Support Hosts better with angry guests

Theresa525
Level 3
New York, NY

Support Hosts better with angry guests

If Airbnb cancels a reservation, why do u let the guest give you a  rating??? How are they supporting the host that way??? The guest should NOT BE ALLOWED TO REVIEW THE HOST IF THEY VIOLATED THE RULES AND AIRBNB TOLD THEM TO LEAVE!!! Do u think they are going to give a good review???

Airbnb needs to do a better job supporting hosts.

9 Replies 9
Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Theresa525 So sorry this happened to you.

The good news is, the review the guest left is completely irrelevant and calls you a name. Both violate the review policy and so you can have it removed. I suggest you open a chat, so that you can link to the policy, and highlight relevant sections. Most CS reps incredibly aren’t familiar with Airbnb policy and you may encounter resistance. Be persistent.

https://www.airbnb.ca/help/article/2673/airbnbs-review-policy

Colleen253 in Alberta, Canada:

Thanks for your link = Airbnb's Review Policy

https://www.airbnb.ca/help/article/2673/airbnbs-review-policy

I found > To report a review for violating Airbnb’s review policycontact us: 

https://www.airbnb.ca/help/contact-us/channel

Connect with our dedicated Superhost support team

We're here for you, Ying. Thanks for being a Superhost! (2021-10-29)

Message us

https://www.airbnb.ca/help/contact-us/message

Response time: Within 24 hours

Call us

https://www.airbnb.ca/help/contact-us/call

Local number=+1-437-886-4409

Toll-free number=+1-866-393-3393

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Theresa525   I hope you're successful getting that review removed- it definitely violates review policy.

Re that response you left for Fallon- that is not what review responses are for- they are not a venue to review the guest and rake them over the coals.  Responses appear on your review page, not the guest's. They are read by and for the benefit of future guests, who aren't interested in the behavior of your past guests. They are used to correct misleading statements in the guest's review, or to indicate that a legitimate issue has been corrected. So a response to that review only needed to say, "This is a revenge review from a guest who violated house rules, threw a party and trashed my home."

If you feel a review requires a response, keep it brief, emotionless, and only address what was said in the review that would mislead future guests. 

A long ranting review response does the host more harm than good.

@Sarah977   I'm especially baffled, because the review that triggered that horrible response was a positive one. 

The more recent review is definitely against the guidelines and should be removed, but I'm not entirely sure it's factually wrong.

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Theresa525 you seem to have had two parties out of 3 reviews. I suggest you start to vet the guests slightly more rigorously and also avoid short stays from local people.

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Theresa525 Also your house rule 

'All guests will need pre-approval for an event. Without pre-approval, NO FUNCTIONS ( PARTIES ETC.) ARE ACCEPTED on the premises. Any other amenities will need to be payed on the resolution department.'

Breaks Airbnb's rules as parties are not allowed at all whereas you appear happy to pre- approve such an event.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Theresa525  I see your profile says you are an interior designer and it shows- you've done beautiful job.  

But what I see are far too many purely decorative, breakable items. Pottery and glass vases- that tall amber-colored glass vase on a tiny table right next to the door is a really bad idea. Just damage waiting to happen. 

Keep an Airbnb simple- guests don't want to have to tiptoe around lest they accidentally break something, and they want to put their own stuff on the coffee table, there's no reason to have 3 decorative items there.

If you want to decorate, try to stick to wooden and metal objects that can't be easily damaged. But there's really not much need to have them at all. The furniture, the art, the light fixtures, the color scheme, that's really the only decor you need.

Kris3394
Level 2
Lake Munmorah, Australia

I totally agree! Last week air bnb allowed a guest to cancel & gave full refund of night not stayed - with out even discussing the matter with me. - I have had guests come & stay 5x or more . Returning guests always come back & stay . Yet some people you can never please . 

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

@Theresa525 Suggestion: Your price structure may be an invitation to disastrous combination of guests. Right now persons 1-6 can stay for the same price ($382) and what will happen is a couple will be interested in your place and immediately realize that by inviting 4 more of their friends (at random) they will each pay only $63 per night - imaging members of the $63 a night crowd maneuvering through all those beautiful things in your place.

Also, the added 4 guests usually are a little different than the first 2 original guests since they are not who discovered nor selected your place in the first place. 

Perhaps $325 for first 2 and $50 extra for anyone beyond that will make more sense, to make a 'herd' of 6 people more 'worth i