Terrible guests

Pioneer0
Level 1
Warwick, NY

Terrible guests

So we had a really bad group. 99% of our guests are great. These were just bad apples. There join date was July 2016. First red flag.

Basically our listing states that our farm and the pool are communal in nature i.e. we use the pool. So the guests arrive and initally complain about not being able to work the roku on the tv. hmmmmm. Then I had some relatives visitng from the UK and they complained that they were using the pool. and they wanted a more private experiance. I polietly explained that the pool was for everyone but I would speak to my relatives and ask them to not use the pool when the guests were there. The guests then spent literally every minute at the pool smoking and drinking and activly complaining if people just jumped in for a dip. Our properrty fits four adults, now all of sudden theres 5 adults and two kids. I didnt say anything. They're still complaing about the pool so I offer them a free night for the inconviennce and tell my relatives to not use the pool. I'm starting to get annoyed. One of the guests then decieded to use the country club next door (5 min walk down a busy road) and took our dog / our dog followed. Now this a busy road without much of a sidewalk. And instead of simply turning around and bringing the dog back they continued on there merry way with the dog unleashed! Needless to say I was livid. When I saw on the dogs GPS tracker that she was accross the road at the country club my heart sank. I was terrified. Then to pick her up and see one of our guests I was very confused. But after speaking to neighbors they said that the dog followed and they just walked off with her. Now I'm really pissed. Theyre supposed to stay another night so I make an excuse about a schedualing conflict and ask them to leave the next day ( a day early) and offer a full refund. They agree. The next day comes and they once again ask to spend the whole day by the pool before leaving. I say fine but when the pool cleaning company comes by they needed to add some chemicals and the pool cant be used for a couple hours. They storm off in a huff and leave the place a total disaster. Now theyre sending me threatening messages about reviews if I dont refund they're airbnb service fees! I oblige and refund what I was owed $1135 and their service fees $185. So now I'm in the hole for service fees and the cleaning. But now a guest just cut their foot on glass in the pool! They broke a wine bottle in the pool and didn't tell me! My relatives saw them trying to clean it up. If I have to drain the pool I'm basically out another $1000. It was a pretty disheartening experiance. I have notied a change in our clientele this year. Does this signify the begining of the end of airbnb? Has it become so ubiqutous and mainstream that it now no longer attratcts the type of guests that made airbnb such fun and positive experiance? 

7 Replies 7

This does indeed sound like a horrible experience and I can tell you want to vent.  What they did, was extort money from you under the threat of a bad review.  That's against Airbnb policy. While it sounds like you've already given in, if you haven't yet, stop right there.  Stand up for yourself and your property and don't let bullies put you out thousands of dollars.   

AND WRITE A REVIEW OF THEIR BEHAVIOR!!!! Stick to the FACTS and keep it to the point about the things they DID not about how it makes you feel (they complained about the communal use of the pool, they smoked and drank near the pool area, they took our dog off the property without permission).  Include that you refunded all their money after threat of a bad review.    Unfortuantely it doesn't look like you have any house rules, which makes this difficult since there were no real "rule violations" so anything they did, while rude, wasn't expressly against any policy you have for your property.  

Indeed a problem situation and one that is unpleasant.  

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Pioneer0 Hi there, This is possibly what happens when you try to be all things to all people. Your listings look lovely, but the way you describe each of them, they just come with positives...there is no balance sheet. Everything is about what you provide, not what you expect.......You don't list any house rules!!! You write of relaxing and having a cocktail by the pool, but you don't make mention that it is a shared pool.

There are some people who just need to have boundaries set.

You list your property as available for 4 adults and yet you are all of a sudden catering for 5 plus children....and going along with it! Was this mentioned when they booked with you??

A lot of this also comes down to price. When you are asking the best part of $400 per night, guests will have an expectation that there will be considerably more value for that dollar amount than had it been $200 per night! They will be more demanding.

I am not belittling your listings or saying they are not good value, each of them look wonderful....somewhere I would like to stay. But you must first and foremost remember, you are not a multinational corporation whose entire concept is to make money, come what may, from bricks and mortar This is your house, your personal space that you are inviting strangers into, and you have make them aware from the moment they book that they are priveledged to be entering your world....not you entering theirs.

Set some house rules, some boundaries...and keep to them....cheers....Rob

ps: and keep on being the great hosts that you are!!!

It's against Airbnb policies to either 1) threaten a bad review if the host doesn't refund or ______ (fill in the blank) or 2) for a host to offer something in exchange for a good review.

Otherwise reviews would mean nothing, because no one could count on their veracity.

Aside from the fact that extortion is just plain wrong.

I feel very sorry for what happened to you, but the best remedy would have been to notify Airbnb of the extortion threat and explain the situation. And if you had house rules, such as no glass containers in the pool area, you could notify Airbnb when they were breaking the house rules, even though you didn't find the broken bottle until after they left.

I hope this helps. Kathy

@Pioneer0 I am sooo sorry for what you've gone through.  Like what the others have mentioned, make house rules and don't give up.  With all the stories we read in here, makes us think if there's people out there sabotaging the exciting world of hosting.  It's sad 😞

Stan and Juris

Dee9
Level 10
Moriches, NY

you sound like a sucker who gave in way too much.....you kept giving into all their demands..."fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me."

give THEM a terrible review, then stop blaming airbnb for your foolishness

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Dee9....Hey that is a bit tough Diane! You, and I, and, Matt and Lindsey.......... we try to give our guests the best experience that we can. Your reviews show that you bend over backwards to help people who are no more than strangers, just asw I do, and we all the time look to our guests as lovely people.....we don't start out looking for problems.

As I have said Matt and Lindsey need to set some house rules but, the only thing that would worry me about their style is they have had a couple of host cancellations and, as a guest, that would worry me. I know there are always extenuating circumstances but host cancellations are an absolute no-no!!

Diane I am sure you have gone down the same path as these guys have in the past so, cut them a bit of slack and give them a bit of constructive criticism rather than a big raspberry....cheers.....Rob

Tim217
Level 1
Newburyport, MA

Been there almost.

Germaphobe.!

I  do not release their $250 damage depsoit until my property mrg clears the place. $ 40 per visit from a professional property mgr is a small price to pay for a newbie host like me.

I had a Germaphope who demanded a refund because of leaves in the pool and sand near the outdoor shower. I said i'll cancel the rest of your trip, refund you the $$ and they could spend $400 per night  per person, at the   Hotel  with a kitchen, or grin and bare it at $120 per night with my place. They shut up.

Sarasota Strong!