Superguest Suggestions

Jaime233
Level 2
Washington, DC

Superguest Suggestions

Hello,

I am very excited for the Superguest program to begin sooner rather than later! I love AirBnB and everything about the idea of the experience. I have had many positive experiences, but adding some of the suggestions below would greatly enhance that. In response to AirBnB seeking suggestions for the travel membership program (https://www.airbnb.com/new), I submitted the following:

Discounts on stays - for every x number of stays, I receive a % or $ off of my next stay

The same discount on referrals as new users - currently new users receive $40 off and the person referring a new user recieves $20 off. I would suggest $30 or $40 for both users. 

Waived or discounted cleaning fees, especially considering some hosts have excessive cleaning fees

Flexible/adjustable check-in and check-out times

Pick up from and drop off to the airport

Cleaning during the stay - depending on length of stay, cleaning every few days during the reservation

Expedited tax exemption for business trips

Priority booking - currently when someone receives pre-approval, the room/home is not blocked off for them and still shows as available

Stocked refrigerator with snacks and drinks

Gift baskets with local delicacies

Would love to hear others' thoughts!

@Airbnb2I am ready to sign up for the Superguest program as soon as it is offered! 🙂

Thank You,

Jaime [Surname hidden]

39 Replies 39
Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

And do you suggest Airbnb personel should do pick ups and drop offs? Should Airbnb pay the cleaning fee to the host? Should Airbnb accomodate you somewhere until check in time since Airbnbs are not a hotel with 24h check in desk? Should Airbnb stock your fridge and give you gift baskets? It is much easiers for a host to decline you than to fulfill all your needs. You can't ask for all this extras from a host no matter how Super you are, even 5* hotels don't offer all of these amenities. Do you know what Superhosts get besides the badge? Nothing of this. Do you bring a basket of gifts for your superhost? I believe not, and even if you do, 99% of the guests dont. There requests are so unrealistic. You can ask for all of the discounts you want from Airbnb and I support that but you can't ask all of these things from a host just because you are a superguest. 

Hello Ana! Appreciate this feedback and hearing from your perspective as a host (I perceive) about what is unrealistic. I can imagine some of my suggestions would require additional time and support of the host, so if any of them were not possible, I would understand. However, there are suggestions (example-business trip tax exemption) that AirBnB can move forward with that do not require much from the host. I do think that both Superhosts and Superguests should receive benefits and the programs should be incentivized. Posted many suggestions in case even just one sticks or is feasible. 

Ana from Macedonia, I couldn't have stated it any better!!!!!!!! You are sooooo right!!!!

Perfectly said Ana

Rebecca181
Level 10
Florence, OR

@Ana1136 Not to mention that in the United States, the minute you start offering food items, laundry services, transportation services, etc, you are now seen to be offering 'Special Services' and are obligated to file a Schedule C versus a Schedule E with the IRS - which means you have to pay all kinds of extra taxes. And yes, the IRS DOES at times audit our listings. 

Rebecca181
Level 10
Florence, OR

By the way, what ever happened to all of the new roll-outs that were supposed to happen this summer sometime? The Super Guest program, Social Stays, our own URLs, etc, etc, etc? 2018 is nearly over, and I haven't seen anything much except a disastrous new 10-page 'Review' system; a disastrous new 'Group Payment' plan (now dead and buried); and other meaningless tinkerings with the platform (although I must say, I do like the new Reservation management system). 

Were there updates on these anticipated roll-outs and I just happened to miss them?

Vanessa-and-Kurt0
Level 10
Farmington, CT

This sounds like a good idea but none of those perks would be a reality for most hosts. For example: food and transportation could require extra licensing and insurance. But most of the others require some extra cost and arrangements to hosts. Inconsistency and/or failure to provide these perks can backfire into bad reviews from guests (your SG perk was not as good as the last hosts SG perk). I think there should be perks, but it should come from AirBnB-like SH perks do-not the hosts.

I do not believe there is a tax exemption process with Airbnb, the business pays tax and files the receipt as a business expense on its taxes.

Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

Hi, @Jaime233. I do like that you are putting a wish list out there and hoping at least one thing sticks. It's a great idea, and thanks for clarifying that. When I first read your list, I was struck with the worry that you may be onto something: that Superguest benefits will be at the host's expense and we will indeed have to block pre-approved dates, and provide delicacies, and waive cleaning fees (while doing extra cleaning - every few days, as you say), and give discounts, and allow early morning check-ins and late night check-outs, and rides to and from the airport (my airport is three hours away...) for the new Superguest category. 

If that is what it becomes, wow, do I ever not want it. None of these things is small. 

For us, Superhost is a badge and priority customer service and a travel credit for four consecutive quarters. I was hoping it would be the same for Superguests. 

I think you are one (a Superguest) and thanks for that, too. We do love guests like you, with long strings of great reviews. You should get something for it, for sure, but I would hate to see hosts declining nice people like you simply because they cannot meet a set of demands. I hope your benefits, like ours, come from the company. 

