Suggestions for painting a room

Jann3
Level 10
Santa Rosa, CA

Suggestions for painting a room

I'm FINALLY painting "Studio Bramasole" (yes, I *named* my location) and I found out something that runs counter to what I've always thought!

When companies like OSH (Orchard Supply) here in the US say there's a big difference in paint? *Believe* them! I hadn't bought paint in years so when I went to get it and they said "$40-50/gallon" I was floored! Well, then I listened. There IS $15-20/gallon paint, but it doesn't cover the wall as well, doesn't include things like mold/mildew preventative (huge for Sonoma County/Wine Country) and holds it's color less evenly (the thinner it is, the more you have to put on in certain areas...and the more the wall is uneven in color).

Now, I'm not saying to go into credit card debt painting a room but realize you actually do get what you pay for sometimes. When OSH says "Buy 'Ben Premium' or 'Ben Regal' 'cos it covers and holds it's color" sometimes they are *not* trying to upsell you for the sake of their profit line. You'll pay less in the short *and* long run!

10 Replies 10

@Jann3 - YES!  I am a giant supporter of Sherwin Williams paints.  They are not cheap, but the quality of the paint is so much better than the cheap stuff you get at the big box home improvement stores.  It's what professionals use for a reason.  When you have to buy 2 gallons of the cheap stuff to cover a room vs. one gallon of the expensive stuff, you really aren't saving money, plus the extra time it takes you to do the job twice.  

Fun Fact:  The Golden Gate Bridge is painted with a proprietary Sherwin Williams paint.  The paint had to be specifically formulated to withstand cracking, peeling or stiffening the structure so that the suspension brige can freely swing during an earthquake, in the wind, and doesn't need to be repeatedly repainted due to the water spray from below. It's really incredible the science that went into that paint.  Also, the color of the bridge is copyrighted too, only that bridge can ever be that color 🙂 

(full disclosure, I did work for Sherwin Williams at one time but do not own stock or have any interest in their success)

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

Not to mention it should be hardwearing and washable so that you do not have to do touch-ups after every other guest. Those suitcases leave marks in my hallway and on the bedroom walls all the time. Looking at them now....

If you weren't in Norway @Marit-Anne0, I would suggest to go to OSH or Sherwin Williams (see, @Alice-and-Jeff0 - I can be fair!) right about now! ðŸ˜‚

@Jann3 - Sherwin Williams is World Wide, that's why their slogan is "Cover the Earth"  ðŸ™‚ 

Braggart! ðŸ˜‰

I've never painted a room before........... Koreans prefer wallpaper 🙂 

Kate157
Level 10
SF, CA

@Jann3 I used a Ralph Lauren paint in my guest bedroom. I ended up using 4 gallons of paint for a double coat, so it wasn't cheap. But as I told my daughter, "that paint will still be good on those walls when you are my age". Happy painting!

@Jann3, I would like to highly recommend to read articles regarding all painting tips from

https://toolblaze.com/

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

Yes! We own a few properties in addition to the Airbnb and do more painting than any human should. These are the only brands I will use:

Benjamin Moore

Sherwin Williams

Farrow and Ball

Fine Paints of Europe.

There is definitely a difference in coverage and quality. You pay more, but you paint less often.

Superpaint is one of SW's most affordable paints. They have some builder grade items that are less expensive, but not by much. When I last bought Superpaint, it was on sale for $25 per gallon. When compared to their nicer paints or Benjamin Moore products, which can cost up to $70/gal., it's a steal. Prices are comparable to Behr but much nicer to work with. Behr Premium Plus has been beneficial to me. I had a bad experience with Behr Marquee.