Suddenly no bookings

Suddenly no bookings

I've been hosting for 18 months in St Kilda, Melbourne and have always had 80% occupancy.  I have very positive reviews, use professional photos shots and I'm a super host but suddenly I'm not getting any booking requests and the number of views for my listing have declined dramatically.   I've not changed the way I manage the listing at all.  I keep an eye on competitive listings.   HELP! I've had no booking for 3 weeks now despite reducing my price to similar rates as last year and also modifying my listing slightly.

I've resisted Instant Book and this has not impacted on my bookings but I'm wondering if this is the problem?  I also blocked out a 6 week period whilst I was away in May and was unable to manage the listing (but I also did this last year with no booking isssues when I came back home. )

Anyone having any similar experience or can offer any sugestions....      

11 Replies 11
Beth44
Level 10
Flagstaff, AZ

Yes I have had similar slowed bookings. #1 check to see if you r listed(mine fell off radar at one time tech issue); check to see how many listing for your area ( I had heard that 300 changes listing dynamic; I have noticed that instant booking is first search priority ( I do not do that so feel it altered my position. That's all i can offer as possible impacts. Airbnb has grown immensely so things in process are changing

Loretta2
Level 8
Byron Bay, Australia

I have exactly the same issue with my Bondi listing, and I'm pretty sure it's because I refuse to Instant Book, for all the obvious reasons. Also, there are now so many more listings in Bondi than when I joined up 5 years ago.....I'm guessing St Kilda is the same.

Yes. I am thinking it's not being on  instant book. But I'm reluctant to do this as I like to verify my guests myself l. So far I've not had any issue with any of my guests and I'd like to keep it this way.  I know you can turn down those who instant book but this will go again me 

Beth44
Level 10
Flagstaff, AZ

I forgot to mention NYTimes article past Sunday for insight title something like "airbnb becoming more like hotels"

Example why I don't do instant booking. Had request to book, read her review & alerted me to issues of concern (claimed roaches & host review was dirty in BR & bath) plus profile of guest was a snowman. This is the type of request I want to have greater control over. Her response after denial was  she was hurt & wanted to know why I turned her down. Her. Ad record & prescreening

@Elaine-And-Paul0:

By chance did you change the verifications required for booking? If your verification settings are anything other than the "recommended" setting then people will not be able to view your listing until after they log into their account and also meet the requirements you selected.

Hi guys. No I haven't changed anything but I will double check and look at this. Thanks for the advice. 

Chris158
Level 3
Robina, Australia

Hi Guys,

As a Gold Coast super host I can identify with your listing details in pretty much all respects and had a similar problem when I first listed 12 months ago. July and August we very disappointing. However I've gone from an initial 41% occupancy to  an average 74% - a figure I'm quite happy with. What has intrigued me of late has been the last minute reservations that appear to fill those little 2 & 3 day holes in my calendar.

The only thing that I can put it down to is that I regularly review and update my listing - constantly upgrading each week. Might only be a sentance or two, a new photo, simple things like adding that the pool is Heated! ( How obvious) - and most recently using positive quotes from guest reviews in the introductory preview copy to endorse my other descriptions.

I view My Lisitng as a living thing  constantly in need of attention and constantly reviewed from a guest perspective. Can't guarantee that this will solve your problem but I firmly believe it works for me.

Cheers    Chris M.

Thanks Chris. This is interesting feedback. Maybe because I was away and not refreshing my listing this has had an impact. I've recently made a few tweecks so I'll see what happens now. Cheers. 

how do you use the quotes, i do something all the time on mine 324 b welcomes kids, 2 rooms 3 beds, i have good reviews but been slow end of last month and nothing this month. ive changed my pictures i buy something new to make it look nicer.

what is level one also do you know