Suspicious new trend with brand new unverified guests wanting to rent long term. Any fraud going on that I need to know about?

Denise607
Level 2
Wilmington, NC

Suspicious new trend with brand new unverified guests wanting to rent long term. Any fraud going on that I need to know about?

Hello fellow hosts,

I want to check if there is a fraudulent activity going on at Airbnb that I need to know about. 

This week I received six inquiries all from brand new airbnb guests with 0 feedback and 0 activity who are asking for long term stay (3-4 months). All of these have parties of 6 to 10.  For instance, one of them asked if I can hold the house for them until she can coordinate all of her friends adding that they definitely have the money to book. Another one is asking to meet me to see the house before booking for 4 months.  One did not respond after I asked them to have their account verified by Airbnb.

In all the time I have been hosting I never had come across a situation like this. We are in a strange time of the coronovirus and I am wondering if there is a scam starting to happen where people rent through Airbnb and either found a way to staying without paying to Airbnb but found a way to show if it was paid....or not pay and stay at the property and due to covid-19  hosts cannot evict the renters for non-payment.

I guess part of the reason why I became suspicious is the number of similar requests for long-term stays by brand new Airbnb users, who have nothing in their user profile and the large number of such requests I received within the last three days. 

Is there any fraudulent activity going on that I should be aware of? Has anyone else is receiving these kinds of booking requests.

I'd really appreciate your input.

In order to keep my superhost status I cannot decline too many booking requests so I am between not losing my superhost status and being safe. 

6 Replies 6
Ricardo85
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

@Denise607 

We are indeed in a stange time of the covid.

Take a look at this lisiting (https://www.airbnb.com.br/rooms/24731888) and its house rules. Maybe you get some ideas to protect yourself from these brand new unverified guests wanting to rent long term.

Ricardo

Se você achou esta resposta útil não deixe de dar um "Like".

Meu Perfil.

Coloque "@Ricardo". Assim eu recebo uma notificação.

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Denise607  That is definitely weird how many you got at once.  

I haven't heard of a fraud or scam with these hallmarks, but I share your concerns.  What, for instance, is your state or local law about tenancy rights?

On the other hand, there was a recent New York Times article about groups of co-workers renting Airbnbs in the country since they were all working remotely in cramped apartments.  Maybe something along those lines?

I would definitely insist that each person on the reservation create an account and be listed on the reservation - not booking guest with 5 blank guests.  And I would require them to answer your questions about what brings them to the area, what are their plans for the stay, or whatever you'd like to ask them.

Finally, you could tell Customer Support that you're just not comfortable with bookings from people with no reviews and ask them to give you a pass on canceling.

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Denise607,

You appear to have keen senses, and it's very good that you are sticking to your requirements for verified accounts and not letting people preview your space.  There have been several posts about getting strange requests.  Some hosts have reported that guests book for a long-term to get the higher discount, and then after a shorter period proclaim and issue and want to leave.  Usually, Airbnb goes against its own long-term cancellation policy, and refunds the guest for the remainder of their stay that is prorated on the monthly discounted rate.  This means that the guest that stayed for maybe two weeks actually pays an amount comparable to one week.

Airbnb is not the place to host multi-month long-term reservations.  You are also very astute to mention the eviction policy.  Many states still have a moratorium on evictions, and if you rent to a guest for more than 28 to 30 days, they may gain tenants rights.  Airbnb will not be able to assist you with any tenant related situation, and you will have to go through your county court system for an eviction order.  Also, Airbnb doesn't take a true security deposit, and it would be very difficult to get reimbursed for damages.

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Denise607 I just wanted to check that you know that you don't have to decline (or accept) a booking inquiry even though the system suggests you do. If its only an enquiry just respond promptly to keep your Superhost status.

Also I really don't think Airbnb is the right platform for long term rentals - The lack of a proper security deposit is potentially disastrous as is the cancellation behaviours mentioned in other posts.

stay safe

Stephanie1215
Level 2
New York, NY

I live in Brooklyn NY and lately the strange new request I’m getting is people who want to book for one night, as one guest, but actually want to have a gathering of 5 people, which is how many my space accommodates, or more than 5. 
I appreciate them being honest about wanting to book for a party or gathering, but my red flags are constantly up with this sort of request. It’s not worth the aggravation so I do respond to them quickly but it’s usually to tell them we don’t allow parties of any kind. Plus I wouldn’t know how to charge for that sort of thing anyway. Not worth the stress I would feel with a lot of people in my home. 

Heidi588
Level 10
Santa Cruz la Laguna, Guatemala

In reading the responses here, it made me think of another Covid issue. People who may get pushed out of their homes in spite of eviction moratoriums might seek Airbnbs to live in for a while. However, that doesn't seem to fit the person who wanted it held until they could get everyone to agree. That's weird to me, especially when other long-term multi-guest requests are coming in at the same time. 

I often don't know what a red flag is about, only that I'm sensing one, and listen to that first and always. My gut response that tells me there is a red flag and to protect myself is never wrong, and I've always regretted when I've reasoned myself out of it and moved forward believing the doubt and not the warning. The bigger the red flag, the faster and more decisive my shut-down of the one sending it up.