Supporting each other in the Community Center

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Supporting each other in the Community Center

Hello everyone,

We know that information about the current coronavirus situation is being shared widely, but with all the noise it is easy to feel quite confused and lonely. So, in any way we can, we want to make sure that you all feel supported at this difficult time.

To begin with, I want to ensure you are aware of the go-to Airbnb resource for information regarding the coronavirus and hosting: Airbnb.com/COVID19

We’re keeping it updated with Airbnb policy news, advice, and tips, so we hope you find it useful. A lot of the tips have come straight from threads shared here in the Community Center.

Head to Airbnb.com/COVID19 to find out more.

Exploring the Community Center, you’ll also see many useful topics and members sharing their own experiences and advice. Here in the Community Center, we rely on the support of our fellow members on a daily basis.

During times of uncertainty, it is important that communities really come into their own and be  there for each other—and we’ve certainly never been short of camaraderie here in the CC. Currently, many people are working from home or are unable to leave their homes and it can be a lonely place to be. The Community Center is a good place to find support.

We’re planning some online meetups through this period and some activities we can all participate in “around the house,” so do keep an eye out for more information on this shortly.

In the meantime, sometimes the little things can go a long way, so please share any of your tips and supportive words for each other below. 

Stay strong. 

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

109 Replies 109

Yes @Kenneth12  but the rest will end up on the respirator if they will be lucky enough to get one and they will either die or live with damaged lungs for the rest of their lives. I don't want to gamble for 50€/night. I am not so desperate for money.

And btw, Italy has 27.980 known cases at the moment or 463 cases per million. It is not 1:10.000 as you said but 1:2160 and rising.

I said either/or.     I am quite surprised that there are still hosts accepting bookings in Milan,  but it looks like Bulgaria and others have closed tourism.

HR it not IT but we are looking at non-containment scenarios where 50-70% of the population will be infected in 6-18 months.   I don't know (and don't need to know) your age,   and if you are in a risk group you need to isolate and take other measures;  but at this point infection rates are low where you are and health care,  available.

The vast majority of individuals who are infected by the virus experience minor symptoms and some do not even notice.   So talking about winding up on a ventilator with scared lungs is a bit much,  if you're not at high-risk.

Realistically,  you are much more likely to be infected later,  regardless of whether you host.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I am beyond shocked that hosts in the US are still accepting bookings given the huge increases in cases in your country and all health advice being to minimise travel for all but essential journeys and key workers @Kenneth12 

@Kenneth12  You are completely missing the point. According to the CDC, this disease spreads way faster than the flu. The problem isn't that "we're all going to die." The problem is so many people will be infected and not know it, and will then pass it on to someone who IS at risk of dying. Unless you've completely ignored the reports, that is exactly what's going on now.

So you may say, "it's milder than the flu." But tell that to my co-worker whose son has cystic fibrosis and would be at a huge risk of dying if he were to get infected.

@Suzanne302 :

Given that I'm on my third run-through of the ICL/Fergusson report that the US and UK are using / fixating upon right now,  one of tens of reports I've reviewed in the past 2 months,  you're a bit out of line in trying to mansplain' this to me.

There is a point at which civil authorities need to close businesses such as hotels and Airbnbs,  or more importantly,  impose hygienic controls.    Short of that point,  the individual risk to any business absent a high-risk individual,   is negligible if recommended precautions are applied.  While the sum cost of economic losses,   can be worse than doing nothing.

B&S's post was not about implementing social distancing-- on their own without instruction from appropriate civil authorities-- it appeared to be about not taking guests because the risk to them was perceived as far,  far higher than it is.

Your point about a high-risk individual does not apply.  High risk individuals should take other precautions,  that do not apply to others,  especially the young.

@Kenneth12  Hahahaha! You are so funny!!!! Thanks for the laugh! I - literally - laughed out loud reading your comments. Thanks!

Completely agree with you @Branka-and-Silvia0 

Henry and I decided early this year that we'd take a break from hosting when covid-19 was spreading only in China and the rest of the world outside of Asia didn't really even care.

Best decision we made~

Since then.....S.Korea has also been hit pretty hard. By the time  people realize COVID-19 has spread into their community, it's already too late. So while some measures may seem a bit extreme I think it's better to be safe than sorry. 

People should not be travelling PERIOD.

@Jessica-and-Henry0 I've missed you in the CC! Good to see you're still out there!

@Suzanne302 

I'm also glad that so many familiar names and faces are still here and active 🙂 

When Henry and I decided we were not going to host for at least the 1st half of 2020, I also decided to cut down screen time - of which, time spent on the CC was significant. LOL~

@Jessica-and-Henry0 , my screen time was very low until recently. But these are changing times! Back to screens. Good to see you back here as well, so many new faces I don't know. 

Lynell0
Level 3
Murtoa, Australia

Well said @Branka-and-Silvia0  

@Lizzie  whilst we are all the same side in the Community Centre,  some people don't seem to appreciate that we hosts are not Airbnb's customers.

The guests are the customers. We are just indie businesses who can advertise for peanuts on Airbnb.

The better Airbnb look after it's customer base the better market we hosts will have after this coronovirus crisis has abated.

That is my (probably mostly unpopular) take on it.

Chastity3
Level 8
Orlando, FL

@Branka-and-Silvia0 , you have the right to host or not to host. For most, this was not a gambling situation for just "a few bucks." The point is, we as host weren't given an option to refund our guest at 100% or not. We have chosen our own policies, and in my case with my condo, it was set at "Strict."  It should have been our decision as small business owners not Airbnb's to have our policies enforced as each cancellation was effecting how the bills were getting paid. Luckily, I have a reserve but if this 100% refund COVID-19 policy would have continued for several more months, then I would be up a creek without a paddle as my reserve would be depleted.

Also as a host who rents a room out of my own home, I was ok with the cancellations as I can finally have the house all to myself for awhile, but it still doesn't negate that it should have been my right to have my own policy enforced or not.  

Nonetheless, I'm advising everyone to continue to be safe and do what's best for you and your family.

Rebecca181
Level 10
Florence, OR

Um, forgive me in advance, perhaps this is a silly question but... How can guests "feel supported" when they are incurring all of the risk and now *all* of the loss, taking 100% of the financial hit from the corona-virus related cancellations? Why isn't Airbnb acknowledging the devastating financial impact to hosts and putting forth some kind of short and long-term plan to reassure hosts there is a plan to stop this current 'bleed-out'?

This really has to be addressed. 

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Lizzie I think I have made peace with the fact that I was robbed blind by Airbnb. What I would really really like to know, NEED to know if they are going to continue refunding beyond April 14. Then I can plan. Nothing all of us say here can change what they decide, I get that. But at least if I know what Airbnb is planning, I can plan. 

I will explain why this is so important to me. I already have my summer calendar half full. I have strict policy. If no more money is taken away, even if I do not get a single new reservation, I can survive.

If they will continue with refunds and I know it now, I can regroup now- rent long term, get out of leases, etc. I will be more likely to come back as a host when this is over vs defaulting on properties and being evicted out of rentals. Allowing me to plan is in Airbnb's own interest. Please pass this on.

On another note, I do not think guests would have bulked if they got 50% back. I think if we kept something- even 20%- just to keep the lights on, we would not have been as stressed