Studio or private room

Dick78
Level 2
Maastricht, The Netherlands

Studio or private room

Hi. I rent the top floor of our house. The entire floor is private for the guests (including kitchen, bathroom, toilet) and can be closed with 1 door.
Only the front door on the ground floor, a part of the hall, the 1st staircase  and the landing is for common use.How do I describe the space in my ad? Is this a studio?  An apartment? Or a private room? Or a condo?

Thanks! **bleep**.

8 Replies 8
Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

If it's lockable, @Dick78, I'd say it's a studio., but it is a tricky one. Has someone complained?

It's a nice losing. And while I appreciate you haven't asked for feedback (I can't help myself) I think you've gone a little OTT with the photos (as many show the same thing).

Dick78
Level 2

Thanks for your feedback on the photos!
As for the studio door, it is fully lockable, the entire space is private.
Acctually, it is mentioned in the description of the studio, just like the fact that we also live in the house.
So far I have had no complaints, but what I do notice is that people have not read the description completely, I can tell from their reactions. And that can be a disadvantage.
The disadvantage of mentioning the studio as "Private Room" is that I don't reach the right target group.
It is a pity that there is no intermediate possibility at Airbnb to describe the space.

@Dick78  the problem is that people don't read the description before booking! I've had to put things in CAPITAL LETTERS - I have STEEP STAIRS - because people are careless and just book whatever looks good. I sometimes reiterate in the welcome email (I don't do instant book) that there are STEEP STAIRS (I'm not talking "Dutch" steep, by the way, it's still a staircase!) which may not suit everyone.  Sometimes they change their minds - I'd rather have them not come, than claim that I never told them about the steep stairs and give me a bad rating as a result. Yes, it has happened....

Susie5
Level 10
Boston, MA

@Dick78 by the way, I'd call what you have a "studio" - sounds just like my own listing.  Although it's not quite clear whether there are more than one rooms in your unit - I think of a studio as one room with bed, kitchen, etc.. A condo refers to something which has several owners in a building, which doesn't seem what you have, and is more about ownership than about the layout of the place (a condo could have anywhere from 0 to dozens of bedrooms, technically). I think an American guest, for example, would think of your unit as a "studio apartment", if I've understood correctly. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Dick78  Studio sounds fine but Private apartment with Onsite Host might make things clearer. I would try to mention the shared entryway and stairs as prominently as possible in your description and photo captios and also reiterate the fact that you live downstairs and what is shared in terms of entry in a message to guests as soon as they book or request to book, so they have time to cancel without penalty if they were inattentive readers and are expecting an entirely private scenario. Guests who have good intentions shouldn't be put off by this- it's the ones who think they'll be able to sneak in extra guests, or a dog, or throw a party, who it won't sit well with, and you don't want those type of guests anyway.

Dick78
Level 2

Thanks  you all for your feedback!

Melodie-And-John0
Level 10
Munnsville, NY

@Dick78 , seems descriptions can be a problem!   There is another thread out there trying to parse what is a Suite!  I wrote a response that I thought might also fit here as well- Here goes

A Rhodes Scholar that will remain unnamed once said " It depends upon what the meaning of the word 'is' is", (sorry, I couldnt help myself)! 

Unfortunately, when they start creating new and exciting search filters, they can screw up ones that exist already from rules and parameters that aren't truly compatible with each other.  Then throw in a dash of language variation, a touch of dialect and a buck-load of regional terminology and you've got a real problem tweaking a search engine.   Like trying to navigate the sizes of beds available, its a big enough nightmare just to buy sheets for the 4 sizes of beds we have sometimes cause their are 13 sizes according to where you look!    

For instance, what is the definition of an "entrance" ?  Is that the door you go through to get into the main building or the the one that enters the "suite"?  According to which is the case, is it possible for another guest to go through an "entrance" door and not enter your suite?   In my case it could be either description or neither.   They aren't the same doors but they can still be exclusive to the guest so they are essentially  "Private Entrances" but you can actually connect to any of the 2 guest suites or main house from any of the 5 "outdoor" entrances.  It can make your head hurt thinking about it!

Thanks to @David-andJennifer0 's thread, I spent 2 hours re clarifying the entrances and possible shared spaces in our 2 private suites!   Its a bit early for a JD and water but I feel I earned it.  We will see if my adjustments messed things up or made them better as soon as covid leaves town, will let you know.   Stay well, JR 

Suzanne302
Level 10
Wilmington, NC

@Dick78  I have a "private room" It's clearly listed as "Private room." Yet I still get asked if they get the whole place to themselves! Ahhhh!

So, that being said, from both a guest and host perspective, I'd say you have a "Guest Suite" OR list it as a "Studio" but be VERY CLEAR that there is a shared entrance. Some people won't read it anyway, but, that's what I think you have. 🙂