Suspending the SuperHost Assesment due to Bushfres and Corona Virus

David887
Level 3
Woolooware, Australia

Suspending the SuperHost Assesment due to Bushfres and Corona Virus

I want to get other Superhosts thoughts to AirBnb having no regard to the impact the devastating bushfires in Australia, and now the Corona Virus is  having on guest bookings, and how many Superhosts will not be able to attain the minimum guest stays (this quarter), as a result.

As many know, the bushfires in Australia were huge and impacted so many towns and states. Combined, the area of land burnt out was greater than all of  Italy. Land, forests, bush (and animals) etc were all burnt. Towns and villages were not accessible and and as a result AirBnb properties could not be booked. And for those that could be booked, no one was traveling anyway, as they didn't know if their holiday destination was the next to go up in flames.

Just as the Bushfires stopped, Corona appeared. Now holiday makers are cancelling trips and are not planning on taking any trips, due to the fear of a pandemic or lockdown. Inquiries have dropped off by over 80% and bookings are being cancelled.

What this means is many SuperHosts will not achieve the minimum ten guest stay they need for this quarter or next quarters assessment.

I propose that AirBnb change the criteria to allow existing SuperHost to maintain their status (for the time being while Corona is a problem), when the only criteria they will fail on is the number of guests stays. If they have failed in responding or cancelling or quality reviews are an issue, then so be it, but if it just number of stays, then I think AirBnb need to show some leniency.

I would welcome any thoughts on my suggestion of AirBnb suspending, and see if we can get AirBnb to act now before the next assessments are due in a few weeks time.

19 Replies 19
Rowena29
Level 10
Australia

It's a good point @David887 

I'd not thought of it myself - I'm too busy worrying about whether I'll meet my next mortage repayment due to the dire shortage of bookings for all the reasons you mention above.   With bushfres,  then floods and now corona, my bookings have been decimated from about October 2019. Sure there' have been patches of bookings, but WELL under what is typical - especially for peak season.  Superhost is the last on MY mind, but i'm sure for other hosts its a real concern

@Stephanie  I'm tagging you in the hope that this will be something you can pass along the chain... as this is a world wide phenomenon, just about every host is potentially affected...

Heather1043
Level 1
North Vancouver, CA

The way things are going in my part of the world, North Vancouver, if Airbnb does not consider the virus into things, there may not be any superhosts! I am considering going for a long term booking to cover my costs.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

This is a really good point that I hadn't considered. While many hosts may have no problem in that they will meet the minimum stay requirements for the next couple of assessment periods, depending on how long this crisis continues, there may be a point at which the majority of hosts no longer qualify. @Airbnb, please listen to this issue.

Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

@Helen427 

I think @David887  you’ve raised an important topic.

As noted by @Sarah977 , @Rowena29  & @Heather1043 , some places may manage to get their numbers, but for the likes of me, with a very short tourist season, I will probably lose what has been a hard earned and maintained badge over four years as I enter my fifth year.

I do know many scorn the badge, but I’m proud of mine and have no control over bookings at this time.

Also, for some countries which have now placed full travel bans, or who are in lock downs, or like New Zealand, have a mandatory 14 day self isolation for internationals entering the country, (other than islanders) trips being completed will not be realised as they are cancelled many times over.

I must admit my stats have jumped for the number of views of my listing in the last week, but sadly, it’s not translating to enquiries or bookings. The travellers are scared and rightly so......

So @Stephanie and @Lizzie  and @Quincy  - Maybe this really is an important thing to raise @Airbnb , to encourage hosts to stay on board the platform. Not to mention assisting the hosts with that extenuating circumstance, as well as the guest.  🙂

Not something I was initially worrying about, but I've realized the badge means a lot with respect to search rankings in a big city with lots of hosts. It would really suck to lose it just because people are canceling left & right.

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

hello @Cathie19 @Cathie19 @Elizabeth516 @Sarah977 @Heather1043 

Did you recieve an email update re Coronavirus/ Covid19 today?
It's got an update in relation to SuperHost status, alas no mention of the fires...

@Stephanie @Lizzie 

@Quincywould you be able to please raise this with Greg Greely who is President of ABB?
Thanks in advance

Yes I did thanks @Helen427 . Brian Chesky also didn’t mention anything in his tweets, about Super hosts, only extenuating circumstances for across March and April.

https://twitter.com/bchesky/status/1238923553082204160?s=21

I suggest we all contact Airbnb with our concersn for superhost status to continue if and when bookings resume.

I can’t get them on the phone at all. I am furious right now. Guests can cancel and get 100% refund and have travel insurance? I had one cancel last weekend and she swears they are giving her money and taking it back from me. She cxd the day of her check in. I even asked her days before. She cxd b/c the comedy club she was going to supposedly wasn’t having a show! Then I now have a booking this coming weekend and the guest says he will “see his things go” I can’t wait to open my days and have him cancel the day of! 

Theresa418
Level 2
Central, LA

What is the Facebook group?

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@David887 @Rowena29 @Heather1043 @Theresa418 @Cathie19 @Helen427 

Thank you, all, for raising this very valid concerns. I'm pleased to say we have been discussing the criteria and are looking to share our amendments and news with you as soon as possible. 

Thanks,

Stephanie

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

Thanks for the heads up @Stephanie. We will wait for a positive and considered action that doesn’t affect any current super hosts during this global crisis. It will affect for easily twelve months . 

Thank you @Stephanie . It is fair to say we are not asking for much as SuperHosts, merely that the minimum stays criteria of 10 stays be reduced to Zero for all existing SuperHosts for the next 6 months (at least) .

If AirBnb doesn't do this now, they will hardly have any SuperHosts left as bookings / stays are down; which I am sure AirBnb are seeing in their own financial reports.

After cancellations and no interest, I only have two bookings left between now and Christmas, and that wont be changing for the better anytime soon.

Any help to bring this to the attention of the decisions makers would be appreciated @Stephanie 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

Thanks, @Stephanie . I feel it's the least they could do for all the Superhosts they are always saying they value so much.