Superhost Evaluation Timeline - 2019 Q4

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Superhost Evaluation Timeline - 2019 Q4

Superhost 1.pngHello everyone,

Happy New Year to you all. 

As we enter into a new year of hosting, I’m pleased to say we have also reached the next Superhost assessment. We will evaluate your past year’s performance up until January 1st 2020 to determine your Superhost status, which will appear on your profile for the next 3 months. 

To recap, how will this work:

• Every hosts’ performance will be reviewed between January 1st - 14th, 2020. It can take up to 14 days to account for reviews written towards the end of the month as we calculate Superhost status.

• You will receive an email confirming your new Superhost status between January 7th - 14th! (So remember to keep an eye out)

• As a reminder, we calculate Superhost status based on a set of criteria, looking back at your past year of hosting activity. There’s no minimum tenure required for becoming a Superhost. 

*Please note, during this time, you may see your dashboard update to the next Superhost 365-day window, which will be assessed in April 2020. If you see this, please don’t worry. Though we track your activity dynamically, we will only be looking at your performance from January 1, 2019 through January 1, 2020 for the assessment that’s happening now.

A huge thank you for all your hard work throughout the year, we wish you a great year of hosting and do let us know if you have any questions.

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

92 Replies 92

You're welcome, @Wendy684  🙂

Elisabeth93
Level 2
Rennaz, Switzerland

The subject of super host is indeed a constant disillusion. I was a super host for a while but was then downgraded for reasons that have nothing to do with what I offer and have always offered. A lot of visitors still don’t understand that they are in the private home of a host who mostly has a job, social activities, family obligations, and lots more. They still expect hotel type services. Example: my home is scrupulously and systematically cleaned, but I received a bad mark for cleanliness (which is a one-off), most likely because of a forgotten corner, or a day’s delay in the weekly program. I would like them – and AirBnB - to understand that I do not have a cleaning team coming in every day. I take care of all the cleaning for the guests and I don’t charge for it. I offer a spacious accommodation, unrestricted use of the kitchen, full independence, peace and quiet, in other words, a lot of comfort. I often share my meal with my flat mate, I drive them to and from places and I invite them to family gatherings. These are the values that AirBnB promotes and that I want to be evaluated on. But how?

Edeltraud9
Level 2
Saint-Lazare, CA

Let me put my 5 cents into this debate which seems to stress out so many of us.. Personally I think running an Airbnb is like any other business. We can't control customers or guests claims or praises, but have to take the good with the bad and do the best we can.  That's all we can do. That's it.  cheers

Jose69
Level 4
Lima, PE

Hi @Lizzie,
I just wanted to tell you and the community that I am another victim of
the evaluation system you use for the super host status. I have managed to be a super host for at least 2 consecutive years, but this time we did not achieve it, because a guest without any common sense decided to give us 1 star because he felt a lot of humidity in the environment (the apartment is a few blocks from the sea ), the rest of the evaluations were 15 of 5 stars and 2 of 4 stars. This discourages anyone. I hope Airbnb does something.

Regards,
José

Lori278
Level 2
Lahaina, HI

I am going to make sure I read every review of every potential guest from now on and I will decline each and every one that rates all 6 categories 5’s and then gives a 4 rating overall !!!! This is unacceptable and should NOT be allowed !!!  The overall rating should be based upon the 6 category rating ONLY.

airbnb has NO idea what they are doing when it comes to “rating” the final overall rating by allowing the guest to choose anything lower than a 5 if they have chosen  all categories 5 stars !!! 

I am speaking with an attorney as I was taken off superhost for this very reason - it doesn’t make any sense.   Every review that I was given 5 stars in all 6 categories should never be a 4 overall rating -   Ever !!!  This is craziness and I have been a superhost for 3 years -  with all other factors being almost perfect -  I resent this and it is hurting my listing -   

I am forwarding this letter to the “contact us” platform also. 

@Lizzie 

I am going to make sure I read every review of every potential guest from now on and I will decline each and every one that rates all 6 categories 5’s and then gives a 4 rating overall !!!! This is unacceptable and should NOT be allowed !!!  The overall rating should be based upon the 6 category rating ONLY.

airbnb has NO idea what they are doing when it come to “rating” the final overall rating by allowing the guest to choose anything lower than a 5 if they fave all categories 5 stars !!! 

