TOT calculation and gross receipts

Chris11
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

TOT calculation and gross receipts

In am in San Bernardino county and getting ready to pay my Transient Occupancy Tax.

According the the county this is calculated as "7% tax on any payment made that is not going back to the renter as a deposit."

So from the guests point of view, this should be 7% of the amount they are paying Airbnb. However, I cannot find how much the renter has paid, only what my payout is.If I use the transaction report, it does not include the fees the guest pays to Airbnb, so I cannot properly calculate my tax.

Is there anyway to find out exactly how much the guest is paying?

6 Replies 6
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Chris11  I don't see that Air BNB is collecting SB County TOT so it appears you are trying to calculate what you owe the County in TOT, right?  You will not find it calculated in this platform, but all you have to do is take the correct percentage of the total rent and cleaning fee and any other fees collected (not security deposit) and self report to the County along with your check.   Make sense?

Hello Linda,

It makes sense, but misses the main point of my issue. I already know that I have to self report.

Airbnb does not provide " total rent and cleaning fee and any other fees collected" it only reports the amount that I am paid minus the host fee. They do not provide how much the guest actually paid to Airbnb. 

Make sense?

Hello, I just started renting and have gotten my permit, how do I charge my guests the TOT tax on the platform?

Thomas27
Level 3
Joshua Tree, CA

Soon you won’t need to be concerned about remitting TOT. San Bernardino has reached an agreement with Airbnb starting on August 1st, 2018 for Airbnb to automatically collect TOT for rentals located in unincorporated areas and remit it to the county on a quarterly basis. If your rental is located in an incorporated city like Yucca Valley, they may have their own permitting process and may have already put an automatic collection agreement in place. 

There is a Short Term Rentals ordinance for the mountain area but none currently in place for other unincorporated areas. One is in the works for the Morongo Basin. 

Here’s the info from the agenda of the recent Board of Supervisors meeting:

13) Approve Voluntary Collection Agreement with Airbnb Inc. to collect and remit transient occupancy tax on behalf of third-party individuals and entities that utilize Airbnb Inc.’s online booking platform for short-term lodging in the unincorporated areas of San Bernardino County, effective August 1, 2018.
(Presenter: Oscar Valdez, Auditor-Controller/Treasurer/Tax Collector, 382-7000)

The presentation starts at 0:39:50

http://sanbernardino.granicus.com/MediaPlayer.php?view_id=13&clip_id=4383

If you have a rental in the Morongo Basin, there is a hosting group called the Joshua Tree Gateway Communities Vacation Rentals Association were you can get loads of important local info and keep up on the upcomming ordinance process. 

www.JosuhaTreeVRA.com 

Brian796
Level 1
Murrieta, CA

So now it is January of 2019, I can find no evidence anywhere on Airbnb that my TOT was paid for my unincorporated rental in Big Bear.  Any advice? 

Jennifer62
Level 4
Montclair, NJ

How do we get documentation to show that AirBNB paid gross receipts tax to NM? I can see they did (actually between Santa Fe's 7% and our 8.3475 gross receipts, they often took too much from my guests but I do not know how to prove they did this. Already filed GRT for years so I have an account. Does anyone know how to get AirBNB on the phone about this? Maddening. I'll be darned if I pay it twice because they can't be bothered to do proper accounting.