Happy to add that clarification and wish I had in the original post. Learning a lot from the hosts offering constructive feedback and want to think of more ways the company can offer benefits instead of hosts.

Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

@Jaime233  Here's a run down on your points. So how much of a nightly increase are you willing to pay for all these special things just for you as a superguest? You are actually the type of guest I don't want. I call guests like you my "I" guests, it's all about your wants and needs. Forget what it's going to cost the host to cover your wants and needs because it's all about you as in I want, I need, I this, I that etc. 

Waived or discounted cleaning fees, especially considering some hosts have excessive cleaning fees

So who is going to pay the $200 cleaning fee I am charged on average? I charge guests $165, so I am eating part of it already. Are you going to wash and remake 6 beds, a sofa sleeper and 2 pack n plays for me? Wash all the towels for up to 12 people?  Clean 5 ceiling fans and 1 chandelier? Dust, vacuum, sweep, clean a dirty grill, wash tubs, clean showers, wash windows, wash down and sanitized all the baby/children items? The list goes on. A cleaning crew of 2 for 4 hours at $25 each per hour. 

Flexible/adjustable check-in and check-out times

So I now have to block the day before your stay and the day after to accomodate your stay? I do same day bookings this not an option without me losing two potential days worth of bookings. Are you going to pay for my 2 day loss of business?

Pick up from and drop off to the airport

Who's paying for my gas and maintenance on my vehicle? Who's paying me for my time? Try Uber.

Cleaning during the stay - depending on length of stay, cleaning every few days during the reservation

You already want the cleaning fee waived, yet I am suppose to send my crew in at no cost to make you happy during your stay?

Expedited tax exemption for business trips

I think the IRS would have an issue with this one.

Priority booking - currently when someone receives pre-approval, the room/home is not blocked off for them and still shows as available

So I am suppose to hold my room just for you to decide within 24 hours if you want it or not and lose a potential guest ready to make a financial commentment and actually book. 

Stocked refrigerator with snacks and drinks

I already do this and it cost me a lot of money, thus my rates ae higher.

Gift baskets with local delicacies

I do this also, again it costs me a lot of money, thus my rates are higher. 

@Letti0,

I don't think @Jaime233 was being an "I Guest" . You can see from her many positive reviews she is an ideal guest to have. AirBnB put it out there that they are offering this program and she simply submitted some ideas and generously asked for thoughts. It is understandable that because she has already had such great hosts, she has not had to be burdened with contemplating the time, cost and work we as hosts go through (cudos to her prior hosts on that one). If you won't take her I happily would 🙂

Definitely not how I want to come off, so thanks for acknowledging that. I can see how my suggestions may be excessive, high maintenance, or just way off and open to any constructive feedback that points that out.

Susan17
Level 10
Dublin, Ireland

One of the Superhost "rewards"...

• Pricing Options 

As a Superhost, you can offer special discounts to guests to encourage them to stay with you again in the future

You couldn't make this sh*t up...  

Sam397
Level 10
Reno, NV

I think the majority of the suggestions were not very realistic or should have been dIrected towards AirbnB. If a host was to provide all them things they would have to charge a lot more to cover the expenses that comes with that. I do agree with one of them though, I think guest should get discounts for repeated business.  

I think Jamie has done what a lot of guest do and thats confuse  AirBnB's with  hotels. Most host dont have somebody on call 24 hrs a day, which allowing guest to check in or out at any time would require someone to be available 24 hrs a day( if they dont have auto check in)

As far as cleaning every few days, not only would that add so much cost for the host but it wouldnt go over well with the guest either. They wont want someone coming in for a couple hours every few days to clean. They will be forced to leave while they clean or they will have to put up with someone trying to clean around them. Dont know if you have ever tried to watch tv or work or anything else really while someone is cleaning the house, I can tell you that its s very annoying when your trying to watch tv or have a phone conversation while someone is  vacueming the floors.

The stocking of the fridge would not only crazy expensive but  you will be throwing out a lot of unused product. There is to many things people will or will not eat. It would be impossible to stock a fridge with stuff that everyone likes so you will be throwing out more then you use. People have their preferences and even something as basic as bottled water would go untouched if it is not the prrefered brand.

The picking up from the airport  to be honest is ridiculous, guest can call a cab.

@Jaime. tell me this, obviously if a host provided what you suggested they would have to raise their price on their listing to cover for the added expences. Would you as the guest want to  pay $20.00 extra a night to have a fridge stocked with stuff you dont eat or drink, or to have a house cleaned that wasnt even that dirty.

I realize you didnt think that all your suggestions were not realistic, and were just throwing things out there with the hopes of one being good. So some of the host comments were a litttle harsh, but in their defence, hosting isnt as simple as letting people stay at your house for a fee. A host has to put in a lot of time and effort as well as money in order to be succesful, and to be honest AirBnB policies dont make things easier. So some may not be to understanding when its suggested they should provide more for the money.