Suspended account

Suspended account

Hi everyone. I have been a host with Airbnb since may of this year. I was doing so well I actually had just picked up a 3rd property. Yesterday I had just received a booking for one of my properties and I went to check the calendar and realized my account had been suspended so I contacted Airbnb and they guy on the phone said don’t worry everything will be fine and someone will call you back. Soon as I got off the phone with h him all my future booking were cancelled and refunded by Airbnb. I never received an email or nothing so I’m pretty confused and hurt as a business owner this is my income. Can someone please help it point me in the right direction. I was told I would hear something but I haven’t heard anything.. I’m so upset my ratings are a 4.6 help me please

10 Replies 10
Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@MiCasaRentals0 

I’m sorry to hear about yet another incident of abrupt and unexplained cancellation.

Unfortunately this is not unusual and it seems to be becoming more common.

Airbnb can and does deny service arbitrarily based on false claims by guests. By reading your reviews I can guess which guest was responsible.

The best thing you can do is list on other platforms immediately. You can also spread the word about your unfair treatment on Facebook and Twitter.

@Brian2036  Thank you for replying back. Is there another way l can reach him for Airbnb ? I have had no luck 

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@MiCasaRentals0   You can try contacting Airbnb via their twitter and FB accounts, some people have said they have better luck...but I think it will still go back to the Kafkaesque 'Trust and Safety" department that does not take any incoming messages...they contact you, you can't contact them directly....and it is unlikely that they will tell you what you allegedly did, so if you can't recall a recent bad guest or guest incident, you may never find out.

This is what I am currently experiencing - they suspended my account because I mentioned I had Covid and needed to cancel 1 reservation on the account so I could use my Airbnb To quarantine. The safety team only seems to allow the person who takes your case to rectify it. This is a pretty ridiculous policy. Have you or does anyone know how to get around this? I need to get my account back up and running as they cancelled all my bookings for the next month without even understanding my situation.

@Mark116  Do you think I will retrieve my account ? I’m not sure how this process works like I’m just confused really. How long does the process normally take. I can recall the guest I had the problem with but I didn’t think it would lead this. I hate this 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@MiCasaRentals0  Hosts have reported anything from a few days to 2 or 3 weeks (sometimes more) before their listings were reinstated. 

Just be persistant and patient (but try to stay polite), letting them know that you are still waiting for a response and that it has destroyed your business. There's really not much more you can do about it, aside from listing on other platforms, so you could use it as a time to do any needed repairs, upgrades or deep cleaning of your rentals, and try not to get too stressed out.

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@MiCasaRentals0 @Sarah977 @Mark116 

I really wish we had a “How to Deal With CS” guide for hosts.

I haven’t done it so I can’t base my recommendations on anything more than what I have read here together with years of dealing with all manner of minor officials around the world.

FIRST: Be polite. Obsequious even, if it doesn’t sound too phony or make you gag.

”Oh, thank you so much for answering my call!” (Do not mention that you were on hold for an hour.)

” I hope you can help me! I just don’t know what to do.”

Remember that they have a script they must follow. Be patient. Act grateful even when you know your problems were caused by someone else’s incompetence.

SECOND: Be prepared. Outline your complaint and your preferred outcome BEFORE you call or chat online.

Have a fall-back position.

”OK, thanks for explaining that. I understand that Airbnb would like to refund the guest 100% because they heard an odd noise outside and felt unsafe, but they did stay for three more days so wouldn’t a 10% refund be more appropriate?”

THIRD: Keep it very, very simple.

They have heard so many sob stories they can no longer concentrate.

If they want to know that the broken recliner belonged to your dear departed mother in law’s second cousin they will ask.

All they need to know is someone jumped on the footrest until the steel bars bent and broke. It can’t be fixed.

A new one costs $900 but you think that $200 would be fair, considering depreciation.

Be aware that they get paid on a piecework basis. If they can settle your case in 5 minutes they win.

If it looks like it will take hours it may go directly into the circular file.

FOUR: Have your evidence handy.

Pictures. Messages through the Airbnb platform. Doorbell camera footage.

FIVE: Be aware of Airbnb rules and policy, and be prepared to cite appropriate sections. (Humbly.)

SIX: Be aware that many CS agents are poorly trained, inexperienced, mistreated and are doing a really unpleasant job because they have no other options.

DO NOT remind them of this. 

They don’t work for Airbnb and they probably don’t like the corporation any more than you do. You need to try to form an alliance with CS rather than treating them as the enemy.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Brian2036  I certainly wouldn't point out to a CS rep that they are poorly trained and don't know WTF they're talking about, but I have said to them that I know they have a difficult job, and one I sure wouldn't want.

I have gotten some really nice and helpful responses after saying that. I'm sure it's something they almost never hear- all they get all day are complaints and frustration and anger.

And I always thank them for their time, even if they haven't helped me yet. If it seems like something they are ill-equipped to handle, I'll say something like,

"Hi XX, thank you for your message. I really appreciate you taking the time  to try to sort this out, but I seem to be having trouble getting the issue across clearly to you. Perhaps you could pass this on to the Tech team (or a supervisor, or whatever dept. it would concern), as they would likely have more experience dealing with this problem I'm having. Thank you so much and hope you have a good rest of your day."

Tanya586
Level 2
Plantation, FL

I have the same exact thing happen to me and I’m a super host. I account got suspended with no explanation no communication no phone call nothing. I had no complaints either. I’m totally confused by everything. I call several times and I haven’t gotten a call back. 

Tanya
Emilie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Tanya586

Sorry to hear about this! I've checked on my end and the team has confirmed that someone was going to follow-up with you as soon as possible. I hope everything is resolved shortly, but please let us know how you get on. 🙂

Emilie 

-----

Merci de jeter un oeil aux Principes du Community Center/ Please follow the Community Guidelines