnb policy states one thing and text on the reservation states something NEW that is not current policy (nor has it ever been previous policy) as per the Airbnb Cancellation Policy page.

Example: A guest cancels. The host thinks, okay, as per the policy I chose as currently defined by Airbnb. The guest thinks no way, not as per the listing, nor by Airbnb definition of policy BUT as per what is written on my reservation.  Confusion reigns.

Zappa0
Level 10
Key West, FL

They are going to lose more hosts if they keep rolling this out without consulting or informing us. What is the host referral rate where you live? It used to be $100, but just went up last month to $120..now I see it is $240 if you get another host to sign up. Are they already starting to lose hosts who are fed up??

Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

@Zappa0 Mine just went up today from $100 to $200 in the San Antonio Texas area. I think you maybe on to something.