I am speaking with an attorney as I was taken off superhost for this very reason - it doesn’t make any sense.   Every review that I was given 5 stars in all 6 categories should never be a 4 overall rating -   Ever !!!  This is craziness and I have been a superhost for 3 years -  with all other factors being almost perfect -  I resent this and it is hurting my listing -   

I am forwarding this letter to the “contact us” platform also. 

@Lori278 you can't see the reviews guests have made on other hosts to that level of breakdown. The categories and ratings are aggregated so you can only see what a guest wrote in their public written feedback. 

You can block all yours from coming back. I'm not sure it helps. Better to explain the review programme to them. 

And it's a waste of time writing to 'contact us' they don't understand and will do nothing but tell you to place feedback. And @Lizzie  hasn't answered a single tag on this thread.

Personally I've given up. I no longer care. I wrongly lost my super host due to dodgy calculations so my view is if bending over backwards to help guests and doing everything right still loses super host then what's to point. I just won't any more. Guests will like or they won't but I'll be happier.

Oh but I'm the only listing with a carbon monoxide detector. So I keep first place lol

Piotr48
Level 10
Wrocław, Poland

Attorney? Exaggerating much?

I have had a few guests book and it turns out the booking is for a family member (daughter and friend).  Anyone else find the same?  Most of all I meet excellent people so that's good.  The income is super important to my son and I esp as we're 2 hrs in traffic from the CBD.  Jobs aint' flowing in Oz ... so Air bnb tends to fill in a lot of financial gaps.  Hope you are all well.  Regards, Chez & son

I am curious to the answer here also. Sometimes the people that show up do not look anything like their picture. Maybe we should check IDs??

Trevor243
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

It's your property, if you want to check IDs, do it, regardless of what AirBnB terms are .....

@Trevor243 @Charise0 I believe that you have to include that you will be checking ID's in your house rules for AirBNB to back you up. Some guests have objected and, of course, get a refund and are rehoused if it isn't stated in your listing.

Third party reservations are against the rules. You do NOT have to post you will be checking ID in your listing. It is your right as a host to do so, and a smart thing to do for your own safety. 

I also require my guests to have a legitimate photo/selfie on their profile before I accept. I've had people with pictures of their pets and I told them I would not allow them unless they changed it. They can get huffy if they like but it is MY home they are coming to and I expect to know who is coming. If they instant book and don't have the photo I contact ABB and tell them I am not comfortable because they refuse to provide their photo. I've only had that problem a couple times.

"Can I book on behalf of a friend or family member?

Transparency and trust are vital to the Airbnb experience. People rely on information in Airbnb profiles, reviews, and other verifications when deciding whether to host or stay with someone.

We require Airbnb reservations booked for personal travel to be booked by the person who's going to stay at the listing.

Instead of making a reservation for someone else, consider referring them to Airbnb. You can refer them to Airbnb directly from your dashboard by clicking the Invite Friends button. When a referred friend or family member successfully completes a qualifying reservation, you’ll earn travel credit.

For business trips, Airbnb allows designated bookers at companies enrolled in Airbnb for Work to book trips on behalf of others. If you book travel for your company, find out more about booking for your team."

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/427/can-i-book-on-behalf-of-a-friend-or-family-member 

---> That's how I look at most guests, like cousins. And you know, some of those cousins are kooks.

I would request that your management team instruct/guide your engineers regarding the realities of the hospitality industry.

I have been a Superhost since joining your website. Superhosts increase your reputation and help with the experience for your guests. It is a hard-won status.

This quarter I lost my Superhost status as a result of using January 1 as an assessment period which does not reflect market realities. While I started my hosting later in the season last year, the market reality during the Xmas/Holiday period, is that many people stay longer than four days each. Having the 3 month assessment start on Jan 1 splits this peak period in two reducing the likelihood of 10 stays in the period. While reviews remain 5 star for stays, because of the length of duration of stays and that the season is summarily split by your engineers, I have not attained the 10 guest minimum and lost Superhost status as a result.

If your assessment period was adjusted for market realities, and the quarter for assessment started, say December 1, we Superhosts who work hard for your reputation would not be de-motivated to continue our high standards. 

I request AirBnB adjust the period of assessments to take into account the reality of the hospitality market and begin the quarterly assessments on December 1.

Sylvia567
Level 2
Corindi Beach, Australia

I will spend time travelling during the next assessment period. Is it possible to place a “hold” on being part of the current assessment. I feel that without this I would be penalised ??

thoughts