Thanks to AirBnB...

Isabel203
Level 10
Halifax, Canada

Thanks to AirBnB...

We started hosting this past May, as an experiment. I was pretty sure it would turn out to be more hassle than it was worth. I had a lot of worries: What if guests are gross/horrible/scary/dishonest - What am I getting my family into? Will I constatntly have to be "on", with guets demanding my attention at all hours? What if my neighbours hate me because of this? What if I am a failure?

After 7 months and 45 bookings, I am very glad that we persevered despite my worries. We had 1 super-slobby guest, 2 odd-but-fine guests, and 42 easy-peasey stays.

Recently, my duaghter became very ill and I decided that we couldn't manage hosting and her care at the same time. We only had 2 bookings outstanding and we thought we could manage those. So we put our listing on pause, so we wouldn't get any more reservations, and steeled ourseleves to get through the last 2 guests. Then, my daughter took a turn for the worse and had to be hospitalized. I was a basket case and there was no way I was going to be able to host. I contacted AirBnB and explained the situation (no doubt incoherently) and they were SO supportive. They took care of cancelling the two reservations right away and I was able to get back to looking after my daughter.

It's been a great experience and we hope to be back to hosting soon. Thanks for a good run!

4 Replies 4
Iain16
Level 2
Cape Town, South Africa

I so agree with you ! My first guest was an experience and a half ! To make a long story short - he accused me of extorting deposits, and was just generally a con man who had run out of money for his drinks,smokes and high lifestyle and wanted to get his money back. I sent a lengthy e-mail  to Airbnb and was ready to stop hosting if this is what it meant to be.

The next morning just after 9 am Arbnb had phoned me and were  ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC. They had great empathy for myself and the experience I had to go though with this guest. All in all they did not accept his version of events -had accepted the condtitons of the booking and was denied a refund on many reasons.   After this I thought about it and it was my first review and how dare he tell lies ...contacted the same lady at Airbnb by e-mail and explained the situation and asked that they remove the bad review as it was fabricated. This they did and then asked that my indifferent review on the the guest be removed ( I was fair and non committal)  - that they did too. I am sure that hosts must have experienced disputes with airbnb on deposits etc BUT I must say in my opinion they are wonderful and run a tight ship with high standards!

I took a break for a few months during winter - now back up and running and have had some marvellous and friendly guests - Most people are genuinly nice - the nutters are few and far between.

@Isabel203, I am glad you had a good experience with AirBnB; it is nice to hear the happy stories instead of complaint after complaint.

Mainly, though, I wanted to express my wishes that your daughter return to good health soon.

Thanks @Matthew285, she is on the path to wellness. I hope we will be back to our usual routines by spring 🙂

I’ve been very pleased with Airbnb. Although out of over 100 guests in a little over my first year I’ve had a handful of really bad experiences like theft and damage, parties and such the majority of guests are good people.  I can say Airbnb has been receptive and totally supportive in those rare bad experiences.  I also understand it’s not Airbnb’s fault they can’t control Il meaning folks. 

As as a host you have to know the risk and reward.  If one outways the other then you have to decide if this is for you.