Strict cancellation policy changed

Strict cancellation policy changed

just saw that the the strict cancellation policy now states:

"For a full refund of accommodation fees, cancellation must be made within 48 hours of booking and at least 14 full days prior to listing’s local check-in time (or 3:00 PM if not specified) on the day of check-in."

Does that mean that if someone cancels 15 days prior to the booking we get nothing at all?

It used to be 50% percent from the point of booking (100% refund for cancelling within 48 h of booking) till 14 days before the booking.

"For a 50% refund of accommodation fees, cancellation must be made 7 full days prior to listing’s local check in time (or 3:00 PM if not specified) on the day of check in, otherwise no refund. For example, if check-in is on Friday, cancel by Friday of the previous week before check in time."

This used to be 2 weeks.

Is this for real?

14 Replies 14
Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

Linnea0
Level 2
Washington, United States

Why doesn't airbnb just add another reservation policy instead of ruining the one that has been working fine for me for 3 years.  I do not like the new cancellation policy for "strict"

Deb125
Level 10
Lahaina, HI

Everyone should be able to set a cancellation policy, the norm is 60 days prior to arrival, no refunds, unless the host can rebook the spot... but airbnb blocks your calendar... how nice of them.  they keep their fee,  you get zip... 

David1061
Level 2
British Columbia, Canada

14 days might be ok for a bedroom in a big city, but for a summer rental cottage by a lake, it is ABSURD!. No one books a weekly stay in a lake cottage only 14 days ahead. And Air bnb keeps their cut. This is the height of hypocrisy. 

Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

@David1061  I tested this recently. We booked months out and still got 50% for the canceled booking after they booked and canceled more than 48 hours later. So it's only for the first 48 hours after booking they can cancel free. If they book within 14 days of their stay there is no free 48 hour cancellation policy, they are charged 50% for days 8-14 before reservation and 100% for the 7 days up to the check in date. 

David1061
Level 2
British Columbia, Canada

Good to know. Thanks for sharing!

Thank you for sharing this information. I don't know why air bnb wouldn't actually explain this under their page where it does describe the stretch cancellation policy. It leaves it at when they don't get a refund and doesn't explain anything about the details. Thanks, you're a doll.

The new cancellation policy for long term bookings does not come into effect until Aug. 19. When I questioned the help team, I was informed that a guest can book two places at the same time for the same dates. They are allowed to cancel one with a FULL refund as long as it is cancelled 28 days before the check in. So if your space has been booked for a long term booking, months before and the guests double books, they can get a full refund for your space BUT you get screwed....no money and your space has been not offered to other guests until it is cancelled..possibly 28 days...before check in.

Carol578
Level 2
Brooklyn, OH

I had a guest book 10 days, I have Moderate cancellation policy, my guest arrived, stayed 7 of the 10 days, sent me a text that he would be leaving early because his job assignment was done, and wants 50% refunded to him for the nights he is not staying. I do not feel this is fair that I should give him any money for him leaving early. He sent me a screen shot that shows a guest gets 50% of nights not stayed.  Anyone eles have this happen to them ?

David1061
Level 2
British Columbia, Canada

You maybe stuck; depending upon when he notifed you.

"If the guest arrives and decides to leave early, 50% of the accommodation fees for the nights not spent 24 hours after the cancellation occurs are refunded."

This is from the moderate cancellation policy. 

David1061
Level 2
British Columbia, Canada

So you may want to reconsider your cancellation policy. I think the moderate is too easily gamed by the difficult guest.

Why are so many of these guests so ungrateful and rude with their reviews anyways? It's like they enjoy being a **bleep**.

Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

@Carol578  per your policy 1 full day and 2 days at 50% are what you should get:

If the guest arrives and decides to leave early, 50% of the accommodation fees for the nights not spent 24 hours after the cancellation occurs are refunded.

9.2 Guests can cancel a confirmed booking at any time pursuant to the Listing’s cancellation policy, and Airbnb Payments will refund the amount of the Total Fees due to the Guest in accordance with such cancellation policy. Unless extenuating circumstances exist, any portion of the Total Fees due to the Host under the applicable cancellation policy will be remitted to the Host by Airbnb Payments pursuant to the Payments Terms.

Jake4
Level 3
Vail, CO

Im just finding this outs It was done to me just now. How do I change to super Strict 60 days?