TV in your guest room?

Betty124
Level 5
Westminster, CO

TV in your guest room?

Greetings, fellow hosts!

Currently,  I do not have a TV downstairs in the guest suite.   

However, I DO have a nice  smart TV in my den,  and I mention it in

several places in my listing.."Please  feel free to come up and watch TV  in my den!"

But none of the guests ever take me up on it.

I'm wondering .... should  I  make it a priority to get one for the guest room?

Did you put one in your guest room?

Just wondering if it's a big deal when guests are selecting somewhere to stay...

Thanks!

Betty

11 Replies 11
Noel63
Level 10
Coober Pedy, Australia

I think it would be a good investment.

Andreas-and-Anna0
Level 10
West Vancouver, Canada

Helps with their sense of privacy, we have one mounted in the  bedroom wall.

Rachel0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Betty124 Yes, I think it's a good idea.  I put one in the guest suite about 2 years ago and although not all guests use it I have found that solo travellers have appreciated it.  

Sam397
Level 10
Reno, NV

I would definitely put one in the guest room. Some people like to go to sleep with the tv on or may want to watch something different then what you are watching. Doesn't have to be a 65" UHD TV,  a 55" should be fine as long as its 3D. 

Barry-and-Lera0
Level 10
Sarasota, FL

@Betty124: Yes it would be a good idea for guests to have a TV of their own.

Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

@Betty124, I don't have a TV in my guest room and I find that the only guests that ever want to watch TV are older (usually Australian) couples - I have had several of these guests ask if they can just 'watch the news' and then end up sitting in my living room the whole evening watching TV. I really don't like it - there is literally NOTHING more awkward than watching TV with complete strangers, so I have now stated on my listing that the living room is not available unless specifically invited. Young people don't tend to watch TV as they are happy just to connect to the internet with my Wifi. I really don't know if it's a dealbreaker for bookings or not - it most certainly isn't for me as literally the last thing I want to do when on holiday is watch TV. However, I'm not most people so can't really speak for them. If you have the money and the space, maybe you should provide one - it definitely wouldn't hurt.

@Betty124

I think it would really depend on the type of guests you get. I don't have a TV in my home, not for me, not for guests.....nada. I do have high-speed wifi so guests can stream-watch whatever they want on their laptop, phone or tablet. We also provide information about apps that stream local (korean) tv shows and the news (in real or near-real time) with English subtitles for those who are interested.

I host a lot of exchange student guests so it's probably one of the reasons why no TV is not a problem but if I got alot of guests their 40s and above I'd probably end up getting one for the guest bedroom.

My parents never stay longer than 1 night at my house because I have no TV 🙂

David3296
Level 2
Belfast, United Kingdom

i provide a 24inch smart tv in all my guest rooms with netflix

i find guests like youtube as a tv channel on the smart tv and can put on whatever they like such as music videos before they go out

Or sign in with their own netflix account and watch a movie order a pizza

far more value with this than a lounge tv

im surprised more hosts dont offer smart tv as an extra luxury on their listing

my listing says King bed room with smart tv netflix

smart also had radio on it

the 24inch cost me £140 stg uk each

Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Betty124

We have one in the guest suite so that don't have to come to our living area to watch TV. It gives them a bit of privacy. I don't think it's a deal breaker when booking a place, but it's fairly standard to have a TV in a guest room. (We also have a selection of DVDs - which guests seem to like)

Angela1448
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

would you recommend a Smart TV or just a regular Freeview TV?  We have decided to add a TV to our room as we do get some older clients.   

Brittani7
Level 4
Florida, US

We have a smart TV in one rental and another Roku TV in the other rental.  Honestly, I like the Roku set up better  as I feel it is easier to navigate but I like that guests have the option to more then just watching the channels on the TV.