Sustainability: energy saving products in the home?

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Sustainability: energy saving products in the home?

Sustainability.jpg

Hello everyone,

I have noticed we have quite a lot of hosts here in the CC who are interested in eco related topics, especially when it comes to your home. I'm a bit of a fan too! I’ve been following the news, and there has been a lot about the developments in electric cars and most recently the development with solar powered roof tiles.

I like this concept and so I wondered what you think the future of the energy saving/generating energy products in the home, any ideas on what you think could be next? Is this something that you would like to embrace in your home or do already?

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

70 Replies 70
Michelle264
Level 6
Hokitika, New Zealand

We live in the South Island of New Zealand. We have an off-grid farmstay in Hokitika. We are not connected to any power grid at all. We generate all our own power from solar panels. We collect all our own rainwater for drinking, washing etc. We use a woodburner to heat our home.

We try to make a big deal about us being an "eco-farm" but we still occasionally get guests that are shocked  we are on solar power only. It is in our title and all over our listing but some haven't read a word.

Our farm produces beef, lamb, pork, eggs and fruit & vegetables. We are able to share the fruit and veg with guests but sadly it isn't legal for us to offer them any of our meat. We offer home baking, home made muesli + yogurt for breakfast along with fruit we have grown. We also have our own beehives so we can offer honey as well.

We aren't totally self sufficient and don't believe we ever will be. We still have to buy loads of consumables like oil, flour etc. The majority of guests love what we offer and enjoy the chance to stay here and experience staying in an off-grid home. Some are upset that we don't have a microwave or hairdryers but they tend to the ones who are usually upset about something all the time. 🙂

We have great, fast wifi which surprises some as they thought we would be quite "basic". Some think they won't be able to charge their phones or have electric lights. Of course it is all explained in our listing as clearly as possible - but we know guests don't read.

After we had 2 destructive cyclones in two weeks last year that totally smashed our pine plantation, we have begun to restore our forrest. We now put $10 from each guest's booking towards the planting of a native NZ tree. Guests can offset a bit of their carbon footprint from their travel here by planting a tree. Not all guests are interested or concerned about this at all but we have had some positive feedback.

We will keep trying to improve and offer our guests a great experience. It would be great if we are able to add something to our listing on Airbnb that indicates we are a "green" property. I don't know how it would work or what the criteria should be. I do know that it shouldn't ever be anything a guest can rate us on. They already have no idea how the ratings works for the most basic concepts of Location and Value . Many of our guests are utterly confused about what being "green" and eco-friendly means let alone understanding being off-grid and sustainable, but it is clear that they are interested in learning  more and seeking out properties like ours.

Ben551
Level 10
Wellington, New Zealand

Hey @Michelle264 I hope you guys are hanging in there today. Some WILD weather hitting you again! I hope it doesn’t set restoration plans back further... 

Kia Kaha Hokitika!

@Michelle0

a little off topic

I hope you are Ok down your way with all the floods and loss of Waiho River bridge.

Thinking of you all, and how strong those who live in what are remaining rural areas of New Zealand are.

It was only around 50 years ago Auckland to was rural & had floods but we also had ditches/ drains  that we don;t have now, we just get different problems because of all the concrete & silly townplanning that's gone off the rails in commonsense!

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Jessica-and-Henry0, that's an amazing view & photo, I love the angles in it 🙂

Adam645
Level 4
Atlanta, GA

Yes please! I'm over the pond in Atlanta (south US) but I'm sure the same tips apply to us. Any writing on this topic would be amazing!

Laura2714
Level 9
Cottonwood, AZ

LED Night Lights & Pump Soap

Im new to AirBnb and enjoying, everyone’s earned knowledge. I’ve done two small things. 

#1- LED night lights- My guests often go out in the evening. I would leave a couple lights on for them because it can be unsafe and scary to walk into a dark unknown house. Recently, I bought energy efficient LED night lights. They use minimal energy compared to leaving on the main room light on. 

#2 - Liquid soap in a pump - I learned this when I was an AirBnb guest. The host took me into the shared bathroom and said, 

“If the bottle has a pump on the top. You can use it.”

She (& I) have good quaility, eco-friendly bath gel, shampoo, conditioner & lotion in big jugs with a pump. These are easy to refill with something I bought on sale.

Tiny hotel soaps and such contain LOTS of unneeded packaging. And, encourage people to take more then they need. The big jugs with pumps are way more cost-efficientive. Plus, it’s more clear for the guest in my shared bathroom what they are welcome to.

