Tenant lied about gas leak to avoid cancellation fee

Brent246
Level 2
Petersburg, VA

Tenant lied about gas leak to avoid cancellation fee

I've been an AirBnB host since 2013 - We have been SuperHosts for a good majority of that time.

Recently a tenant booked a 6 month stay at our apartment. He asked about kids and I informed him it was not kid friendly, (which is also in the AriBnB description.) He pushed and said he wanted to rent anyway, and since I legally can not refuse to rent to someone with children, I accepted his reservation.

A week in he informed me the apartment isn't suitable for kids, and he wants to cancel. I told him to use the AirBnB app to cancel, and they would determine the penalty for early termination.

He then proceeded to call the fire department twice complaining of a gas smell. They didn't find anything and on the second visit, they turned off the valve to the furnace. (I called the fire department and their policy is, if they detect gas, they contact the gas company and have the gas shut off at the meter. They didn't do that).

He moved out and then told me he was gone.

He reported to AirBnB that the reason he left was he felt unsafe due to the gas leak.

I had an A/C repair company come in, and they did not find a leak. I sent a copy of their invoice to AriBnB and it stated that no leak was found.

I received a paltry payout for only the days the tenant was in the unit - 13 days. No penalty for early termination.

I was not able to lease the apartment due to AriBnB putting a hold on it while they investigated the issue.

Today I was informed that I now have a safety strike against me and if I get another, my unit will be removed from AirBnB.

I have spoken with several people on the SuperHost support line, and they always refuse to put me in phone touch with the team that handles these issues.

The tenant only had one review. He is new to AriBnB. He lied to get out of paying a penalty, I have been punished financially, and now could lose AirBnB as a way to lease the apartment - and there was nothing wrong with the unit.

How does one go about disputing a claim like this ? How do you get in touch with someone that can make a decision ?

Any thoughts are appreciated.

7 Replies 7
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Brent246  Stop phoning Airbnb. Use the messaging system or their Twitter account. Be patient but persistent.

You most certainly can decline a guest who wants to break your rules. You do not legally have to accept children. If your listing says not suitable for children, guests cannot bring children. You should have declined this booking at the outset.

Thank you

Brent246
Level 2
Petersburg, VA

Thanks Sarah - I appreciate the advice in re: using their messaging system.

I was worried about refusing a reservation based on kids, as there are laws on the books about not being allowed to discriminate by not renting to families. I'm going to check Virginia law to make sure I  don't go astray of any state regulations.  

@Brent246  you are confusing long-term rentals with short-term rentals. Even some hotels refuse to accept children. If you state your house is suitable while it is not it can be dangerous. I always say I am sorry, it is not suitable and we don't have anything for kids - no crib, no plastic plates and glasses, no toys, high chair, laundry machine...a lot of glass top tables...  and then they understand 🙂

Regarding Airbnb procedure... they should really stop blocking our listings before investigation.  But, we can always use other platforms while we are blocked here... and after, right?

Thank you.

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Brent246 

As soon as someone tries to claim that your house rules violate their rights under the law you should decline their reservation.

Both parties can play this “I feel unsafe” game.

If all else fails you can claim that your insurance will not allow or cover children. In my case that is true and I definitely appreciate it.

Airbnb is not an appropriate place to do rentals in excess of 28 days. If you want to rent for longer terms, let them book for 28 days, then offer them a standard lease with first, last and security deposit in advance if they aren’t horrible.

Good advice - thank you.