Switch a guest on the reservation? Guest is underage. WWYD?

Harvest-Ridge1
Level 2
Paso Robles, CA

Switch a guest on the reservation? Guest is underage. WWYD?

We've had a nightmare situation where our vacation hosting company created our Airbnb listing with Instant Book and no protections (no gov id required, no previous host recommendations -- new profile just created.). We were able to log in and fix that so that this will not happen again but in the meantime, we have a reservation where this guest has no reviews and no gov id verification, although Abnb indicates guest is "verified".  

The suspicion began when the guest provided an email address to us for our Docusign rental agreement.  It was signed by an entirely different person -- messaging in platform resulted in no response from guest.  Finally received a response when I told her that the reservation will be canceled if we do not receive a response.  

Reached out to Airbnb who have been unhelpful thus far one week into the fiasco.

I am inclined to cancel this reservation.

5 Replies 5
Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

@Harvest-Ridge1  I would go ahead and cancel. You are a new host and it will take you a bit to get to superhost anyway, so no harm in doing so. Third party bookings are not permitted on ABB and terrible guests target new hosts because they are desperate for bookings and good reviews. Do yourself a favor and pull the plug. 

Take this time to make sure your listing is set up properly and that you are screening guests appropriately. Best of luck!

ETA- you need to lower your guest counts. Do not count sofas as sleeping spaces, only beds. Make it clear that parties are not permitted under any circumstances (they are illegal on ABB). $63 a night per person is in line with a cheap motel. If you want better guests, limit the number you allow to stay. 

I am also fairly sure you can't charge guests a $1000 deposit on ABB but maybe someone can chime in?

As it is indicated that a deposit is required in the listing (before booking), we can charge a separate security deposit and require that the guest provide an email address to us to send a rental agreement off platform.   If the guest signs a rental agreement indicating that they agree to pay a security deposit.  If they don't agree to sign, we have them cancel.  If the guest doesn't agree to pay a security deposit, we have then cancel.  The issue is brought up to Abnb if needed that the guest does not agree to the terms in our listing.

There's some information in the post below about how to use the Resolution center to charge a security deposit.

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/Booking-is-not-charging-me-security-deposit-when-stated-...

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Harvest-Ridge1 

i think the main issue is in the subject line of your post.

if the guest is underaged, then it is (besides being probably a 3rd party booking) a violation of Airbnb terms and guest probably also not allowed to sign the document.  Inform the booker about this and ask to cancel the reservation, otherwise report all issues  again to Airbnb.

Harvest-Ridge1
Level 2
Paso Robles, CA

Thanks, all.  I went ahead and canceled and the cancelation was penalty free as per Airbnb.

M199
Level 10
South Bruce Peninsula, Canada

@Harvest-Ridge1 

I would cancel the reservation and terminate the vacation hosting service immediately.