Superhost ranking is broken (AGAIN) - Amount of Reviews

Ryan66
Level 10
Cape Town, South Africa

Superhost ranking is broken (AGAIN) - Amount of Reviews

Airbnb, you guys have had some serious lack of judgments when it comes to your review system and most particularly your superhost ranking factors, but this one takes the cake.

So I see that one of the factors of Superhost, is AMOUNT of reviews done. Which says a 50% is minimum before you get booted off Superhost. Any logical person assumes this is the amount of reviews, you as the host leaves about your guests.

I think to myself, ok thats fair, I can (and have) definitely reviewed my guests at a much higher rate than 50%, as I am a hands on host who strives for optimal quality and service delivery.

Yet somehow every week, I see my percentage slowly falling, even though I make a huge notable effort to review all my guests, come rain or shine.

But no matter how much I review, this number keeps falling closer and closer to that dreaded 50%.

So i ask your support staff to show me proof of how many reviews I have not reviewed, because I know for a fact that I am around 95% (as I have missed a few here and there over the years) but certainly NOT the wildly incorrect 70% your are saying I have.

Your support replies and tells me one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard from you people.

~ ~ The amount of reviews that governs MY superhost status is not the amount of guests I have reviewed, but rather the AMOUNT OF GUESTS WHO REVIEW ME ~ ~

WOW. You can't be serious? I had to read it 3 times just to makes sure Im not reading it wrong or dreaming, becasue this cant actually be real.

Why on earth would the work ethic and laziness of guests, who are either taking time to review me or not, have any factor in my superhost status?

How does that poertray or have any relation to my service delivery and work ethic?

Superhost is a reflection of how hard I, as a HOST work, not how much a guests cares, or makes the time to write a review or not.

Please fix or remove this absurd notion.

It's totally irrelevant to my work ethic as a host. In fact it's a 100% TOTAL reflection of the guests lack of work ethic, and should be reflected on THEIR profile. NOT MINE.

It's one of the most ludacris decision you guys have ever made and no one has ever stood up in a meeting and gone :

"hey guys, I think we have this backwards, shouldn't it be how many reviews the host leaves, seeing that it is their profile and not the guest's?"

Nope. Somehow this has seemed normal to everyone working at Airbnb for I don't know how long.

Where is the quality control and just some common sense really?

9 Replies 9

@Ryan66

I think, with respect, we are wasting our time writing posts about the review system.

No one is listening. No one gives a monkeys. You are talking to a brick wall.

I recently got a 3* review, my fist ever in 8 years..from guests who complained about facilities that I didnt even have or indicated that I had. 

I didnt expect AirBnb to do anything..but I wrote to support just to see what they would say...

This was the reply

" I am sorry for the 3 star review by your guest. I can only imagine how frustrating this must be for you having been a Superhost for the long time. As i can see you will be celebrating your 8th Anniversary with us soon. I would like to thank you for your continued support and for your amazing hospitality. Your business means a lot to us. If only i can edit the 3 star review to make it up for you , i will. However, it's system generated and we have no longer control over it "

official :  " it's system generated and we have no longer control over it "

There you have it...the computer algorithms and bots have officially taken over

Ryan66
Level 10
Cape Town, South Africa

Hi Mike, yes I know its insanely furstrating trying to communicate with Airbnb.

They never want to listen to logic, even though i show them factual proof of what they are doing is incorrect.

I have a whole post alone about how flawed the review algorithm system is as well.

Worst part is, Its not even that complicated either. Much like this issue its just lack of common sense.

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/Airbnb-are-stealing-you-HARD-EARN-5-STARS-HERE-IS-PROOF/...

Yet Airbnb didnt bother even typing a sinle word in  response to it either.

The review system has left this host broken and in tears almost every day now.  I have a tremedous turnover of guests daily.  That means I hover around till noon to make sure guests leave so I can turn on the turbo vacuum to suck up all the mess left behind by people who are so blind to what clean is before that they only see the mess they leave behind and blame the host for damages and dirty floors.  Im sick of sitting hours on the phone with airbnb comnplaining about the delinquent resolution reports that are piling up now from wallpaper removed from walls, broken sinks, damaged blinds, holes in the walls and for what....bad reviews and having to wait a whole year to qualify again for superhost.  Im receiving less than five star on location...please.  We are waterfront, downtown, prime property in town and guests can rate this as a 4 star location???  4 star for value when we offer a 200 year old two bedroom housecottage with new furnishings and newly renovated and it is the cheapest accommodations in town???  My friends are trying to tell me to sell the house and get out of this.  Im a broken host...after the guests break everything else...now they are breaking me with less than perfect reviews.  Im tired of trying to achieve better when there is nowhere left to climb.  Im at the top of the cleaning ladder and the only place left is to jump off.  Not even the perfect score from our local board of health inspection or the fire marshals visit can save me now.

Elizabeth770
Level 2
Rathgar, Ireland

You are 1000% correct totally unfair.

Ryan66
Level 10
Cape Town, South Africa

Please send them a message to try get them to see this flaw.

They actually just sent out an email to hosts, where at the bottom is a link to report issues with superhost.

Since I posted this 2 weeks ago, I have hosted about 5 more guests, none of which left a reviews. So I have now dropped yet another 5% close to 50% review amount and am now at 67%, yet I can’t do anything about it.

Within 2 months, my Superhost will be gone because Airbnbs logic is that if guests had a good time they WILL review you. This is absurd and totally illogical. 

Ryan66
Level 10
Cape Town, South Africa

You still have your superhost badge.  I had mine removed because one guests gave me such a bad review.  A twenty five year old newly wed who tried to tell this bnb host of 27 plus years how to run my business and then accusing me of not being able to take constructive critism well.  She gave me one star for communication because I contacted her via airbnb messenger to let her know that the house was left open and unsecure for the evening while she and her five other friends were away...and how dare I place the key BACK in the lock box where it belongs and LOCK THEM ALL OUT.  She did not pass this vital information to her travel mates, nor did she inform me of the names and/or phone numbers for these other guests, nor did she keep her cell phone with her for the entire time she was in town....and I get blamed for her lack of communication and short falls.  This was her first experience with airbnb and this newbie wanted me to learn a lesson from her?  ...Airbnb tells me later on that after reviewing this guests that she is allowed to review as she sees fit!  Shame on Airbnb for allowing a first time traveller who is clearly to immature to know what respect means to push this host off the cliff 'CAUSE IT WASNT HER WAY'.

Rebecca160
Level 10
Albuquerque, NM

@Ryan66Oh, just wait until July 1. It gets worse for Superhosts: Coming in July 2018: updated rating requirement

• Current requirement: Receive a 5-star review at least 80% of the time
  • Updated requirement: Maintain a 4.8 overall rating

Many Superhost will lose their Superhost badge when this rolls out.

Someone on another thread calculated how many 5 star reviews it would take to recover from a single  1, 2, 3 or 4  star review. It is devastating.

Add in the minimum 50% of reviews that we must get from guests (which we have no control over), and a lot more of us will be hurting.

Ryan66
Level 10
Cape Town, South Africa

I thought they removed the 5 star requirement thing, which was yet another illogical flaw I found right from the beginning) Hope its not coming back.

Looks like you can get a job at Airbnb super host ranking division, make the most ridiculous and incorrect decisions and be praised by the company for them.

Where is the quality control AIRBNB. You are clearly employing unqualified people.