Terrible discussion software that craps out on sending without caching written content

Carl-Erik0
Level 7
Oslo, Norway

Terrible discussion software that craps out on sending without caching written content

This is the third time I tried posting. The first two failed with just an error message. Going back just wiped all the stuff I had written. Nothing was saved! This could easily be handled by client side caching of the notes, so that it could be restored.

Terrible software, but I guess this specific post should be put in some issue tracker.

3 Replies 3
Melodie-And-John0
Level 10
Munnsville, NY

Hi @Carl-Erik0 , I have certainly experienced the OMG  moment when my brilliant retort disappears into the abyss and is never seen by anyone.   I'm pretty sure its not a mistake, its purposeful to make sure that you are still legitimately logged in and the thread hasn't changed since I began writing which could be 10 minutes or 3 hours or more.  What I have found to be the best way to ensure you don't lose the words of wit or mastery you spent time you can never get back is to do a quick "Copy" before you hit reply.  That way, if it goes boom then disappears, you can refresh and paste it like it never even happened.  Good luck and stay well, JR

That is a good tip and one I usually use when commenting on some forums online that are known to be a bit "flaky". And so I have already started doing it here. The thing is, as my day job is as a web developer, I know that AirBnb has some cutting edge technology on the front-end, and this could easily be prevented from happening. Not the bug itself - and it is a bug and not intended behaviour (or why would I get a bug id to report?) - as that happens in all software, but the losing of data. 

If AirBnb had taken the time to ensure the content was saved in the browser before posting it to the server, it would be possible to restore the content if pressing the Back button in the browser. That is why I am a bit unamused. All these tech resources, yet spending one hour of development to implement this basic feature has not been done.

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Carl-Erik0 if you follow this forum and read some of the previous posts, you will soon realize that the airbnb tech team is faaar from perfect, in some instances I would say disastrous.