Taxes in Horry County, Myrtle Beach South Carolina?

Steve319
Level 1
Hershey, PA

Taxes in Horry County, Myrtle Beach South Carolina?

New rental condo owners....I am slightly confused as to what taxes Airbnb is collecting and submitting on the hosts behalf?  Some are saying only the 7% to the state, yet when you do a mock reservation, it is clearly charging the guest 10%.  So what is it that we have to pay to Horry County if Airbnb is handling all state taxes?

11 Replies 11

@Steve319 - It might not be just state sales taxes but occupancy tax.  It might also be another tax to the county.  Looks like Horry County has a Hostpitality Fee - 3% of gross proceeds from Rental of Transient Accommodations.  You should consult a tax professional regarding your tax liability for your Airbnb business.  

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/481/how-do-taxes-work-for-hosts

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/654/what-is-occupancy-tax--do-i-need-to-collect-or-pay-it

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1036/how-does-occupancy-tax-collection-and-remittance-by-airbnb-...

http://www.horrycounty.org/Departments/HospitalityFee.aspx

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1857/what-are-airbnb-service-fees

Please note: Businesses located inside the city limits will calculate the fee at 1.5% of the gross proceeds from the Sale of Food/Beverages, Rental of Transient Accommodations and Paid Admissions and/or Amusements. All businesses must register with the S.C. Department of Revenue. In addition, businesses located inside the city limits must register with their local municipality.

Accommodations for Transients Includes rental or charges for any rooms, campground spaces, lodgings, or sleeping accommodations furnished to transients by any hotel, inn, tourist court, tourist camp, motel, campground, residence, or any place in which rooms, lodging or sleeping accommodations are furnished to transients for a consideration within the County to which the sales tax imposed by the State of South Carolina pursuant to Section 12-36-920 of the South Carolina Code applies.

• All applicable short-term accommodation rentals require collection and remittance of the Hospitality Fee.
  • Long-term accommodation rentals 90 consecutive days at the same location to the same patron does not require collection and remittance of the Hospitality Fee.
  • If accommodations are arranged by a property manager, insure that the property manager is collecting and remitting Hospitality Fees.
James165
Level 10
Atlanta, GA

I wish Airbnb allowed hosts to put the tax percentage as a separate fee rather than either adding it to the price or using the resolution center. In our case, by adding it to the price,that means the 9% they take also gets applied to the additional 3% I have to pay locally, rather than being separated out. And while adding a tax option, they need to add a pet fee option!

When I joined, I was told that there was no tax that I had to collect as Airbnb collcts all taxes due for a Myrtle Beach property. I have several Airbnb guests booked, so I hope I can clarify this sooner rather than later!

Emily659
Level 1
North Carolina, United States

you still need to submit city, if you are within city limits and the hospitality fee mentioned above for the county (horry)  this is an additional 3%

Hi Louise,

This is off topic, but Im looking to rent out my condo in Murrells Inlet via airbnb. Do you use a cohost or a management service to rent your place out? Thanks!

@Charles922 If you still need help with this years later lol reach out to me!

Pat271
Level 10
Greenville, SC

I just talked to Airbnb, and we went through an example of one of my confirmed reservations to see exactly what Airbnb is collecting and remitting to South Carolina:

2 nights at $115 a night.    $230.00

Cleaning Fee.                              85.00

Airbnb Guest Fee.                    40.64

———-

5% sales and use

2% accommodation             X      .07

———-

$24.89 is the exact amount that Airbnb collected and remitted.  Therefore, the guests are also paying tax on the Airbnb Guest Fee.

The city where my condo is located (Greenville) also imposes an additional 3% local occupancy tax.  I’ll have to find a way to collect that tax on my own - either by raising my rates to cover it (unfair, because Airbnb would receive a commission on the local tax), or by collecting it through the Resolution center.  I notice there is a “Community Fee” that Airbnb provides as an option  under Pricing/Standard Fees and Charges, maybe I can collect it there.

Lillie13
Level 2
Leland, NC

My condo is in Horry County - Myrtle Beach and it appears that Airbnb  is collecting over 10% for taxes.  I'm pretty sure SC only charges 9% so why are they collecting so much? Has anyone else noticed this?  When you ask support about the percentage they send you a useless link.

Horry county  also imposes an additional 3% local occupancy tax that I must pay directly because Airbnb doesn't collect or remit this.  I find it extremely frustrating that support sends you links to help articles that are clear as mud on this issue.  I've wasted countless hours trying to get clarification from Airbnb.  The only way I found out about it was to call the Horry county tax office and found out that Airbnb does not have an account.  BTW ..VRBO does have one.   I’m now collecting that tax by raising my rates to cover it (unfair, because Airbnb would receive a commission on the local tax).   Why can't Airbnb fix this issue?

@Lillie13I was just digging into this as well. I found this https://www.avalara.com/mylodgetax/en/resources/vacation-rental-tax-guides/south-carolina.html

I would ask a CPA I think Airbnb does collect this 3% hospitality tax for us.

Lillie13
Level 2
Leland, NC

Thanks. Airbnb definitely does not collect and pay the county tax. Hosts beware!

So, how can owners collect it through the Airbnb platform?