Superhost Evaluation Timeline - 2019 Q4

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Superhost Evaluation Timeline - 2019 Q4

Superhost 1.pngHello everyone,

Happy New Year to you all. 

As we enter into a new year of hosting, I’m pleased to say we have also reached the next Superhost assessment. We will evaluate your past year’s performance up until January 1st 2020 to determine your Superhost status, which will appear on your profile for the next 3 months. 

To recap, how will this work:

• Every hosts’ performance will be reviewed between January 1st - 14th, 2020. It can take up to 14 days to account for reviews written towards the end of the month as we calculate Superhost status.

• You will receive an email confirming your new Superhost status between January 7th - 14th! (So remember to keep an eye out)

• As a reminder, we calculate Superhost status based on a set of criteria, looking back at your past year of hosting activity. There’s no minimum tenure required for becoming a Superhost. 

*Please note, during this time, you may see your dashboard update to the next Superhost 365-day window, which will be assessed in April 2020. If you see this, please don’t worry. Though we track your activity dynamically, we will only be looking at your performance from January 1, 2019 through January 1, 2020 for the assessment that’s happening now.

A huge thank you for all your hard work throughout the year, we wish you a great year of hosting and do let us know if you have any questions.

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

92 Replies 92
Robin129
Level 10
Belle, WV

@Lizzie  this is another opportunity to express frustration with the rating systems on hosts. I lost superhost because one guest gave me a *2* for overall stay because the shared bathroom was "cluttered". I could have regained it if my last guest had not given me a *2* AVERAGE because she didn't ask about an extra blanket and said my bed linens were too thin for the cold night. (My home thermostat is set at 70* F and extra blankets were in the closet, a fleece throw on a chair by the bed, mentioned in a guestbook in the room as well as me saying, "If you need something just ask.")

So, if the ratings stars were actually averaged mathematically I would make superhost.  She rated me 4 and 5 in everything then *2* for overall. They are not averaged mathematically and her subjective *2* rating for her overall stay has me at a 4.6 rating. 

It is getting harder, and harder to be a home-share host with Airbnb. I'm not a motel manager, I share a room in my home, where I live and work every day, with my dogs, and cats. But, perhaps that is their long-term goal. Get rid of true home-shares and have nothing but pseudo-motels across the world. 

---> That's how I look at most guests, like cousins. And you know, some of those cousins are kooks.
Patrick568
Level 10
California, United States

@Robin129 I've seen so many of the same complaints. Its sad this is such an issue. One low review shouldn't ruin a status many people work so hard to attain. Home-Share shouldn't be given a bit more flexibility as well. I don't see this changing anytime soon though.

On thing that complicates it for me is I don't have my space open all the time. I open dates around my husband's work schedule, and some obligations I have with my church and father. Hosts with 200+ reviews per year can take an occasional hit like that much easier.

---> That's how I look at most guests, like cousins. And you know, some of those cousins are kooks.

Yes I agree

Yes this is so true. I have similar issues. People have rated everything a 5 except one thing rated a 3 or 4 and then rated overall a 3 or 4. It doesn't add up. I understood air bnb were meant to have checks in place to ask if they were sure? But clearly this does not work. 

I host a shared space. Guests have falsely complained I was late - simply because they failed to say despite my asking when they wanted to check in but expected me to be sat there waiting the entire 2-9pm time like a hotel reception. Instead I told them when I would be home. They have written lovely written reviews but rated it a 3 for cleanliness right after my cleaner went through without saying what their concern was about. Or written lovely written reviews and rated it all a 4 because they honestly consider that to be good! 

I host a budget room in my house that I share with 3 cats. I live here and share all facilities so it is not a hotel. It is a home. Sometimes I've gone all out to get it ready and clean and homely for a guests and to help them out only to get a weak review after which I don't feel like making the effort because it just is not worth it.

Fact is hosts are not rewarded for being good hosts. Dishonest, entitled and retaliatory guests can ruin things both for hosts and future guests. 

Totally empathize with the dishonesty, entitlement, retaliatory factor with some of these guests!  I had nothing but 25 straight 5 star reviews, until my last guest. They tried to sneak in an extra guest without paying (mind you I live in my space) and tried to not pay for the extra nights, even after I had given them several free ones! Then on top of that, when they figured out that they couldn’t get out of paying since they broke the rules, they left a 3 star review on everything and lied just enough in the reviews to make my place seem undesirable. It’s really an unfair system - I did try to get it removed because some of the things said were blantantly untrue but Airbnb has no responsibility to resolve truths. Sorry for the rant, was my first guest like this and it’s been over a year of me hosting!

You can give another response after each person has given their review. I had a guest complain about the internet and stated it went out, but never mentioned it during our follow up and never let our caretaker know. It didn't do out, they just saw the cable company visiting to fix our phone line. 

It makes me upset also with us when they rate the location low. Do people not research where they go on vacation? And don't get me started on value, especially when 5-6 people can stay for two nights under $60.

@Jennifer409  I'm sure some people research the area they're going to, but a whole lot don't seem to. Like they'll book a place in the tropics and then complain that there are insects and it's hot and humid, or they'll book an apartment in the center of a large city and complain that there's traffic noise. Or a rustic rural cabin and have a freak out when the host mentions that they can't leave any unsecured garbage around because of the bears. There's bears? 

I think they just look at the pretty pictures in the travel magazines and never consider reality.

True talk. 

Oh location... that's a classic. I've had it so many times. I really think that should be removed. There is a map and that should be sufficient.  It's not my fault that people don't read. I even tell them where I am located. 

It really should be removed. That's my thought

Alvenna0
Level 2
Chicago, IL

That is discouraging to hear. Just a quick question. What about guest that never submit a review? Once you become a Superhost do you have to maintain a certain number of high reviews?  No matter how efficient you are giving attention to detail and how much hospitality you extend during their stay we have no control over the guests being responsible enough to give a review let alone an accurate one.

@Alvenna0  It used to be a requirement for Superhost that 50% of your guests left review, but that requirement was eliminated awhile ago. (Good thing, as we have no control over whether a guest chooses to leave a review)

So, no, it doesn't matter to your stats whether a guest leaves a review or not. You could have 10 guests, only half of whom left a review, and the half who did left good ratings and reviews. It is only the reviews submitted which count- your stats don't go down because someone didn't leave a review.

@Alvenna0 This is a great questions and I have been a host for over 5 years now.  Very recently I had a guest that stayed for a month.  When I mentioned the review she flatly told me, 'I never give reviews'.  I have over 330 reviews and I would like to know, if a guest doesn't leave a review, how that effects our status?  Does a guest not leaving a review lower our place in searches or jeopardize our superhost status in anyway?      

@Rosemary-and-Lisa0  It used to be that superhost required that 50% of your guests left a review, but they did away with that absurd requirement that we had zero control over a couple of assessments periods ago.

As to whether it affects your ranking, I doubt it, but who knows, Airbnb is tight-lipped about exactly what factors into ranking. But I don't think you need to lose any sleep over it, with 330 reviews.