Sustainability: energy saving products in the home?

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Sustainability: energy saving products in the home?

Sustainability.jpg

Hello everyone,

I have noticed we have quite a lot of hosts here in the CC who are interested in eco related topics, especially when it comes to your home. I'm a bit of a fan too! I’ve been following the news, and there has been a lot about the developments in electric cars and most recently the development with solar powered roof tiles.

I like this concept and so I wondered what you think the future of the energy saving/generating energy products in the home, any ideas on what you think could be next? Is this something that you would like to embrace in your home or do already?

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

70 Replies 70
Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

Simple and cheap.

Remove the dryer!

No lint. No noise.

Drying racks are cheap and earth-friendly.

You not only save energy by guests not using a dryer. You also save energy, cuz guests are less likely to do a lot of wash. Win-Win.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

I like your thinking @Paul154 . hehe. 🙂

Dryers do drink energy. 

--------------------

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Hi Paul, 

I mention on my instructions that my outdoor closeslines are 'Solar and Wind powered'....When the guests figure it out they have a laugh.

I like this gentle humour 🙂

Another option is to get a combo washer/dryer unit. It uses a bit more water but there is generally overall electricity/energy savings because you're not running a heated dryer. 

Carol678
Level 2
San Miguel de Allende, Mexico

What do you do during rainy season? That’s just coming up in San Miguel de Allende here in Mexico. We are very, very sustaunable here. But I may buy a dryer out of seasonal necessity! Everything is hand-washed or taken to the local lavenderia. Bottom line: how do you manage all your sheets and towels? 

Carol678

Two sets of sheets and towels can be exchanged when new guests arrive and then have time to wash the second set.

Noemi109
Level 2
Davao City, Philippines

hi, i also have two sets of everything

Susanna78
Level 2
Ngatangiia District, CK

Hi Carol,

The washing mashine at my house does the sheets and towels washes. But I make the softener: 2xglass of water + 1xglass of white vinager + 1/3glass of baking soda (mix very slowly) + some drops of essential oil.

For whitening I add a lemon cut in small peaces in a clothe bag in the wash.

🙂

I hope it helps,

Susanna

Hi Carol, 

i am a hostess too and interested in purchasing a place here to have as a air b n b. Would you be willing to meet with me while I am here so I could pick your brain a bit? I am here through the 1st of August.

Lunch is on me!

Esther359
Level 4
Seri Kembangan, Malaysia

Totally agree with you, Paul. I always wonder why some hosts in my neighbourhood offer dryer. I just think it's unnecessary and not eco-friendly and we do not need it in countries like Malaysia. 

Delma7
Level 2
Miles, Australia

Hi,

I have all rainwater in my accommodation. Plus water in my dams for gardening& aesthetic appeal. Hence, water views from my recreation room. Big plus. My fireplace &barbeque use limbs from my trees which have fallen off naturally and cut with an axe.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Delma7,

This sounds incredible and very clever. How does it work, do you have to pump the water into your home, filter it? 

--------------------

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Lizzie 

I can provide a wealth of information regarding green electricity because that is what we use here Lizzie. 

If sun and wind ceased totally for 7 days I could still be powering our property at our normal useage rate with stored green energy without dragging anything from the electricity grid.

I understand and have had to deal with all aspects of green power generation both with solar and with wind, and battery storage, I understand all the principals and would be glad to give other hosts advice. 

Unfortunately green energy results are a bit like asking...'how long is a piece of string'! Every property and location is going to end up with a differing result.

I also understand the number of hosts who would choose to commint to and energy generation system are very limited and that is why I won't give any tips here but if any hosts would like to pursue alternate energy generation I would be glad to help with advice either privately or publicly here for the benefit of many.

Cheers......Rob