Take a moment to complete payment information or payments will be stopped

Sean14
Level 5
Northampton, United Kingdom

Take a moment to complete payment information or payments will be stopped

I received an email last week from Airbnb (I hope) asking me to complete some information otherwise payments will be witheld. 

When I clicked the link they asked me to confirm my name, address, and DOB - information they already had.

I cannot find anything online about this. Why would AirBnb ask for this information again? Have any of you received a similar email?

Thanks

17 Replies 17
Elena87
Level 10
СПБ, Russia

@Sean14

If you have the header from the email you can compare it to the guidance given by airbnb

www.airbnb.com/help/article/971/how-do-i-know-if-an-email-is-really-from-airbnb

Kathie21
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

"...when I clicked the link..."

Sigh.

Sean14
Level 5

How do you navigate your electronic life without ever clicking a link Kathie? Sounds amazing.

I checked the email headers before clicking and they looked fine. I think this is genuine but I am more curious about why AirBnB wants this information again.

Kathie21
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

I just go to the website direct.  Especially if it's an email from a site that I have financial dealings with - Airbnb, Amazon, Ebay, banks.  All very common guises for phishing attempts.

Shaun69
Level 10
Hurstpierpoint, United Kingdom

@Sean14 I had exactly the same request from AIRBNB on Friday, everything looked genuine so I gave them the information requested. I then recieved a notification that my payments would NOT be paused.

My gut feeling was it is just duplication of data!

Regards Shaun

Sean14
Level 5

Cheers Shaun. Appreciate the input

Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

@Sean14 & @Shaun69  You need to run a virus and malware on your computer and phone immediately. Also go into AirBnB from another computer or phone and change your password and check that the last 4 digit's showing for you bank account are yours. You have have fallen for a phishing scam and given away your identity to someone and possibly put a key logger on your device. Call your bank to put an alert on your account they may actually close it for your protection and also the credit score company to notify you if anyone try's to use your information to set up other accounts or use your current ones. Never ever give this information without calling to verify that it is legit. As @Kathie21  says "Sigh", so many people fall for this.  

Sean14
Level 5

Normally I'd agree 100% but I even found a page on the airbnb website detailing why they would ask for such information and what information is required of individuals vs companies. It seems legit. 

Besides, not much can be done with a DOB and address - that stuff is easy to get hold of anyway.

Also - when I clicked the link it logged me in automatically. So either it's real or it's fake and they DON'T have my password info.

Hi how did you get on with this matter as i am haveing the same problem was it a scam? if so what did you do ? TIA sue

It ocured to me after reading these post and just signing up as a host that I don't know how I get paid. The site did not ask for banking information. 

I am asking myself the same question and wondering what they mean when they ask for "address for payout." Is that my address or the bank's?

Sue586
Level 2
Wales, GB

Hi how did you get on with this matter as i am having the same problem was it a scam? if so what did you do ? TIA sue

Sean14
Level 5

Turned out fine and it was genuine

When you get an email with a link - hover over it with your mouse (do NOT click on it). It is often a very convincing fraud and hovering will give you the exact address you're about to be forwarded to. So it might "look" like an Airbnb or legitimate link - but the "hover" may show you something that is clearly bogus.

IF Airbnb wanted to send you a notice, you would be able to also find it on your account in "Notifications" or in your profile.

When in doubt, call customer service first. There's a lot of people who are booking with fake Airbnb's for the same reason - fraud meant to look legit.  Same happens here when people get "called" by the "IRS" demanding info over the phone. sigh. sigh. sigh.

You may need to monitor your credit for a while, or put a freeze on your file so someone can't use your info to open accounts in your name.

Again - never EVER click on a link in an email asking for personal information. Legit businesses don't do it that way.