Superhost Mentors?

Larry339
Level 10
Brant, Canada

Superhost Mentors?

I started hosting last year with no experience and many questions that I had to figure out. I used the community center, online searches or contact with community experts or direct calls with Airbnb. That worked out, but all communications were about specific issues or problems and generally after the fact.

However, what I would have liked was a dedicated 'Superhost Mentor' that I could have chatted, texted or emailed about many questions about running the business before I ran into a problem. I envision the mentors working with a host for 3-6 months to get them up and running and on the fast track. The mentors need direct compensation, or the relationship would not be valued, nor would you get good Superhosts to volunteer.

A mentor would have increased bookings and revenue early on, so hosts and Airbnb both win.

I wonder what hosts think about this idea?

7 Replies 7
Christine1081
Level 4
Humboldt, TN

I've been a mentor to many and have done a lot of community talks to help folks in property management. On several I even wrote up the description, photographed and help set up letting them know Airbnb would reward me for doing so once it booked. That bit me in the butt a few times with the host taking control and me not getting paid for my time. I'm glad to help anyone but greed-uck

Christine Warrington

@Christine1081

Hello Christine, Sorry to hear you did not receive the Host Referral fee.  Would you mind elaborating a bit more specifically about what you observed happened when "the host taking control..." that impacted your compensation, please?  

Larry339
Level 10
Brant, Canada

@Christine1081 So sorry to hear that Christine. Based on your experience, it seems that there would need to be some written clarity in compensation for mentors enforced by Airbnb.

Yes I would be happy to. I have the worst internet ever. Rural area and couldn't get it set up with the link the new potential host was sent from me to get referral fee. I called airbnb as a superhost and discussed the problems and told them I was going to set it up on her computer without the link. She is 74 and was a new host that I helped secure a 10 month contract with on her first booking. 1000's of dollars because I couldn't take it and we needed it up immediately. We fumbled on so many fronts but everything was documented through airbnb. I began looking for my referral fee and it wasn't there. They said, no she did that herself you didn't assist. I made them go back through the notes. They said, it has been escalated and we make the final decision. Their decision was not to pay. It was ridiculous. I have helped this superhost now open 5 airbnb. Gorgeous historical properties that are doing well in a depressed rural market. I do it for her as a friend. airbnb could care less. 

Christine Warrington
Christine1081
Level 4
Humboldt, TN

Yes I got in a battle with airbnb over one that I did. Worst internet in the world here so it caused some complications. I kept airbnb in the loop the whole time on it then they still didn't pay for my work. Oh well you win some lose some. BTW I love airbnb. 

Christine Warrington
Susan17
Level 10
Dublin, Ireland

Most markets are grossly over-saturated these days, with bookings hard to come by for small hosts @Larry339 - probably not much chance of too many hosts signing up to train their own competition, even if they did get paid for it. 

There was some sort of Superhost Mentorship programme introduced around the end of 2015, I think. Didn't last long, though. 

Larry339
Level 10
Brant, Canada

Thanks for the comment and the history of the Superhost Mentorship programme.