Swimming pool in AirBnb

Ken-Tzu0
Level 1
San Francisco, CA

Swimming pool in AirBnb

Hello Everyone

First of all, thank you for reading. I will be a new host, and I have a swimming pool in my backyard. I asked AirBnb who confirmed that the Host Protection Insurance is automatically included with the listing/renting, which will cover against liability claims brought by third parties against the host (up to US$1M), and accidents in and by the pool is covered in this policy.  Does anyone have the unfortunate experience of using this Insurance? And is the insurance sufficient so that I don't need to worry about the higher risk with having the pool accessible by the guests?   (P.s. I will not be staying in this property.)

Thanks for your advice. 

KT 

6 Replies 6
Kaylee18
Level 10
Hamilton, Canada

@Ken-Tzu0   I do not have a pool, however I would highly suggest also getting coverage through a second insurance company. I know in Canada  a lot of hosts are also getting insurance from outside agencies and not just relying on the airbnb protection. 

I've heard Airbnb has a way of finding loop holes and sometimes do not cover hosts for certain things that we would expect to be covered for. 

I'd go with better safe than sorry, and sign on with another insurance company for coverage, or get extra coverage through your home insurance and let them know it's a rental property (again, not sure how things differ in the States) 

🙂 

Susan1404
Level 10
Covington, GA

@Ken-Tzu0  - while I don't have a pool, I do have a small lake next to my airbnb cabin.  You definitely do not want to rely on Airbnb's policy to cover you in the event of an accident.  I have read way too many posts concerning this policy and it seems that Airbnb attempts to wiggle out of just about every accident.  I have my own insurance policy for my Airbnb cabin which covers accidents up to $2 million in liability.  I would rather be over-insured than under-insured and then discover Airbnb has found a loophole to prevent them from covering me in the case of an accident.

Could someone in Florida share the names of a few or even just 1 insurance company that writes property and liability insurance for houses that are used exclusively for Short term rentals 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

If you are having difficulty finding insurance companies covering swimming pools when you search on Google @Mary3736 you could approach a local insurance broker and ask them to get you some quotes.

Julie3602
Level 1
Acton Park, Australia

Hi

I am in Tasmania, Australia do I need a back up insurance as a stand alone pool insurance

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Julie3602 

Hello Julie and welcome to the Community Centre, you will find this place a great resource and a you will learn a lot to help you with your hosting here.

Firstly, do not rely on Airbnb's Host Protection Scheme as an insurance cover....it is not! It is more of a marketing tool than anything else. You do not pay a premium for a defined level of coverage, and it is an adjudicated scheme with very limited claim options, and any payout the company may offer can be as little as 5% of what was claimed. Best not to rely on it.

Secondly almost all general insurers will not automatically cover you if you short term rent. Most will cancel their coverage if they become aware that you are short term renting or they will decline any claim you might make. The reason for this is you have altered the scope of coverage the company accepted when they issued you a policy. It's the same as a car driver having private comprehensive insurance and then using his vehicle as a taxi!

Julie, there are however Insurers in Australia who will cover STR hosts and their properties. The main ones that I am aware of are....

Sharecover.

https://sharecover.com/

EBM Rentcover

https://www.rentcover.com.au/insurance/short-term

Budget Direct.

https://www.budgetdirect.com.au/

Your current general insurer may have a policy addition for short term renting, but don't assume they will cover you, they might not.

Good luck with your hosting Julie, I hope your association with Airbnb will be as good as mine has been!

Cheers........Rob