@Laura2714 Yes, we do the same for all the units. LED lights and big bottles all the possible guest supplies that are refillable. 

@Lizzie Great topic! Are there any suggestions for people living in condos/apartments? We do not have the luxury of renewable energy sources such as solar and wind. I have tried eco friendly thermostats - Nest and Ecobee. They help to control wastage of heating / cooling. 

Rosi46
Level 2
Daylesford, Australia

Some ideas

Host could have eco friendly kitchen /bathroom products for guests -saving the locality  from more chemicals.

Instant  gas for hot water /cooking use.

Adele95
Level 1
Johannesburg, South Africa

I have a solar geyser and most days are sunny in Johannesburg. I decided not to mention the geyser on my page, as guests might be affraid that they will have cold water! In fact it's almost never cold and it works amazingly! 

We now explain the geyser when guests arrive as well as in the guestbook, that I leave on my table  - for incase it rains or it's cold, then they need to switch the electricity on. I found mosts guest are really tired when they arrive and not really capabile to absorb all the information ... Its maybe best be actually show them on the second day when they have realxed a bit into the new environment. We also have a recycling system going for all trash.

I also give my guest plenty of cloth bags ( at the front door )  and ask them to please use it when goign to buy groceries and NOT to bring any plastic shopping bags to the house. I find guests VERY LAZY in general - as they might be on holiday and they don't want to even think about this... How to educate people that is a big question; perhaps airbnb can give points for guests that do follow recycling and use cloth bags ?

Perhaps airb&b can design green icons for solar power, solar geyesers, water tanks, recycling etc

Zoe36
Level 2
Gauteng, South Africa

We don’t just look at energy consumption but have as many eco aspects as possible: all hot water is solar heated, all appliances are energy efficient, the place is insulated so that minimal heat or cooling is required in winter or summer. We only provide organic snacks and artisanal (locally made) breakfast goodies (free-range organic eggs, organic farm yoghurt, milk & butter (I know the farm, and it’s cruelty free), gluten free luxury muesli and organic coffee & fruit), vegan shampoo, conditioner; compostable AND biodegradable trash bags; environmentally friendly and animal friendly cleaning detergents; non toxic mosquito spray; and only showers (no baths) for lower water consumption with low flow shower heads. We also separate & recycle all our trash. Pure organic cotton duvets & sheets. All local & beautifully made or repurposed retro furniture and art. It is wonderful when my guests appreciate the effort to remove toxins from their Airbnb environment. 

Mhairi4
Level 2
Andalusia, Spain

Hi

We are completely off grid ptoperty generating all of our electricity  by solar power and collecting all of our rainwater to use for our showers, loos and washing machine. We have installed Nebia water saving showers, have all led lighting, minimum of A+ rated appliances and use windpower to dry all of our washing 😂

We have installed 4cm thick cork insulation on the outside of our house and are in the process of creating a drought tolerant garden using only native plant species that once established will thrive needing no watering other than the rain they receive .

Please can airbnb create a special section on their website to allow us and others to market true Eco properties to an ever growing market of travellers looking for accommodation that has a lower impact and is more sustainable. Great to see that this discussion is underway.😊

Susanna78
Level 2
Ngatangiia District, CK

Wow, lovely level of conciousness, Mhairi.

Congratulations.

De una eco-paisana que ahora vive en las Cook.

Un abrazo,

😉

Susanna

Kim2627
Level 2
Ocala, FL

Yes online drying! Sheets so much nicer on line.... towels not so much...

Bit of dryer then the line makes them softer.  

Question to you all, we ask energy conciousness  . We ask guests to please  turn a/c or heat up or down when they leave for day.  Our place stays pretty temperate and easy to heat / cool quickly.   Most very cooperative,  just had one couple  that objected.  (But  they pretty much objected to everything).  We are looking into solar to help with energy and also tour them around farm with the sustainable practices we use.  Be well out there,  may all your guests be thoughtful and kind!

Arnold0
Level 1
Wenatchee, WA

Hi Lizzie, I live and host here in Wenatchee, Washington.  A friend of mine and I built a trailer with solar panels.  We rent it out on occassion at different locations around town.  Arnold

Angela1172
Level 2
Delphi, IN

Energy efficient kitchen, Hot plate, microwave, crock pot, toaster. Why have an 220 volt stove when with a little creativity one can cook anything with less.