Supporting each other in the Community Center

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Supporting each other in the Community Center

Hello everyone,

We know that information about the current coronavirus situation is being shared widely, but with all the noise it is easy to feel quite confused and lonely. So, in any way we can, we want to make sure that you all feel supported at this difficult time.

To begin with, I want to ensure you are aware of the go-to Airbnb resource for information regarding the coronavirus and hosting: Airbnb.com/COVID19

We’re keeping it updated with Airbnb policy news, advice, and tips, so we hope you find it useful. A lot of the tips have come straight from threads shared here in the Community Center.

Head to Airbnb.com/COVID19 to find out more.

Exploring the Community Center, you’ll also see many useful topics and members sharing their own experiences and advice. Here in the Community Center, we rely on the support of our fellow members on a daily basis.

During times of uncertainty, it is important that communities really come into their own and be  there for each other—and we’ve certainly never been short of camaraderie here in the CC. Currently, many people are working from home or are unable to leave their homes and it can be a lonely place to be. The Community Center is a good place to find support.

We’re planning some online meetups through this period and some activities we can all participate in “around the house,” so do keep an eye out for more information on this shortly.

In the meantime, sometimes the little things can go a long way, so please share any of your tips and supportive words for each other below. 

Stay strong. 

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

109 Replies 109
Katrina79
Level 10
Saskatchewan, Canada

@LizzieThank you for the kind words. As most hosts, I have experienced a massive cancellation in the past couple of days. I feel very fortunate to have lucked out and received a week long booking (thanks to my daughter), a two week booking (complete fluke because my calendar cleared), and a month long booking for April (thanks to word of mouth through a friend). This all happened in one day...it’s a lot to process. I still have a full month of April and the last week of March to fill. At this point I’ve bottomed my price to offset costs. I’m going to advertise as a furnished suite locally. We will all get through this, stay positive, strong and healthy Airbnb community! 

Liliana-/-Luis0
Level 2
Las Rozas, Spain

I think that Airbnb had to take a different decision with a more balanced impact within host and guests. They will break-out the host system.

Melodie-And-John0
Level 10
Munnsville, NY

@Lizzie Thanks for checking in with us and hopefully everyone can understand your not the Borg or the voice of the master, no floggings earned nor deserved!!!  Lets all try extra hard to try to reserve whack-a-mole responses to this undoubtedly tragic situation to attack the virus's spread and effect and not each other.

There are however lots of frustrations over the obvious lack of any real support offered for those who are on the front line of customer satisfaction and success for the mother-ship of all Airbnb hosts.  I think it would serve them well and preserve their future after the pandemic if they found a way to share a small piece of their good fortunes of the recent past years in part with hosts that my not be able to withstand the cancellations and 100% refunds without it.  Everyone try to stay well!  Safe travels and hosting, John

Richard529
Level 8
Honolulu, HI

I really resent being told I am part of a community when within the community, I am told what to do, when to do it and have absolutely no say.   THIS IS ALL A LIE and you Airbnb and Lizzie with your double talking are thieves!    Support that!

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Attacking a business is one thing, @Richard529, but doing the same to an individual, Lizzie in this case, is plain wrong. Get some perspective. 

Lizzie is the face of the business!  She represents the business.  Lets be clear.    

@Richard529  No, Lizzie is a forum moderator. She doesn't make policy for Airbnb, her job is to make sure the forum runs smoothly, that's all. However, she and the other moderators do pass a great deal of our concerns, and even private issues to do with a host's own account or bookings on to Airbnb itself. She and the others have been helpful to many users. Don't blame her for what is outside her control, it's misplaced anger.

Pilar1
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Please don’t shoot the messenger @Richard529 , getting personal is not the way to deal with your frustration @Lizzie is just doing her job. How would you feel if someone blamed you personally for publishing a company policy that you may or not agree with? I’m as frustrated with the way AirBnB is dealing with this as most here, I just lost the only source of income I had for the foreseeable future and I’m really scared but I do think that a bit of kindness will go a long way to help us all get through this difficult times.

Pilar1, lets be clear.  THIS IS PERSONAL!  This is MY life that Airbnb has decided to pull the rug out from under, like everyone else.  Airbnb did this.  Richard didnt.  And just this last Friday I was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer.  So not only will I have to undergo treatment soon, I am looking at the possibility of being homeless too.

So you tell me Pilar1, when was the last time kindness paid your rents or bills?  Kindness pays for NOTHING!  

Airbnb created the changes to throw us under the bus.  Airbnb has no intention of helping us at this point.  There is no plan.  There wasnt a plan.  Except that Airbnb never liked that there is a cancellation policy.  This is probably their dubious way of cementing the death of the strict cancellation policy.   (remember it used to be 30 days, then they changed it to 21 days then they changed it to 14 days then they changed it to 7 days and now, they are trying to get you to except lesser...).

So, to end, yes, Im sure Lizzie is a nice person.  But again, not here.  This isnt the place to blow smoke up peoples *bleep* and singing kumbaya while playing ring around the rosie.  That does not pay the bills, does not shelter us, does not feed us.   

@Richard529  really sorry for you, all my prayers for you. what you write is just the reality

Much thanks Adriano for the gift of your prayers:)  

Sharon480
Level 5
New Jersey, United States

I have guests scheduled to come end of April and May told me they are not coming, yet they are waiting on Airbnb to extend the full refund policy to include their dates instead of clearing up my calendar right now!

Sharon480
Level 5
New Jersey, United States

All the rent interests Airbnb earned by no releasing the rent money to us until after check in, and all the guest serivce fees you collect, and Airbnb knows they temporarily loss the guest fees by giving full refund, but these guests will come back to book with Airbnb again, book not with the same house doesn’t matter, the money will be earned back later—in other words, Airbnb is keeping their pocket full this whole time, and throw all hosts under the bus like you can make it through with zero help!

Zackly....Airbnb is making money off of out assets without compensating us.  That should be illegal!

@Sharon480i have the same problem than you  and i am sure airbnb go extend the full refund policy and host gonna lose 100% of the money