Sudden Rash of Hagglers in NYC - Goodness make it stop!

Ephraim0
Level 10
New York, NY

Sudden Rash of Hagglers in NYC - Goodness make it stop!

This last week or so almost every inquiry is someone asking for special pricing. Sometimes they are decent and save us both time by asking immediatly .  To which I respond, "Thank you for considering me as your host, but I do not negotiate price.  However Airbnb has thousands of listings that fit every budget. Have a wonderful time in NYC! - Best, Ephraim"    Then I click DECLINE

Other times they ask me a hundred questions then spring me with what they can afford with their budget.

Are others experiencing this endless barage of hagglers?  Or have  I just been lucky?

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/15149137

25 Replies 25

......and I'm 100 percent sure they won't accept. 

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

There is a local Best Western that does offer discounts and some people just seemingly want a discount.

He told me that he find it easier to up his base price and give everybody a discount, as long as the net is what he wants well a win win.

Some time back there was going to be a big event and every bed space in the area would be needed, never happened. Anyway all the organiser wanted to know was what discounts were on offer, never asked about the base price.

David
Lilian20
Level 10
Argelès-sur-Mer, France

I play the negociation game in low season

I tend to find it almost insulting otherwise

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

Ephraim and James, you both have amazing places!  I live in lower Manhattan but might need to come up to Harlem for a weekend - at full price, of course!  I'm with all who don't haggle.  If you can't afford one of my places, find something else.  I also don't answer all the lengthy questions about what to do, where to shop, etc.  I pre-approve them (if they have enough verifications), then let them know there is an extensive guidebook for the listing that will be available to them as soon as they complete their booking.  A week before their trip, even though all are available on the listing, I email them the guidebook, the driving directions, and the house manual -- just to be sure.  

The other day I got an email from someone looking for a place to spend New Year's with their friends.  As with Ephraim's experience, first they asked a ton of questions -- including "Are there activities near by? Grocery stores? Maybe a town center with adorable shops?" -- then followed it with another message asking me to waive the fee for the extra person.  I simply answered, "Thanks for writing! Sounds so fun - I've pre-approved you so you're all set for booking."  Passive-aggressive in a good way 🙂  I thought they'd be annoyed and go away, but 24 hours later they booked.  

Bottom line -- not only no haggling, but no question-answering!  Of course, I do answer questions that can't be answered in the guidebook or house manual, or that must be answered before they book, but, to paraphrase Mrs. Hudson in "Sherlock," -- "Not your travel agent, dear!"

Oh, and for what it's worth, I think you guys should charge more for those spectacular places.

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/5353490

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/5371021

@Ann72 your places are not too shabby either! Awesome, as soon as I hook up with the right cutie, I may plan a little getaway to Main!

@Ephraim0 wrote:

@Ann72 your places are not too shabby either! Awesome, as soon as I hook up with the right cutie, I may plan a little getaway to Main!

@Thanks, @Ephraim0!  Hope that happens soon!  😄

Maria-Lurdes0
Level 10
Union City, NJ

You'd think that now would be the WORST time to haggle for a place in NYC.  The listings are decreasing daily, so they'll be lucky to pay full price.

When asked for  a discount I usually trot out a similar line about we offer great value, blah blah and then I let them know that we offer incredible discounts in the slower months of January and February and if they have flexibility with their dates, that we'd love to welcome them then.   THey never have flexibility in their dates.

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/661367

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

I would not decline, only hurts you. I would just accept, and it is up to them to accept the offer of your normal price. I have read a blog recently which recommends bargaining with Airbnb hosts, they do it ALL THE TIME. And then their offspring wees on the white sofa, so now they choose places with coloured sofas  - as if it made it better. (GoCurryCracker)
Not good. I have lowered my prices on a few occasions but never prompted, always from my own end. But I have been asked.  I am already budget priced for my area.

Thanks for the reply @Sandra126 , I will take yours and other peoples advice and accept, but I must tell I really do not want to welcome hagglers into my home. I also lowered my price on my end, at times shortly after being haggled. I just wont do it for someone else. If you feel my home is too expensive the polite thing to do is move on. I really go above and beyond for my guests, and I do enjoy treating people well, contrary to what my slightly brash sense of humor implies. But I'm not selling shoes or tomatoes out of my truck on the side of the road, and this isn't a garage sale. I feel some people have no class, if its not in your budget you should find something that is, just please don't contact me trying to save $50. Further and its been said a million times, and I've experienced it first hand starting out on airbnb, guests that haggle are almost always a huge pain in the a**.

I think my point is that they will not accept your offer, and so you are not hurt ratings wise by declining. If you have to decline a lot, you will be. I do not want hagglers either. I do like your phrasing though, and you could still include it in your message.

@Sandra126 there was a suggestion earlier in this thread about accepting with a higher priced special offer! I love that idea.