How do you deal with uncertainty of a guest booking request?

Answered!
Colleen40
Level 1
Nashville, TN

How do you deal with uncertainty of a guest booking request?

In the past couple of days we have had several booking requests one after the other. All of them have significantly less personal info than past requests.

They are all new to airbnb and don't have any reviews. And each one mentioned a different concert that they are coming into town for. We are not sure why, but these requests are feeling very off.

Is there a way for guests to scam hosts?  

1 Best Answer
Shanda1
Level 2
Springfield, MO

In my experience, nearly every time I have accepted a guest that I felt "something was off", my instincts were right. I have found if it starts out not right, it only goes downhill from there!

Don't hesitate to ask more questions. If they are legit, they should answer them. If not, they may be a problem. The caveat is that a new guest to Airbnb may not understand the culture. If they are used to booking other vacation sites or hotels, they don't understand why we want to know about them. Let them know you like to get to know people better before you share your home with them.

Above all, go with your instincts.

View Best Answer in original post

24 Replies 24
JoseManuel18
Level 1
Washington, DC

Hello we also got 2 requests so far from 2 different guests from Waynesville MO, this is very strange.

Albert239
Level 2
Biot, France

Another suspicious sign: the profile has one name, but the message the guest sent is signed with another name. No reviews. 

Needless to say, I declined.

Raluca-1
Level 2
Râșnov, RO

Hi all,

I have recently received 2 very weird booking requests.

Both persons were booking for 5 / 7 nights, new Airbnb accounts (February 2020) and both persons are requesting to be called as they have "very important questions" regarding the Studio that I host. 

They have both put the phone number in the message but it is shown in a strange combo of letters and characters.

Of course I didn't call, I just answer the email saying that I am always available and willing to clarify whatever inquiry per Email.

I don't want to feel guilty about being suspicious and maybe is just a coincidence but is seems sort of strange. Anyway the first person didn't book at the end and didn't reply may message.

Do you guys have had similar situations? Can it be some sort of scam?

Thanks,

Ralu

Note: the profile has only a first name and I can't view her profile.

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

@Raluca-1 

- ALL profiles have only first names. You don't see the last name till a booking is confirmed.

- Airbnb hide phone numbers to deter off-platform deals.

- Communication via messaging page provides a record of what you & he guest said to each other, in case of dispute! Use this ONLY for your own protection!

- Not sure why you can't see her profile.... unless she deleted it when you did not phone?!

The message page she contacted you on should have a link to her profile, or you can click on her photo...

Thanks for reply Helen!

If I click to the link is sais that profile isn't available to be seen for now and that I find strange.

I have replied right away though.

Also there is no photo.

No photo is common. Not filling out profile is common. In earlier years I found almost everyone filled out the profile, which I loved as it was a more personal approach. I host many first time users without verification, profile, photo. 

You can always ask guests for info! 

@Sandra126 This is the thing, I ask if they have questions regarding the accommodation or abot anything else, but I get no answer and then the pre-approval expires. 

Ask for info, a lot of people are simply new to Airbnb and don't know the ropes yet. No need to get discouraged like this over possibly nothing.