Teenagers trashed our house

Answered!
Hanka2
Level 2
Scarborough, Australia

Teenagers trashed our house

Hi,

IMG_3939.jpgIMG_3941.jpgIMG_3956.jpgIMG_3974.jpgIMG_4034.jpgIMG_4053.jpgIMG_4056.jpgIMG_4078.jpgIMG_4063.jpgI just discovered this community page and read a lot of negative feedback on how Airbnb is not very supportive when guests trash a house. That makes me feel very uncomfortable right now. Unfortunately we had to make this horrific experience ourselves 9 days ago. A person booked the house for 4 people for 1 night and it turned out to be a huge teenage party with sex, drugs and alcohol. We have our house on the market for sale and advised that person prior to checkin that we expect our guests to be respectful with our home and that parties are not allowed (it's in the house rules anyway). They even assured us prior to checkin that they would leave it in great condition... However, police was there that night to pick up a 14 year old girl and take her home. The rest of the 28 people I counted at my house that night were propably not much older as they didn't even have cars. I found out that the event was posted on social media. Thank Godness our neighbours informed us about what was going on, so we could at least go there and make them leave. The house was a huge mess by then, but what is even more unbelievable - they came back that night, broke in through the window and trashed the place even more. On checkout day that reservation was cancelled by the guest - I don't understand how that is even possible after the checkin date! I guess that will safe them the safety deposit...

I'm still in the process of dealing with the police as well as seeking for help from Airbnb. The damages are over 10.000$ and we are not in the financial position to cover the damages ourselves. I spent 9 days getting repairs and cleaning on the way, not even knowing whether I will get that money back. It's very frustrating and unfair, I'm still shocked by all this. But I still don't want to give up any hope that these people will NOT get away with this. Who knows, they might have booked another place for their next party already...

1 Best Answer
Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Hanka2,

I am so sorry to hear about your home. It sounds like you have already been in touch with our Support Team, but if not I would recommend contacting them, here is the no. for Australia: +61 2 8520 3333. Here is also a useful Community Guide on the different ways to reach the team. 

I really hope you get this resolved and you can get your home looking lovely again. 

Best of luck with everything.

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

View Best Answer in original post

25 Replies 25
Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Hanka2 So Sorry this has happened to you.....those pigs. So glad the police are involved. Sounds like you are doing the steps correctly for getting reimbursement with police - contacting Airbnb - photos, documentation for replacement and cost of everything.....they will want to depreciate stuff.....your before photos everything is so new and that's also good.....Also, make sure you do NOT mention in anything online about a claim/or resolution center/police because ABB doesn't like that. Just make sure a supervisor helps you and stay calm and nice to Customer service....many folks get all crazy and take it out on Customer service and they shut them down and the hosts loses out big time, I'm pretty sure.  It is obvious that the place was trashed.....make sure you flag this guy/give 1 star and a

warning that "Much damage and total disrespect for our property - NOT WELCOME HERE- a party that trashed the place was the horrible end to this booking. A warning to Hosts!  something like that..... but nothing about police,claim,resolution as you don't want it removed! 

I hope this is the one and only time anyone ever does such to you folks - I know its hard to use it as a learning, but, its important to find something useful out of this horror story.

Again, I wish you peace and so sorry this happened.

blessings, Clara

Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Hanka2 also,  since its been 9 days - in a few days your review will post.....make sure you do one before 14 days is up. After 14 days your review will show on his profile - even if he doesn't write anything.  That way other host will get a warning of some sort. peace

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Hanka2

I am so sorry to hear of your misfortune Hanka. This does not happen often....it has never happened to me but, we have seen enough of it here to know that it exists and I really hope that Airbnb will help you get back on track again.

The big lesson here is.....never let to locals! Hanka, it is one of the golden rules of hosting!

Why does this person need the use of my property rather than their own?

The boss who wants a clandestine affair with the secretary is not going to jump state borders to do it!

Locals seriously do not make good guests and I need to sight a cast iron reason why somebody from my area wants to spend some time in my listing!

All the best Hanka, I hope this can be resolved for you!

Cheers.....Rob

Olga394
Level 4
Cape Town, South Africa

@Anonymous my heart breaks for you... I really hope airbnb will help you. 

It is always such a gamble. I have had a group of 18 year old kids stay once. My nerves! They were fantastic guests. As opposed to a family fromsame country I'm from who smoked in my cottage, stained towels,  used furniture as napkins. I was still so new to hosting. My bigest regret is that i did not give them a one star review.... (they did not even bother to review me). My second regret is that I did not take photos. 

