Taking Airbnb to court

Michael2618
Level 1
San Francisco, CA

Taking Airbnb to court

Hi all. 

I was was wondering if anyone has had any success in taking Airbnb to small claims court in the US? 

We had a guest book our chalet for 2 months over the peak ski season and then after a few days create a couple of spurious issues which an Airbnb agent decided let them out of their contract with us. 

The guests simply didn’t like the property and were angling to get out of the long term rental but it has put us in a horrible situation as it’s now going unrented for our peak season which will end up costing us several thousand dollars. 

I’m still going back and forth with Airbnb but they’ve not been great (supervisors promising to call us back and not doing so, closing the case etc. on top of agents giving us contradictory advice). 

My my next step will be to take them to small claims court in San Francisco. I’ve talked to a couple of lawyers who say we have a strong case as there was no reason for the guest to violate the T&Cs of their booking.

Had anyone had any success with this approach? 

2 Replies 2
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Why would you rush to use expensive lawyers (of course they say you have a case they want your money).

1. Use social media to push for a response

2. Use Airbnb arbitration system if they don't pay out for your stay.

What were the issues the guests raised by the way which led to the refund.

I’ve spoken to the case managers and supervisors four times and each time they promise to review the case and call me back and never do. Everyone is nice and friendly and promises they are looking into it urgently and then nothing. I call back and am back in the same loop. 

There is no way to even get into arbitration. They just make promises and don’t respond. Small claims court doesn’t require a lawyer so at this point I feel like it’s worth a shot.