Terrible Customer Service week of August 19th

Diane749
Level 2
Saskatoon, Canada

Terrible Customer Service week of August 19th

I have had a terrible experience with Air BNB the last week of August 19, 2019  First they changed an account setting that allowed Instant Bookings, and I received a booking that I tried to cancel but the guest wanted to stay amid some housekeeping issues that were serious enough to warrant them not to stay.  She personally used my phone number for texting so that is all recorded.  

Then I had a second booking for 3 weeks well over $2,000.00 the guest checked in.  Then over three hours later today after checkin of 12pm(noon)  I receive a message form Air BNB saying they cancelled the reservation due to non -payment.  No notification except the booking yesterday, I accepted.  I brought this to their attention this morning when I looked and saw "Awaiting payment".  Over six hours later from initial inquiry and after guest checked in was I advised they cleared my calendar however left the calendar booked until now then removed it.  Now I have a problem right?  Anyone know whom at Air BNB dale with the disaster occurring there lately.

21 Replies 21
Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

@Diane749 you're having a bit of a time of it aren't you? First, are you sure Airbnb changed your account settings? It appears that you have Instant Book on now for example. You can switch this off under Booking Settings.

I'm a bit confused by your second story. Do you mean the guest booked only 6 hours or the day before checking in? Sometimes 'Awaiting Payment' occurs if there is an issue with the guests payment details. So it sounds like this was the case but you didn't notice this yourself (which is odd because it is quite clear when this happens). It sounds like Airbnb did you a massive favour by cancelling the reservation for you, and it shouldn't affect any other bookings if the guest booked immediately before checking in. I doubt that 6 hours for Airbnb to clear your calendar would make any difference whatsoever so I'm not quite sure what you're feeling so indignant about.  

Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

Or are you saying that the booking was cancelled by Airbnb but your calendar is still blocked? 

Joey booking copy.jpg

23 AUGUST 2019

Airbnb Support
Airbnb Support08:20
Hello Diane,

Thank you for alerting us to the suspicious activity on your Airbnb account.

You can immediately recover your account by going to: 
Airbnb Support
Airbnb Support21:55
This message thread will be closed — please check your email for further communication from Trust & Safety.

Thank you,

Instant Book should not be on my account now as we addressed that. Air BNB states that an unknown log-in hacked my account as messaged by Herena at Air BNB. Password reset special offer sent to guest because of work in home, etc... concerning though.

Now in reference to the guest being in my home currently.  Yes the guest booked 18 hours prior to arrival, no I do not have a waiting period deleted between guests I removed it for them to accommodate.  You said it is quite clear about a missing payment.  How do you know this? What is the process, I rcvd no notification from Air BNB until I looked this afternoon and see that they cancelled the reservation after the guests checked-in. So what typically happens? Indignant is the term you use, well I have a guest in my home! 

@Diane749 wait, are you saying the guest is still in your home??? If so, you really do have a problem. If they are not leaving, then you should call the police immediately for trespassing.

My term indignant was used in reference to my initial interpretation of your post, which was that Airbnb cancelled the guest and then took 6 hours to clear your calendar. Now I see that your calendar is still blocked. 

Regarding 'Awaiting Payment': this shows up on your list of reservations when you look on your phone or computer. Confirmed bookings switch to green, but unconfirmed bookings remain in black and it clearly states at the top of the booking 'Awaiting payment'. This would have raised alarm bells for me immediately, especially if the guest was checking in the following day. 

Right, and part of what I thought Air BNB guaranteed was hassle free bookings, not the case here.  My question is does Air BNB typically not contact hosts in case of problems with payment, etc...? Is the onus on host to track it?

Well, it just shows up on your list of reservations which, yes, is the host's responsibility to check. Don't you look at your upcoming reservations?

Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

@Diane749, Im assuming your screenshot is telling me your calendar is still blocked. It would me more helpful to just tell me. It sounded as if your calendar had been cleared but your post was difficult to interpret. Anyway, you didn't cancel the guest yourself did you? Because that way your calendar will remain blocked. If Airbnb did cancel the reservation but left your calendar blocked, then yes, I can see the problem. Have you gone into your calendar to see if you can unblock it yourself? Otherwise, you will need to keep calling Airbnb to get them to unblock it. I hope you get it sorted.

Diane749
Level 2
Saskatoon, Canada

If you view the screenshot you will see the problems arising with Air BNB. The guest is in my home after arrival time Air BNB canceled the reservation.

The guest is there. What do you suggest?

@Diane749 I suggest calling both Airbnb and the police immediately. This sounds like a scam - the guest booked the day before without a valid card. Airbnb has cancelled the reservation. They are now trespassing. Call the police and get them out of your home. You might need to consider changing your locks too. I'm sorry this happened to you.

Well I am calling Air BNB and they don't seem to be taking any responsibility for the lapse of time over 18 hours in the booking only ever sending me the accept/decline reservation. Cancelling it over 3 hours after check-in. This is not my typical past experience with Air BNB but it has been this week.

@Diane749 forget Airbnb and call the police. If your guest hasnt paid, they are now TRESPASSING and you need to get them out. But make sure that the payment definitely hasn't gone through - does the reservation actually say 'cancelled'?

Well there are insurances with Air BNB.  I have been on Customer Service help for a long time not getting much of anything from Air BNB> So they are the first in command, and this awful customer service is why I am seeing what the community has experienced.  I thank you for you comments apparently you have not received this sort of trouble from Air BNB, wonder if anyone else has any comments?

Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

@Diane749, I'm trying to help. Please don't count on Airbnb to cover you or get the guest out of your home. You need to call the police. If you don't want to hear this, then you're on your own.