I am a firm believer in Karma...let's  hope those kids get what is due to them. Maybe you can get hold of their parents or school through a bit of searching.... 

Good luck. 

Kind regards, Olga xx

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

This is every host's nightmare 😞 So sorry...

Another reason to set up security deposit (at least 200$) , to take their ID on arrival and to meet our guests personally at check in.

I hope you will be refunded for the damage. You will need receipts from all things damaged or at least a link to the same product online if it is possible to replace it with the same new one.

All repair estimates and bills have to be from registered firms / repairman. Not from some local handyman.

Good luck

Victoria567
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

@Hank6a

Those photos speak all by themselves....truly horrible.

I really am sorry this has happened to you.....every hosts nightmare are such poorly behaved guests, bouncing from unsuspecting host to host on the air bnb platform.

We read about such vandalism in the press, but these photos are worth a thousand words.

I hope get fully reimbursed, ASAP.

Hanka2
Level 2
Scarborough, Australia

Thank you for all your caring words and advise. I changed the requirements of guests to have an ID provided, the rest of them have been in place already. I still can’t seem to access the $350 security deposit due to them cancelling the reservation. That really bothers me.

We fixed almost everything now on our own expenses - I hope we won’t be left alone with that as we really can’t effort that! I will keep you updated once I hear from Airbnb.

Hi Hanka, 

we have been hosting for nearly 5 yrs now and just had the same experience. 1night booking, that was actually put into us by Airbnb, because the previous host had cancelled on the boy. The boy had actually added 'his ID', so it shows that these kids can fake or make things up. The boy's  picture alarmed me as he looked 15/16 yrs old. (They were so stupid to put such a picture) I phoned Airbnb and asked them to check his age and tell me why the previous host had cancelled but they were not able to answer my questions. Our neighbours phoned us in the evening to let us know about what was happening, there were about 25 young kids having a party, taking drugs and alcohol. We also involved the police and are now dealing with the resolution center. 

We also got the reservation cancelled the day after and the boy removed his account from Airbnb. 

I know Airbnb will make things difficult for us, we have not kept receipt from 6 yrs ago!!!! It's also about the stress, frustration and seeing your place that you care so much for being trashed by these young idiots, how can Airbnb compensate me for this?

Pete69
Level 10
Los Angeles, CA

This is why I don't do 1 night stays.

You might mention in your description that it's a "quiet neighborhood" and "neighbors all seem to be in bed by 10 PM" or something like that in norder to discourage would be partiers from selecting your stay.

If someone did that to my place I would just call the cops. It rises to the level of "vadalism" AFAIC.

Michael2413
Level 3
North Andover, MA

Don't let up on Airbnb and make sure all the photos you documented are ready to go.  Make sure you get the police reports ready to submit to Airbnb. Write a statement describing everything in detail.  Collect all your receipts.

Haven't gone through this ourselves but I imagine Airbnb will give you the runaround. Do not back down on it.

I would absolutely press charges if you are able to track them down.  

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

I would be carefully combing thru the police report to gather all the info you can, my guess is that you'll be suing these young people and their parents to recover any damages. We would all hope that ABB will do the right thing, but not terribly likely. Perhaps some local news group would like to feature your story? But maybe your realtor would advise not airing such dirty laundry while you're trying to sell.

One night rental, I wouldn't do it.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Hanka2,

I am so sorry to hear about your home. It sounds like you have already been in touch with our Support Team, but if not I would recommend contacting them, here is the no. for Australia: +61 2 8520 3333. Here is also a useful Community Guide on the different ways to reach the team. 

I really hope you get this resolved and you can get your home looking lovely again. 

Best of luck with everything.

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Ani61
Level 2
New York, NY

Please help us

What happened after this incident? Did you get money for damages?

This happened last night to our beach property. 40 teenages trashed the place and my parents live 2.5hrs away. No arrests were made. To avoid the property being damaged again we changed the lock so these kids cannot enter. Airbnb first said it is their policy for them to call and ask these kids if they want their money back and we have to give it to them. Then they said oh nevermind this a "unique" situation but if the kids call we have to refund their money. We filed a claim for damages and sent photographs, will airbnb give us money? The cops won't help us either. They came back because the teens said we "held their stuff hostage in there". We don't mind giving their stuff back, but what about teens damaging our property? Smoking illegal substances in the house?

Marie82
Level 10
New South Wales, Australia

@Ani61  unfortunately this is 1 of the primary reason many hosts do not offer 1 night stay. Specially during week end