TO MUCH COMMUNICATION IS A BAD THING ?

Shaun69
Level 10
Hurstpierpoint, United Kingdom

TO MUCH COMMUNICATION IS A BAD THING ?

Hi Folks,

I used to think that lots of communication with guests was a good thing, however as my experience of hosting has increased I have found that the more questions asked equates to an increase in problems later or a complete waste of time because the guest doesn't book. We have had two enquires from potential guests in the last week that have proved the title of this thread might be true, both have asked numerous questions, received numerous positive replies but still haven't booked. I have come to the conclusion that there are people out there who have nothing better to do than ask questions on AIRBNB simply to feel needed. Maybe I am wrong but in my "red flag column" of indicators of bad guests I am going to add to much communication.

Regards Shaun.

31 Replies 31
Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Shaun69 I feel that one’s listing should be thorough enough to have most questions covered. Yours seems to be pretty detailed so then I would say it is a waist of time. Someone who needs so much information beyond what is covered will never be happy. However if you keep getting the same questions, it is time to answer them in your listing

Shaun69
Level 10

@Inna22 Totally agree, however on this issue I will add it to the "red flag column" of potential bad guests.

Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Shaun69 Yes, I absolutely agree, particularly if they are questions that are answered in the listing. I think it's an indication that the potential guest hasn't read your listing and are just spamming a list of hosts with the same generic questions rather than narrowing down the choices themselves.

Sometimes, I've also found that guests who ask a ton of questions before staying are needy, problem guests, particularly if the questions could be easily answered on their own, such as "how far are you from (fill in your local landmark here)?" after they get my exact address. There are exceptions: I had a very sweet couple stay with me last year who asked so many questions that it started to be a joke between us, but they were amazing guests. However, overall, I consider it to be a red flag.

Shaun69
Level 10

@Alexandra316 Spot on my friend, the bottom line is it is a time issue, I have only got so many hours a day and if I spend "x" on potential guest "a"  who doesn't book but needs five or more emails then it is not cost effective. I think with hindsight about five questions is acceptable any more equates to problems!!!!

Regards Shaun

Victoria567
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

Hi @Shaun0

Yes all the extensive question posers were the entitled guest.

I had an older couple of retired professional people for whom I organised a taxi service, gave them detailed information of various tours in the area.

Despite having my other bedroom booked and explaining something to another couple, they butted in, thinking they were more important and their needs had priority over the other guests.

They clipped their suitcase against the oak panel, left a stain on the dressing table stool.

To top it off they shared a couple of drams of fine malt whisky with us and did not even bother themselves to take the time to  leave a review.

Yet these entitled guests were bothered enough to ask me screeds of questions and help in organising their stay prior to arriving.........never again, this has become a red flag indicator of the entitled guest......for whom everything has become their right, your home is a hotel and yiu the host are their servant.

Shaun69
Level 10

@Victoria567 Hi, we are both learning as we go along this AIRBNB journey, you are right about entitled guests, however if we can filter out the undisirables at an early stage life would be a dream!

Regards Shaun

Niel3
Level 10
Llanberis, United Kingdom

Yep the more questions a prospective guest asks the more my spidey sense tingles, there comes a point where I will start giving answers that I think will make my place sound unsuitable to them so they will look elsewhere. 🙂

@Niel3 Yep, I do the same. I had a guest this week who asked if we had a fridge and stove, among other gems, and I sent them some responses that discouraged them from staying.

What did you write? Curious 🙂 

id do the same too

Shaun69
Level 10

@Niel3 I haven't quite got to that stage Niel but I support your chain of thought, other host are right when they say over time you get a feeling for the problem children!

This made me laugh out loud, Niel. Clearly you are a much more advanced  and experienced host than I. Such behaviour never occurred to me 🙂

Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

I am in the @Niel3 and @Alexandra316 camp, @Shaun69. My answers start to deteriorate until they are very nearly "Just don't come here, okay?" As you say, when the over-askers do not book, you have wasted your time, but you can comfort yourself knowing you have dodged a bullet. You only chatted with that needy guest - you didn't have to host him. 

Shaun69
Level 10

@Lawrene0 I agree totally, but at the end of the day what we all need to put in place is a method of identifying the problem guest before they arrive. I have been building my "red flag list" for the last few months, it is still in its early draft but as time goes by and my experiece increases it content and accuracy will improve!

Regards Shaun

Victoria567
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

Hi @Shaun69

Take a look at my house rules.....every single one of them the result of an experience with an entitled guest!

Some of it would make your mind boggle.